New Mauser vs New Rigby

@Accidental Villain
Could you post a photo of Rigby big game open iron sights? I am corious how they look like.
Thanks.
Busy evening for the beer-assistant,,;D non the less, here are some pics.
11A29B16-D5A4-4CD8-8545-ECBDE07F026B_1_201_a.jpeg
87B2C29B-DF7C-4894-8B47-22A15E67DBBC_1_201_a.jpeg

@Accidental Villain
Thanks for posting (despite all that beer).
They trully look nice!

Have you tried shooting on designated distances for each of folding sight? How are they regulated?

My 416 Rigby’s test target was shot with the 65 yard sight using Hornady DGS 400 grain factory. Not sure what length Rigby shoot over but assuming 65 yards.

anyway with Hornady DGS I have shot her at steel plates at 200 and 300 yards. And on paper from 25 meters out to 100 meters. Hits were pretty close to the point of aim on all three sights ….mostly.

my 375 Big Game had just 20 rounds of stuff that she was factory sighted for fired onto paper with just the 65 yard sight. Was spot on at 65 and 100 yards.

my 30/06 HS was factory zeroed with a 150 grain factory load. I’ve only ever fired 180 grain pills through her so I can’t say.

@Accidental Villain
Thanks for posting (despite all that beer).
They trully look nice!

Have you tried shooting on designated distances for each of folding sight? How are they regulated?
Thanks! Its an absolutely gorgeous rifle. I`ve never tried it at distance and have never used the folding sights. Its an old vintage Rigby so I never take it to the range. I want to conserve the barrel as much as possible. It can hit a nail head at 50 meters so I guess its regulated at around 50-60 meters.

It blows my mind that the Rigby Stalking rifle has a rubber truck tire buttpad on it. At that price point for what’s basically deer rifle calibers they should be doing better than that.

It blows my mind that the Rigby Stalking rifle has a rubber truck tire buttpad on it. At that price point for what’s basically deer rifle calibers they should be doing better than that.

Ummm, I believe that mine has a silvers pad…

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 8.09.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 8.09.14 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 8.09.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 8.09.16 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
I assume you must have missed that whole golden age thing of British gun and rifle building?

I assume you must have missed that whole golden age thing of British gun and rifle building?

Yep, calling a Silvers pad a truck tire is a little off the mark.

No what I’m saying is if you need an inch of rubber to absorb the recoil of your ‘06 or .275 or .256 you’re not going justice to said era. Did every rifle of reasonable level of recoil from that period come out with a red slab of rubber on the butt? The answer of course is no, not even close. You can’t deny that steel or leather covered buttpad looks infinitely better than the pencil eraser look.

Reactions: CJW
You can’t deny that steel or leather covered buttpad looks infinitely better than the pencil eraser look.

I will never be able to look at them as anything other than a pencil eraser again.

Personally I have never seen the sense in the red pad on a fine firearm. You're right, it does remind you of a pencil eraser. Even the black pads on my guns, though less visually attracting than red, look inferior to a being wrapped with a nice piece of leather. I have 5 that I plan on doing. The pad on the VC that Mr. Cary posted is much more muted, but I can't look at a gun and reconcile that fine wood and metal work is better accompanied by red rubber over leather.

I will never be able to look at them as anything other than a pencil eraser again.

Personally I have never seen the sense in the red pad on a fine firearm. You're right, it does remind you of a pencil eraser. Even the black pads on my guns, though less visually attracting than red, look inferior to a being wrapped with a nice piece of leather. I have 5 that I plan on doing. The pad on the VC that Mr. Cary posted is much more muted, but I can't look at a gun and reconcile that fine wood and metal work is better accompanied by red rubber over leather.
Leather is nice, though it was normally reserved for shotguns. I have leather on at least half of my pigeon guns. Obviously a client could order what he wished on a bespoke rifle. I have seen a couple of period rifles with leather covered pads, but they are, at least in my experience, rare. Where leather shined was in assisting the quick mounting of a shotgun. I slid cleanly across either a waistcoat or jacket. Speed and a clean mount were a necessity with the traditional instinctive shooting style that was pretty much universal in the Edwardian era. A checkered butt provided the same smooth surface, but was a poor choice for a general purpose gun that might be stood in a corner. The Silver's pad provided protection and a secure fit in the pocket of the shoulder. Ideal for a rifle. It offers essentially no recoil reduction and is not intended to do so.

Last edited:
The silvers pad provides the traditional classic look that most people want in classic style firearms. Unfortunately, it is as hard as a hockey puck and does nothing to disseminate recoil. A big pencil eraser would definitely be more comfortable. :ROFLMAO:

I had a leather covered pachmayr recoil pad installed on my Highland Stalker as the wife and I share the rifle at times. I had a NECG red recoil pad put on my 416 Rigby Big Game. It made a huge difference in felt recoil. The wife wanted to keep the silvers pad on her London Best 275. She was recently comparing it with the NECG pad on the 416 and is considering having her silvers pad replaced with the NECG recoil pad. She said when she is hunting, she never feels or thinks about recoil, but she gets beat up a bit doing range practice.

Safe shooting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you