Newbie gear list

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by death-from-above, Feb 13, 2014.

1. death-from-above

death-from-above AH Veteran

You experienced guys and gals help out a newbie. I am getting geared up for my trip to Zimbabwe to hunt PG.
    What do I need in my bag ?

2. sestoppelman

sestoppelman AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
    Not as much as you might think. 2-3 changes of clothes is plenty, laundry is done daily for you. Extra socks and shorts is good, doesn't take up much space, be sure and have spares in your carry on in case your main bag is late. Couple pair of shoes/boots that are broke in. Meds and valuables in your carry on, if you have room, cameras, binos etc. Your hunting clothes go in the main bag, though again, if you have room, throw a set in your carry on. Ammo in the main bag in some form of lockable ammo case, not too big, 11 pounds is max. I never have done this before but it sounds like it is becoming necessary. I picked up a small Cabelas ammo box for $7, has a place for a lock. Wrap it up in your clothes, throw a belt around it or tie it off somehow so it stays protected. Use the boots and shoes to stuff small items into, use that space. A couple of coats or jackets are handy. I use a camo canvas bomber style jacket for early hunting and take a light quilted insulated jacket for after dinner around the fire, it does get chilly down there at night and in the morning, often around freezing. A couple of hats for the noggin. I like the boonie packer style and of course the usual baseball type. I wide brim safari hat is cool but often a pain. I take one most trips but often leave it in camp. Treat your hunting clothes with permethrin before you leave home to ward off ticks, it works. Regular bug dope and sunscreen is a must depending on time of year and location. Winter in RSA doesn't really require it but summer in Zim sure would. Make room for gifts for crew, perhaps some clothing to pass out to staff and families. Clothes are always a welcome gift. Some guys buy way too much stuff to hand out I think. Trackers and skinners always wind up with knives, when they probably have more knives than we do! I once took a pair of new sneakers to Zim, thinking I would wear them. I never did but one of the trackers was wearing a really wore out pair of loafers in the bush, so I gave him my new sneakers. He was very pleased to say the least, they even fit! It will come to you as you go along, try not to take too much stuff, most of it wont get used if you do. Again though, you can leave stuff there if you're not attached to it. Extra ammo is traditionally left with the PH for the next guy that might show up sans ammo. Good luck!

3. DOC-404

DOC-404 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
  4. death-from-above

death-from-above AH Veteran

Thanks guys.
    Any and all info. is appreciated !

5. classicsafari

classicsafari AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Aus, New Zealand,New Calidonia, Mongolia, Zim and Moz
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico
    That about sets the standard for minimal packing. But, it will do.
    Assuming you have some cloths on.

[That is one hell of a bore cleaning snake for a rifle.]

7. spike.t

spike.t AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2013 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc,wpaz
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england
  8. Rob404

Rob404 AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo: