Newbie gear list

death-from-above

AH veteran
Reaction score
You experienced guys and gals help out a newbie. I am getting geared up for my trip to Zimbabwe to hunt PG.
What do I need in my bag ?

Not as much as you might think. 2-3 changes of clothes is plenty, laundry is done daily for you. Extra socks and shorts is good, doesn't take up much space, be sure and have spares in your carry on in case your main bag is late. Couple pair of shoes/boots that are broke in. Meds and valuables in your carry on, if you have room, cameras, binos etc. Your hunting clothes go in the main bag, though again, if you have room, throw a set in your carry on. Ammo in the main bag in some form of lockable ammo case, not too big, 11 pounds is max. I never have done this before but it sounds like it is becoming necessary. I picked up a small Cabelas ammo box for $7, has a place for a lock. Wrap it up in your clothes, throw a belt around it or tie it off somehow so it stays protected. Use the boots and shoes to stuff small items into, use that space. A couple of coats or jackets are handy. I use a camo canvas bomber style jacket for early hunting and take a light quilted insulated jacket for after dinner around the fire, it does get chilly down there at night and in the morning, often around freezing. A couple of hats for the noggin. I like the boonie packer style and of course the usual baseball type. I wide brim safari hat is cool but often a pain. I take one most trips but often leave it in camp. Treat your hunting clothes with permethrin before you leave home to ward off ticks, it works. Regular bug dope and sunscreen is a must depending on time of year and location. Winter in RSA doesn't really require it but summer in Zim sure would. Make room for gifts for crew, perhaps some clothing to pass out to staff and families. Clothes are always a welcome gift. Some guys buy way too much stuff to hand out I think. Trackers and skinners always wind up with knives, when they probably have more knives than we do! I once took a pair of new sneakers to Zim, thinking I would wear them. I never did but one of the trackers was wearing a really wore out pair of loafers in the bush, so I gave him my new sneakers. He was very pleased to say the least, they even fit! It will come to you as you go along, try not to take too much stuff, most of it wont get used if you do. Again though, you can leave stuff there if you're not attached to it. Extra ammo is traditionally left with the PH for the next guy that might show up sans ammo. Good luck!

Attachments

• EssentialSafariKit_zps53446b31.jpg
    EssentialSafariKit_zps53446b31.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 211

That about sets the standard for minimal packing. But, it will do.
Assuming you have some cloths on.

[That is one hell of a bore cleaning snake for a rifle.]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross