Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
NRA (Life), True Green Alliance
Hunted
USA, Finland, Canada, Africa, Greenland
Today I had the chance to handle and dry-snap a new Rigby Highland Stalker, and my impression was highly positive--especially at the price of just under $ 8 grand US. The only thing negative I could possibly say about it, if I really had to, was that the barrel swivel ring is a bit clunky--so if that's the worst nit I could pick in a rifle, it's a definite winner.

Before I "pull the trigger" on that purchase, though, I want to learn more about the new H&H bolts--a .300 H&H in that configuration would be justabout the perfect all-round rifle for North America and much of the world. Only, it's so hard to learn anything about them without resorting to a paid H&H employee, who of course would give a biased account.

Does any of you have any experience with new H&H bolt actions? My bet is that they are positioned quite a bit higher than the Rigby in both price and perceived quality--but again, any first-hand account would be much appreciated.

PS: I know, if I like the Rigby, why think about the H&H? I'm an H&H fanatic and that's what I shoot--I guess I'm just a sucker for the brand. Pathetic, but I can't help it.

Thanks

Tom

Wasn't even aware H&H had a new bolt gun out. Be sure to post your opinion and a pic if you find one....or someone that owns one!

This is what it looks like from the right side--it has quite a nice raised cheekpiece on the left:

Bolt-Action-Rifle.jpg

It also appears that they have three grades: best quality, deluxe, and bolt action. The picture above is for the "bolt action" grade.

Attachments

• Bolt-Action-Rifle.jpg
    Bolt-Action-Rifle.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 240
This is what it looks like from the right side--it has quite a nice raised cheekpiece on the left:

Bolt-Action-Rifle.jpg
If this is a new model, what is it called?

They simply call it "the bolt action." It's the lowest of their three grades, the other two being "deluxe" and "best quality."

I have NEVER heard any reports about it, though--unlike the Rigby, which they are doing a fantastic job marketing. The guy from the shop today told me that this year alone he has sold approximately a thousand pieces. Not bad for a $8K rifle.

They simply call it "the bolt action." It's the lowest of their three grades, the other two being "deluxe" and "best quality."

I have NEVER heard any reports about it, though--unlike the Rigby, which they are doing a fantastic job marketing. The guy from the shop today told me that this year alone he has sold approximately a thousand pieces. Not bad for a $8K rifle.
I was able to dig up as of 2014 the cost of the basic rifle was about $43,000. So if that is correct, then no comparison to the Rigby.
https://www.businessinsider.com/range-rover-holland-and-holland-most-expensive-suv-2014-11
"Another reason why this Range Rover costs so much is the fact that Holland & Holland guns are expensive — ridiculously expensive. With price tags ranging from $43,000 to $277,000 for the "Royal" double barrel shotgun, the company's guns make the high priced-Range Rover feel like a bit of a bargain."

looking at their websitesugests that ther bolt rifles are still in the pre ww2 design phase of american rifles.
it seems that you pay for wood, engraving, and the name.
if their rifle building exoertise is where their stock design is, do no expect the accuracy of many cheaper american factory rifles.
the big bucks are not justifiable unless you want unnecessary things.
rigby, the new mauser 98, dakota, and others look like much better rifles much cheaper.
bruce.

this thread prompted a look at purdey website.
they claim to have a new mauser type action made in london.
their stock design looks far better tha hollend's.
they now offer a metal chassis inletted into the wood.
they just seem to be more in touch.
bruce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross