Lifetime bronze benefactor
Platinum supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Just finished firing 40 bullets through my new Chapuis 450-400 and what a dream rifle! LOP to my specs make so much difference. Placed two shots within two inches one in bulls eye at 100 yards off sticks. Thrilled. Also I forgot which member shared squaring up on sticks versus fight foot far back is a genius. That too makes a good difference. Happy!!!!

Nice, can't wait for my 470 to be imported! George Caswell at Chaplin's told me it should be in at the end of May and then I'm going to have JJ install a Trijicon RMR sight on it!

Glad to hear you like your Chapuis. I've been a cheerleader for the brand for a few years now. I have hunted with my Chapuis 375 H&H double in Africa on two safaris and the rifle is fun to shoot. I did the same thing as 358Norma and put a Trijicon RMR on mine. Made all the difference.

I have same Trijicon scope and agree. I find the lowest lighted dot set works best for me...aim small miss small

It is one of those happy ones Rare Breed when "told you you would like it!" sounds perfectly right :)

I am happy for you, after your disappointing experience with the Rizzini .470.

Regarding the position on the sticks, if you are referring to the below, these are mine and I am happy that they helped you :)

It is just simple applied geometry but it is amazing how accurate one can become with the proper position on the sticks, and it is amazing how many folks have an incorrect shooting stance on the sticks because no one ever showed them the right way :cry:

Incorrect rifle middle on sticks.jpg

Incorrect rifle position on the sticks. Resting the rifle in the middle of the stock magnifies the effect on the muzzle of the side to side sway at the stock butt.

Correct rifle forearm on sticks.jpg

Correct rifle position on the sticks. Resting the rifle at the end of the forearm minimizes the effect on the muzzle of the side to side sway at the stock butt.

Incorrect feet position for sticks.jpg

Incorrect feet positions behind the sticks. The feet in line with the tripod do not provide side to side sway control.

Correct feet position for sticks.jpg

Correct feet positions behind the sticks. The wide stance controls side to side sway, and leaning on the tripod controls front to back sway.

From the solid support triangle of a well executed standing position on the sticks, a well practiced shooter will hit a 2" bullseye at 50 yards and 4" bullseye at 100 yards 100% of the time with a well regulated quality double rifle, and a 6" steel plate at 300 yards 90+% of the time with a quality scoped rifle.

Practice a few thousand rounds with a quality bolt action .22 LR shooting a 4" plate at 100 yards, it will literally change your big game shooting life. When this becomes too easy, practice a few thousand rounds with a quality bolt action .223 Rem shooting a 6" plate at 300 yards. This will result in another quantum leap in your big game shooting life :)

Last edited:
One day you are the genius!!! I found recoil and easy control of the shot so much better with your more squared up stance on sticks! Much appreciated and thanks so much for your expertise!!!

Enjoy Rare Breed.Glad its shooting well and you are much more comfortable than with the .470

Looking forward to having you and seeing the Chapuis in action!

#One Day is spot on with the feet and rifle position on the sticks and his illustration will help a lot of hunters.Good Work #One Day !

@One Day... Thank you for putting it into a math problem. I shoot exactly the same way and have since i was a young lad and a old grey beard taught me how to properly shoot and manage big bore recoil. I just never thought of it in a geometry point of reference:E Hmmm:

My chapuis 9.3 is my favorite rifle period. Your 450/400 is a perfect rifle to hunt most anything that walks. Cogratz on a new double.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg