New Member: Hello from Missouri, USA

Welcome to AH!

Welcome and enjoy the ride!

Welcome aboard! How about a 338/06?

Welcome to AH,@Mike98. Have fun and let us know if you have questions.

Welcome aboard! How about a 338/06?
The recoil is more than I am looking for in this build. That round is something I can keep in mind for a future build, though. My wife and I want to go to Alaska sometime. She just wants to visit. I want to hunt.

Some of the 25’s make excellent flat shooting low recoil rounds. 25-06, 250 Savage and the 257 Roberts are a couple that come to mind.
Good luck on that build,

Welcome to AH from here in KC. You have picked some nice rounds for your build but none of them are very available here in the US on the commercial market. It sounds like you need a 270, but a 308 may work just as well. If you don't reload you should stay away from all of the European rounds, they are just too hard to find in the USA. Good luck with your build.

I have considered 308 because it is easy to find at the moment. 270 would be a good option, too. I don't reload but I'm not opposed to starting. However, I would probably get my feet wet on a common caliber that I can find help with easily. Then, move to reloading something that is less common. Thanks for the advice!

I'm from Laclede County, Missouri. I have been reading threads on this forum about Mausers and their associated calibers because I am about to build on a Mauser action. I currently trying to decide on the best caliber for me. I've found a lot of knowledge and experience on here. Take care and have a great day!
Welcome to the site Mike98 I’m sure you’ll enjoy it here!! Let us know when you settle on the caliber!!
Best
J

Welcome Mike from a fellow Missourian!

Welcome to AH!

I'm from Laclede County, Missouri. I have been reading threads on this forum about Mausers and their associated calibers because I am about to build on a Mauser action. I currently trying to decide on the best caliber for me. I've found a lot of knowledge and experience on here. Take care and have a great day!
Welcome Mike from another Missouri (Fenton) hunter.

Welcome to the best forum, @Mike98

Welcome to the AH Community from Tennessee!

I am truly amazed at the number of replies and welcomes that I have received! Thank you all!
I wanted to provide an update on what I have decided on and post a couple of pictures, as well. I have decided to go with 7x57. I have actually wanted one for a few years but wanted to be open minded to other calibers. At this point, I am considering getting a Shaw short chambered barrel about 24" long with a 1/9 twist. I am not certain which contour I need for deer hunting and a refined look.
I intend to try to make it look like a classic custom rifle minus the Ebony tip (too expensive). I will be using Leupold Standard bases (purchased) and rings. I may even put a Leupold 3-9x40 on it especially if I find one on sale. Hopefully, it works out to where I can blue the receiver and the barrel to make them match. The stock was given to me and will need some work but a little elbow grease never hurt anyone.
I was wondering if anyone could help me identify the receiver such as what time frame it was made and if it was made for military or commercial use. The marking on the top of the rear of the receiver is .30. There are no other markings on top. The serial number is 04508 - front right. The left side says the name FAB NAT DARMES de GUERRE; HERSTAL - BELGUIQUE ('G' might be a 'C').

Welcome o AH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross