New trophy room

You are an avid hunter.
Respect.
My favorite is the snow covered whitetail stag.
Regards from Bavaria
Foxi
Thank you sir.

Opinions gentlemen, my taxidermist has my trophies now in his possession. On the leopard I’m toying with the idea of having him do it on a natural base with rocks slightly up hill with my Damaras dik dik slumped on the rocks. I’ll post a picture here of the position I’m going to do, as you can see it’s the traditional tree limb scene. I’m doing the bottom position. I think my idea will make a good display. Thoughts or ideas?

6F5482BD-10E9-4C23-8324-C6FB0B49E599.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
That should look great. Now... if you were to get two more leopards you could display the three of them as shown. THAT would be a real conversation starter.

That should look great. Now... if you were to get two more leopards you could display the three of them as shown. THAT would be a real conversation starter.
Ya. I could talk to the other guys in divorce court. Lol

Yep...three leopards and Johnny would be the talk of the forum!

I've seen the trophies first-hand and met "johnnyblues" the legend. Hell of a nice fella, even if he is a yankee. ;)

The trophies are even more impressive in person than the pictures. It's an awe-inspiring collection that catalogs a lifetime of dedication. Years and years of travel and hunting. My favorite idea from my visit is the addition of a framed picture with the animal next to each trophy. Going to steal that one!

I hope to hunt with Johnny at some point in the future - would be a great dude to share camp with.

As for the leopard, I love the farthest one on the right.

I've seen the trophies first-hand and met "johnnyblues" the legend. Hell of a nice fella, even if he is a yankee. ;)

The trophies are even more impressive in person than the pictures. It's an awe-inspiring collection that catalogs a lifetime of dedication. Years and years of travel and hunting. My favorite idea from my visit is the addition of a framed picture with the animal next to each trophy. Going to steal that one!

I hope to hunt with Johnny at some point in the future - would be a great dude to share camp with.

As for the leopard, I love the farthest one on the right.
Thank you Wes for your kind remarks. Would love to share camp with you as we spoke about. Really enjoyed meeting you.

Last edited by a moderator:
@johnnyblues with your hunter’s passion and eye for realism, I don’t think you can go wrong. I think a pose with a leopard and its prey is gonna turn out really cool. My leopard is in a tree with a puku and probably gets more comments than any other mount. Can’t wait to see it, and hope I can take you up on that visit to see the new abode and room in person and break bread. And if you get the hankering for another safari, count me in no matter what it is!

You know I like that legend thing. I just may have to change my name here!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

@johnnyblues with your hunter’s passion and eye for realism, I don’t think you can go wrong. I think a pose with a leopard and its prey is gonna turn out really cool. My leopard is in a tree with a puku and probably gets more comments than any other mount. Can’t wait to see it, and hope I can take you up on that visit to see the new abode and room in person and break bread. And if you get the hankering for another safari, count me in no matter what it is!

Anytime Mort! We can whip up some good Italian food and wine. I’ll PM you about a hunt in 21 you may be interested in.

Last edited:
Great room and a marvellous selection of trophies! You are justifiably proud of your leopard, but my money is on the grizzly.

Johnny, I don’t know who did those leopard but they are outstanding! You idea is spot on!

Johnny, I don’t know who did those leopard but they are outstanding! You idea is spot on!
Hey bud, yes the leopards are outstanding. Kanati Elite Taxidermy did them. He’s doing my cat as well. He did the red stag/ fallow pedestal as well as the triple pedestal in my trophy room. Also the zebra,hartebeest,duiker, and one whitetail for me. His work is outstanding.

Probably have to agree with the bears in Alaska as being first choice of hunts. Nothing beats being there. Lived there 11 years in 70-80s. Covered a lot of ground. Probably go with buff in Africa next. what memories. Good luck!!

Probably have to agree with the bears in Alaska as being first choice of hunts. Nothing beats being there. Lived there 11 years in 70-80s. Covered a lot of ground. Probably go with buff in Africa next. what memories. Good luck!!

IMO the interior griz, although typically smaller, is a more interesting hunt and a much more beautiful trophy than a coastal bear. The interior bear seems to have more of an attitude. Seems odd to me that the coastal griz has such coarse fur and yet the coastal black bear have fine fur like their interior cousins.

Totally awesome!
And your Springer Spaniel looks so much like the one I had, Chester, that my heart missed a beat when I saw him in the armchair opposite yours.
Love him well, I miss mine so much...

upload_2019-11-1_22-38-48.png

Chester. Hunting Pheasant in New Jersey, with my grand father's Darnes 16 gauge. Early 1990's.

Last edited:
Where did you get the big Ibex? Is it a Bezoar?

Opinions gentlemen, my taxidermist has my trophies now in his possession. On the leopard I’m toying with the idea of having him do it on a natural base with rocks slightly up hill with my Damaras dik dik slumped on the rocks. I’ll post a picture here of the position I’m going to do, as you can see it’s the traditional tree limb scene. I’m doing the bottom position. I think my idea will make a good display. Thoughts or ideas?

View attachment 311589
I love the tree branch but would make the final choice based on what I saw in the wild where I hunted him and match that to some degree. Personally I like looking at the snarling poses at shows, but that's really not my first choice to see every day in my house. Don't want to scare little kids;) I like the face and more relaxed pose of the one on the right, middle one. Except I don't care for the tight curl in the tail. I like the tree branch and tail position on the bottom one.

I love the tree branch but would make the final choice based on what I saw in the wild where I hunted him and match that to some degree. Personally I like looking at the snarling poses at shows, but that's really not my first choice to see every day in my house. Don't want to scare little kids;) I like the face and more relaxed pose of the one on the right, middle one. Except I don't care for the tight curl in the tail. I like the tree branch and tail position on the bottom one.
Thanks Bob, the tree branch was only a referral to the pictures as it seems most leopard are killed in the tree on bait. In my situation he was approaching the tree and not yet in it. So my thoughts were to do it a bit different than most and have him up on the rocks with the dik dik on a free form base. Had I killed him on bait in the tree I would have gone with that look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg