NEW ZELAND: Our First Hunting Trip To New Zealand

We made it to Wellington, we're overnighting here and going down to Timaru tomorrow.
Yeah ZG47 the weather is not looking too great but as long as our rain gear is up to the task we'll be ok.

Hope you have a great hunt!

Looking forward to hearing about it.

If you didn't know it already, Wellington is the coffee (as well as the political) capital of New Zealand. Make sure that you go to a coffee shop, i.e. NOT a Starbucks, today.

just checked the long range for timaru , mixed bag all week , looks really good next weekend .
Have a good time here in NZ .
Cheers Dory .

don't stress about the weather jduckhunter
you cant change it , so just work it ,mate
you'll be right ...................
find the silent zones ,that's where the deer will be.........
if your on the west coast , your gunna get the dustin we just had ........tomorrow or the next morning.........
enjoy the moment

Yesterday, day one of the hunt we saw a bunch of stags, several fallow bucks and a couple of tahr. Just nothing that we wanted to shoot just yet. Day two and it's raining like crazy, not much going on.

The rain should only last another day, might be good weather for the ducks though. Good luck with the rest of the hunt.

Its only water ,bud.
Liquid sunshine........by the bucket full
Its now stopping to your west ,a thousand miles or so

HPIM0592.JPG
HPIM0628.JPG
Ok day five and I've got my tahr on day 3 and my stag this morning. This trip is turning out to be a blast, I've seen some beautiful country, sweated a bit and froze a bit but it was all worth it. I'll write up a full report later but one thing that I can tell you now is that I am done with Hornady Interbonds. I shot a big non-typical stag this morning at 420 yards, I hit him several times and didn't get very good results and not a single bullet made it thru the other side. I know dead is dead but the way I was hitting him I would have expected him to have been dead a little sooner. I didn't root around inside him to find the bullets but I can only imagine that they came apart or at least over expanded. I used them a couple of days ago on my tahr and was happy with the result but he was much smaller. I got a pass thru on a broadside shot at 240 yards, with an exit hole about 1 inch wide right behind the shoulder. He staggered about 20 feet and collapsed, his lungs were destroyed. So when I say I am done with them I guess what I mean is I'm done with them on larger size critters.
Anyway here's a couple of photos for now, I'll post more latter.

That Tahr is very nice, crazy antler on the stag. Tahr have a reputation for being hard to put down, so interesting the interbond exited the tahr but not the stag.

Check out the tahr my son got yesterday.
DSCF0692.jpeg

If you recover some bullets, please post them. Great pictures BTW.

The lefthander took a cracker thar,what a bueatifull mane.
Yours is a rippper to j,

Congratulations! I like the gnarly horns on the stag. Your tahr looks similar in size to the one I got back in April (6 years old about 10 5/8"). Your son's tahr's horns look longer and what a great mane.

Very good looking tahr. Congrats on a great hunt. Bruce

Day 6 and look what we came across for my son.
HPIM0642.JPG

Wow, what a stag! Man he has to be on cloud 9. Tell him congrats and we need to see the pictures when its up on the wall.

Just got back from NZ myself.....

Congrats on the fine animals.

Day 8 and my daughter and had a bit of luck.
HPIM0663.JPG
HPIM0665.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bj88ak

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,