New to Everything

@TheRookie where you from? There’s plenty of big game hunting in the US if you know where to look. If you’re ready to go to Africa this is the place to start planning. I’m not rich and I went last year. Just work out what you want to hunt and start budgeting monthly into a separate account. Questions? Just start using the search tool and asking everyone here!
I’m from Utah. I didn’t grow up hunting and had to find it on my own. Everything we’ve ever hunted with horns, I have had my boys harvest. I have four sons and will probably bring at least one of them with me to Africa when I go.
Hi, and welcome!

Whether you want to hunt in Africa or anywhere else, the first thing you want to do is decide which animals you most want to take. If you want to try Africa, do you want to take dangerous game? Buffalo, leopard, elephant? If plains game, which animals interest you the most? Without dangerous game, a plains game only hunt can be less expensive than a guided hunt in NA. Whichever you choose you have rifles in good calibers. I took a .300 WM and .458 WM on my last safari for buffalo and plains game. Nothing took more than one shot. In NA I've taken mule deer, black bear and moose with the same .300.

If you haven't done much hunting before, you'll find plenty of people willing to help here.

Best of luck,

Doug
I like the idea of dangerous game but I also don’t know I’m ready to drop the money required. For Africa I am torn between getting some great trophies for the living room and pure unadulterated bloodlust of getting to shoot things that are bigger than me for way less $$$ than a hunt in NA.
 
Welcome to the forum.
Guns you already have.

Next step:
Start looking for offers for plains game in South Africa and Namibia.
Generally speaking, cull hunt or management hunts are most economic.
But some trophy plains game hunts are also very attractive.
300 is for all plains game you can imagine
375 is universal for plains game and dangerous game as well, if you want to add buffalo or buffalo cow on the list.

Below is example. Such offers are not uncommon. Find something of your interest, book the hunt, and go. As simple as that.
In the meantime, socialise on the forum and ask question for anything of your interest.
Average timing for forum members, is from date of joining, within a year you will be hunting in Africa. ;)

I like the idea of deals. Any idea what it costs to taxidermy or ship stuff back home? I’m thinking mostly euro mounts
 
I’m from Utah. I didn’t grow up hunting and had to find it on my own. Everything we’ve ever hunted with horns, I have had my boys harvest. I have four sons and will probably bring at least one of them with me to Africa when I go.
Depending on where you are in UT you aren’t that far from a few of us on here in AZ. Also you potentially arent tooo far from Texas if you want to cut your teeth on some hogs or exotics. I do the Texas thing once a year and I would recommend for filling the freezer and a good time.

I definitely recommend taking a kid with you to Africa. I took my wife and both kids last year to Limpopo. Kids shot more than I did and can’t wait to go back.
 
Welcome to the forum, you are in the right place!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,324
Messages
1,572,928
Members
169,650
Latest member
CyrilJudy
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top