Ike85123

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
None
Im not a shotgun guy. Only owned a few in my life. I was looking to see if anyone can tell me the pros and cons. I do have an affinity for antiques, but only to the point that they are useful. I would like to get it in 12ga and stay under 5k. I love the way the old parker double looks but also love the look of the Berreta o/u. Im not a bird hunter. Gun will see most use at the range or some clays.

The Parker is only going to shoot lead. You can have it rechambered to fit modern shells, otherwise you will be shooting RST shells, even rechambered you may still only want to shoot RST shells. The original stocks had a lot of drop, thus a lot of felt recoil. To have it restocked and restored is quite expensive. Look for a restore by Larry Del Grego & Sons or buy a beater and have them do it but you will be in over 5k.

A new Beretta will shoot lead, steel, etc. Modern stock. Cheaper overall investment.

Need to purchase from a reputable dealer in case of a vintage gun. Can turn into a much more costly investment quickly. That said, I love the older shotguns and have been hunting with pre 1940 builds for almost all my upland shooting for the past 5 years.

The Parker is only going to shoot lead. You can have it rechambered to fit modern shells, otherwise you will be shooting RST shells, even rechambered you may still only want to shoot RST shells. The original stocks had a lot of drop, thus a lot of felt recoil. To have it restocked and restored is quite expensive. Look for a restore by Larry Del Grego & Sons or buy a beater and have them do it but you will be in over 5k.

A new Beretta will shoot lead, steel, etc. Modern stock. Cheaper overall investment.
Thank you.
I seen a old parker for 1200 that needs alot of work. Would be a great looking gun. But I would like to be practical. So as you suggest, the berreta, probably is the best option for me.

Beretta if you going to be doing mostly Clays...ì have berettas and brownings...seem to use the brownings more...but haven't bought any in about 20 years and the new ones I haven't a clue about as models have changed...and ones I have are fine ...

Beretta if you going to be doing mostly Clays...ì have berettas and brownings...seem to use the brownings more...but haven't bought any in about 20 years and the new ones I haven't a clue about as models have changed...and ones I have are fine ...
I have an old ruger red label from when I was kid. Its still a great shooting shotgun.
I was just looking for something different.
Trying to sort out the good vs the bad.
I know from a practical point, the berreta will be cheaper and have parts available. The parker will just be athletically pleasing. Lol
Some good points coming in.
I might just have to get the berreta for now, get a project parker or similar later?
Just looking for something new to do. Our shooting range has stayed open through this whole virus deal, thank god. About the only thing to do still around my city.

Beretta definitely. In your "under 5k" budget, look for either the 692 or the newer 694. They are Beretta's mid price sporting clay guns. I have the 692 Black edition and love it. Beautiful shotgun and shoots as good as it looks. The new 694 has gotten great reviews from quite a few reviewers. Check out youtube for either Lloyd Pattison or The Gun Shop. Both of these sites give very good reviews of all shotguns and both of them really liked the 694 in recent reviews. FYI, the 694 is the "new and improved" version of the 692 which has been out for about 6 or 7 years. I haven't handled one, so can't speak to whether it's an upgrade that the average shooter would notice. My 692 is fine for me. The Beretta website is also good for checking out their line of shotguns.

Some folks prefer the SxS and others prefer the O/U. I suggest you try both and see which best meets your needs. Beretta and Parker are good shotguns and you can do well with either.

TIP- my "old" Parker with Damascus barrels was made in the year 2000 and has many hard miles on it., including lead, copper plated, and Bismuth shot. It still works:
53474_600x400.jpg

My new Parkers are Parker Reproductions and I have matching 20 ga and 12 ga guns. I have shot many types of modern factory ammo in both with no problems. See 20 ga below:
53029_600x400.jpg

Have fun with which ever you choose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you.
I seen a old parker for 1200 that needs alot of work. Would be a great looking gun. But I would like to be practical. So as you suggest, the berreta, probably is the best option for me.
I had a Parker redone in 2016, $4800.

Some folks prefer the SxS and others prefer the O/U. I suggest you try both and see which best meets your needs. Beretta and Parker are good shotguns and you can do well with either.

TIP- my "old" Parker with Damascus barrels was made in the year 2000 and has many hard miles on it., including lead, copper plated, and Bismuth shot. It still works:
View attachment 396184

My new Parkers are Parker Reproductions and I have matching 20 ga and 12 ga guns. I have shot many types of modern factory ammo in both with no problems. See 20 ga below:
View attachment 396183

Very nice ! I love the classic look and style !

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CJW
Another down side of old shotguns can be the inability to change choke tubes. This may or may not apply to you.

Another down side of old shotguns can be the inability to change choke tubes. This may or may not apply to you.
I live in a small town. Only 1 gun store. They usually only have ar15s and pink 380s. So im gonna drive up to Phoenix this next week and look around.

Reactions: CJW

View attachment 396184

View attachment 396183

I assume "2000" was a typo and you meant 1900? :cool:

@Ike85123 Parkers are a real collector gun. That tends to mean medium to high-grad guns in fine condition or better are extremely expensive. It also means old, tired guns that may or may not have hidden issues cost far more than a basic boxlock should. As I have noted on other threads, I would estimate half to two-thirds of the older SxS's I look at have issues that range from expensive to extremely expensive to make right. As others note, the majority of vintage guns can not be used with steel shot and many more should not be fed with anything heavier than 1 1/8 ounce loads regardless of chamber length.

Shooting a SxS well is an acquired skill. It takes years to become really proficient. You state that you have experience with a Red Label. A Beretta would be a logical step up from that gun. It would also be far more versatile than any vintage options out there today.

Last edited:
... also love the look of the Berreta o/u. Im not a bird hunter. Gun will see most use at the range or some clays.

If you are not going to hunt and the gun will be used for clays then I'd get the O/U much better suited for what you will use it for. Here is a link to one close to top of your range.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 3.53.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 3.53.17 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 101
O/U Beretta if you’re just getting into the shotgunning sports. Easier to learn to shoot well. A strong reliable shotgun. Modern design and materials. JMO&E
Best of luck in your decision!

That is a beautiful gun !
I dont have much experience with shotguns. I have an old Savage that is really light, works great for keeping my mind in control for heavy recoil.
I have a ruger o/u i got as a kid in like 86. Its a great gun.
I was just looking at clays as a possible new hobby until all the madness is over.
Im a lefty. Usually have to order what I want.

Im a lefty. Usually have to order what I want.

I am a lefty as well. One pleasant surprise when I got into shotguns was how many choices I had for a lefty, add the adjustable comb and you are set. Just about every major manufacturer has lefty versions of their shotguns.

"I assume "2000" was a typo and you meant 1900?"

Yes and thank you.

Time for a hot shower and a na;p.

I assume "2000" was a typo and you meant 1900? :cool:

@Ike85123 Parkers are a real collector gun. That tends to mean medium to high-grad guns in fine condition or better are extremely expensive. It also means old, tired guns that may or may not have hidden issues cost far more than a basic boxlock should. As I have noted on other threads, I would estimate half to two-thirds of the older SxS's I look at have issues that range from expensive to extremely expensive to make right. As others note, the majority of vintage guns can not be used with steel shot and many more should not be fed with anything heavier than 1 1/8 ounce loads regardless of chamber length.

Shooting a SxS well is an acquired skill. It takes years to become really proficient. You state that you have experience with a Red Label. A Beretta would be a logical step up from that gun. It would also be far more versatile than any vintage options out there today.
I agree. I dug around the net ,seems alot of them are being sold with issues. Im not a gunsmith. I always take mine in for any repairs other than a stock replacement.
I believe the beretta is the right choice. Thanks

Thats great news.
Growing up the only companies that madr lefyyd i knew about was ruger and savage. The as a teen, i learned Remington followed suit. Still never seen them in stores. Ive stayed away from new rifles for years because i never seen what i needed. Even cabelas will only have like 10 leftyd in their 1000 rifle sales room. I bought my heym dr in 2014. But before that i haven't bought a gun since 2005. That was a 700cdl to replace my 700bdl Remington.
I believe the beretta will do nicely. I don't really need any morr antique guns. I have a safe full of my dads and grandfather's gund in storage. Put them in storage 26yrs ago when my father passed and haven't looked at them since. So i suppose another relic would just be silly and not practical. Thanks
I am a lefty as well. One pleasant surprise when I got into shotguns was how many choices I had for a lefty, add the adjustable comb and you are set. Just about every major manufacturer has lefty versions of their shotguns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg