"Normal" Behavior??

I grew up with "normal" American rifle cartridges, 30-06, 30-30 and 300WM. My normal hunting rifle up to recently has been a 300WSM until I got my first big bore 375H&H. I figured that would be good for all plains game I would ever hunt. Then I found out that 375 really is at the bottom of the big boy guns and I felt a little short between the legs. So now I'm thinking that 375 isn't enough...I need more. What if I want to hunt DG? Do I really need a 416Rigby/458Lott/505Gibbs? No of course I don't need any of them, but it doesn't stop me from WANTING them. And that is my problem. I am Eric B and I have an addiction.

Eric welcome to the club of addicted big bore fanatics:D I will assist in your corruption and suggest a 450/400 double, 404 Jeffery, and 470 NE double should be on your dream list.

Thanks AZDAVE, I need a sponsor. Mostly to mediate with the Department of Finance about my ongoing condition. Cheers.

I can mediate for you but since I use the "It's better to seek forgiveness than as for permission mantra" after you buy something, If I tell you to run it means the Department of finance has a cast iron skillet with your name on it in her hand:Punch:

From reading most of these posts, it sounds like most of the people here subscribe to the "easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission" way of doing business. Problem with me is that the DOF (Department of Finance) is well versed in all manner of self defense. I personally have seen her (5'4" and 130#) poke a 6'4, 240# guy in the chest...and he was scared. Rightfully so. I am too. My mantra...Happy wife, Happy life. It's worked well to this point, think I'll stick with it. FYI - the big guy ended up buying her a beer and apologizing for his wrong-doing.

I subscribe to the "buy it, sneak it into the house, and hope she doesn't find out" theory, followed by the "No honey, I've had that gun for a while" theory.

I build a lot of my own rifles spending a little each week then slowly putting it together and letting it be seen but not all at once.
When I built my ar I used gift cards I got at the grocery store thought I was a genius the department of finance got me when she noticed that the fuel perks were adding up quicker than they should. Begged forgiveness and explained that it was for home protection got away with it.
The 404 I’m doing most of the work myself so I just had to smuggle in the barrel with the help of my boys that was accomplished.
I use the build it slowly and hide it in plain sight.
Shawn

I build a lot of my own rifles spending a little each week then slowly putting it together and letting it be seen but not all at once.
When I built my ar I used gift cards I got at the grocery store thought I was a genius the department of finance got me when she noticed that the fuel perks were adding up quicker than they should. Begged forgiveness and explained that it was for home protection got away with it.
The 404 I’m doing most of the work myself so I just had to smuggle in the barrel with the help of my boys that was accomplished.
I use the build it slowly and hide it in plain sight.
Shawn
Genius. Now I just need to learn how to build a rifle. I'm sure I will run across a few threads to help me feed the addiction. Good luck to you with the 404.

Shawn, you may be able to use the home protection reason for your 404. I've used that for several years with a 458 and in recent years for a 404- They're both for protection against rampaging elephants - since I've had them we have not been threatened once by any renegade elephants so it clearly is an effective deterrence.

. ........ I've had them we have not been threatened once by any renegade elephants so it clearly is an effective deterrence.

I can attest to the deterrence factor . My 416’s aura scared every deer out of the woods this past hunting season. Never saw one while I carried it.

My 375 Ruger had that effect in the woods around my house. Two whole seasons until I finally made meat so it must work as a deterrent.
Shawn

Well for the record my big bore are for home defense should the wholly mammoths start hatching out of the of the trees and rampaging through the neighbourhood here in Southern AZ.

Well for the record my big bore are for home defense should the wholly mammoths start hatching out of the of the trees and rampaging through the neighbourhood here in Southern AZ.

I'm sure that your neighbors appreciate your dedication to the defense of your neighborhood which contributes to the prevention of attacks by woolly mammoths. If not for you it's possible history would have been entirely different.

You have given me a new excuse when the 375 Ruger was out in full light I made the excuse of rampageing ele so I didn’t have an excuse for the 404 now I can use mammoth being genetically reintroduced by mad scientist.
Shawn

I haven’t considered the impending wooly mammoth problem. I absolutely need that .505 Gibbs after all.

And where there is woolly mammoth's there are sabre tooth kitty's:P Viking:

Sleep sound my friends I stand guard with my 404Jeff ready to take down any incoming North Korean ICBMs

Sleep sound my friends I stand guard with my 404Jeff ready to take down any incoming North Korean ICBMs
Not sure what is more likely.
North Korea actually shooting at something more than just the ocean or your ability to hit it.
Judging from your confidence, I would pick your marksmanship over his willingness to launch.

Cheers and happy hunting.

Thank you Phil being called a "bad influence" is one of the highest complements that can be given a person:)

you are indeed a bad influence...

and my wife asked me to remind you of that this morning.. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunnyOkn64

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois