New .275 Rigby

I'm not sure to what extent work is carried out at Rigby, in-house, but the big name makers have always relied heavily upon outworkers (and of course, when it comes to the M98 action, these have, since day one, been sourced from the continent).

I have to say, that's good to hear, and perhaps I'm overly sceptical of the new Rigby....I must also have to be honest and admit I'm often sceptical of companies using other manufacturers products and slapping their label on them...not that Rigby does that or try to hide working closely with Mauser, but they sure ain't no Westley Richards when it comes to in house manufacturing, that's all I say. Yes, before someone points it out, WR also use the Mayfair Engineering Mauser 98 action.

I'll have to take a tour of the Rigby facilities to fully understand how credible their new outfit is, run my hand over the lathes, look at some blanks, talk to the engraving and leatherware making teams...cough..
Well then.

No UK maker ever was or is filing up Mauser 98 actions in house. And I am not certain the ability to stitch a sling or any other piece of leather has much to do with the quality of a rifle. Cough. And I am particularly glad this one is exactly what I expected without having to wait to have it redone. Cough - sniffle - sneeze.

The Highland Stalker is a limited production rifle with many of the characteristics found on custom products. It is not intended to be a bespoke. From an American perspective, think of it as Dakota class rifle. A bespoke London or Birmingham rifle would be what someone like Paul Chapman could build you over the next three years.

Since I actually have one of these rifles in hand, and because I can compare it to similar products from the inter-war years of the same class (Wesley Richards .318/ Cogswell .318/ and a couple of more) , I can feel somewhat informed in saying Rigby exceeded my expectations. In quality, it equals or surpasses each of the others (particularly w/r to stock quality, trigger pull, and inherent accuracy). And best of all, I don't need to wait around through a couple of years of use to have it refinished.

Last edited:
I have to say, that's good to hear, and perhaps I'm overly sceptical of the new Rigby....I must also have to be honest and admit I'm often sceptical of companies using other manufacturers products and slapping their label on them...not that Rigby does that or try to hide working closely with Mauser, but they sure ain't no Westley Richards when it comes to in house manufacturing, that's all I say. Yes, before someone points it out, WR also use the Mayfair Engineering Mauser 98 action.

I'll have to take a tour of the Rigby facilities to fully understand how credible their new outfit is, run my hand over the lathes, look at some blanks, talk to the engraving and leatherware making teams...cough..
I toured both Westley Richards and John Rigby last October. This was before Simon Clode's death and Trigger took over. I had not met Simon prior, but have known Marc for about 3 years. I made contact with Simon by phone to request a tour and Marc by email. They both immediately approved my request. Westley is a much larger concern than Rigby and has many more gunsmiths. I am no engineer, but know what a lathe is. Not sure I would want to put my hand on a machine designed to cut steel, without being trained how to use it....and I'm not. Both shops will impress you, but not quite in the same way. If you go, be sure to give us your thoughts once you return!

not sure what you are implying with your "cough" crap at the end of your post, but check out the london best rifle and the doubles........there is a thread on here about rigbys where i posted some photos sent to me by marc showing a best london rifle being made and parts of a double. it also gave a brief description of the company now, and even the fact that a young lady who is a descendant of john rigby is working there now on the rising bite double rifles......i havent got time or decent enough internet speed here to start looking for this thread, but am sure one of my friends on here else will pull it up for me.....

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/wanted-rigby-416.32547/page-2#post-311571
I believe this is the multi posts thread @spike.t is referring to. Great back and forth between he and rookhawk about a legend!

thanks for pulling that up. the sat internet is so bloody slow at the moment....marc has emailed me some photos of the rising bite ...i think its that anyway but the photos wont load at the moment. short 150kms drive to town tomorrow to get some stuff, so might be better there and i can stick them on. cheers :D Beers:

thanks for pulling that up. the sat internet is so bloody slow at the moment....marc has emailed me some photos of the rising bite ...i think its that anyway but the photos wont load at the moment. short 150kms drive to town tomorrow to get some stuff, so might be better there and i can stick them on. cheers :D Beers:

I just re-read that thread....and between @Red Leg 's new rifle and that thread...I now want a new Big Game Rigby in 416 Rigby more than ever. I best sell off a few toys first....:unsure:

Another question...what ever happened to the trip to Rigby for @rookhawk ?

I just re-read that thread....and between @Red Leg 's new rifle and that thread...I now want a new Big Game Rigby in 416 Rigby more than ever. I best sell off a few toys first....:unsure:

I agree with you fully, just maybe avoid any made in California!!! Still don't know what happen to @rookhawk. He has really laid low since his Zimbabwe disaster. If he ever made the Rigby tour, I never heard about it. @TTundra, you live in Illinois as does RL. Track him down and tell him to get back on the forum!!!

Can't go wrong with a new Rigby......and most of the used ones!!!!

I took another look at the stock. That is really very interesting grain. On the photo the checkering hides the transition from the verticle marbling of the stock to the nice horizontal flow through the grip. But, I think it's quite unique. Very nice

Redleg, don't get me wrong, Rigby makes beautiful rifles and are amazing craftsmen. I'm not doubting the integrity or your rifle, but I suppose I'm more just irked by some companies passing work or pieces on as their own, again, not saying Rigby 'does' this as they're pretty clear they use outsourced mauser parts and maybe even stock blanks for some of their series, but there's a lot (too much) of this going on in the gun industry..

Even Mauser from whom I'm buying that very expensive factory rifle, which isn't anywhere near the specs I would like it to be, are being straight up disgraceful with their usage of Recknagel parts,,which, if it was Mauser as it 'should' be, would be designed in house, made in house, and each and every part of the rifle stamped with matching se...rial numbers.

Being a Mauser 98 fanatic, I sort of must own one of these, esp. since I can get my paws on one of the limited edition ones...but I will no lie, no, I am also very disappointed in some of the aspects of the rifle I'm buying.

I had set around $25,000 aside for a custom rifle and had the specs all laid out,, but in the end, I really can't do another 3 year wait for a hunting rifle..so I'll settle for a new original M98..

reg. the rising bite..is it not Jens Ziegenhahn in Germany that makes these, and Rigby just stocks and tops and tails them?

"Out source stock blanks" Maybe we are simply divided by a common language - but, well yeah. I mean, unless they acquired their own old growth Juglans Regia grove, they are buying their blanks from somewhere - just like every other rifle builder on the planet of which I am aware. And I still don't get your angst about outsourcing mauser parts - If Wesley Richards were to build you a bespoke mauser tomorrow they would not file up a mauser action in house. I would simply argue that the interdependent cottage industry that has always characterized semi-production and custom gunmaking of the gunmaking centers of Europe has simply gone worldwide - certainly European-wide. Even Holland & Holland has always "outsourced" elements of the guns and rifles they build. Wesley Richards was probably the most proficient at it of all. And lest we wax too nostalgic about German purity, Suhl functioned pretty much like Birmingham East - we just have fewer records of that industry thanks to the war and Soviet vandalism .

For instance, I have a magnificent WWI era H. Lindner that is the equal in quality of any English gun in the gun room. We know a bit about him, because Charles Daly imported a number into this country soon after the turn of the century. We know Lindner filed up his actions in house - though we suspect the basic forgings were acquired from the Suhl trade (like everyone else). His barrels - every one marked with his traditional crossed pistol mark - exhibit different Damascus characteristics depending upon the source of that particular blank. In other words, he was not rolling iron and steel "in house". He was finishing, filing, and regulating. And he sure as heck wasn't growing his own stocks in the backyard of his urban workshop. Yet, no one would ever make the argument that his incredible creations weren't Lindners. I would argue that the business model is the same today - merely moved European-wide.

Finally, I am not trying to argue that my new rifle is the same as a 25k bespoke Wesley Richards or a similar quality weapon from Hartmann & Weiss. It isn't. I own an exquisite Al Lind in 7x57. It isn't that rifle either. But it is a truly wonderful semi-production creation absolutely in the spirit and quality class of the Corbett .275 upon which it was designed.

Last edited:
I did mean pre CNC machined blanks, not just blanks, sorry.

Irrespective, you're quite right in your points and arguments; however, I think today some manufacturers are lingering on being cheeky with the components they use in respect of their price points, and the degree of credit they take for it under their own brand. No, W.R do not machine their own M98 actions, but they do machine their own double rifle and shotgun actions.

But this is not about WR vs Rigby vs Mauser - my angst and comments were based on the fact that some gunmakers really 'should' be doing more (and more in-house) for their price points, and some blatantly just take the pi$$ IMHO.

I also realise it's a heck of a tough industry to cut it in, and to survive you have to define a business model that makes it financially viable, even if it means production via outsourcing and re-branding...

I recently worked for a business buying in products from XYZ companies, removing their labels, attaching their own, and reselling them as their own brand at a 200% price hike by re-positioning the product..made me sick..when I suspect the gun trade is involved in similar tricks, it disheartens me,,but that said, I'm not accusing anyone discussed here of these practices.

he never show

he never appeared at sci , or if he did he never went to the rigby stand as i checked with marc on a daily basis...........

Wanna put a bet on that? I do!..otherwise something has changed I didn't know about, but I seriously doubt that.

photos of rising bite marc sent me plus others from the other thread....@fiocchi maybe you should have bought a rigby instead of the mauser that has so many defects..... apologies @Red Leg for bit of a hijack....but.......:rolleyes:

img_0565-jpg.163700

img_0564-jpg.163703

img_0563-jpg.163704

img inletting.jpg

IMG_5337.JPG
IMG_5336.JPG
IMG_5330.JPG
IMG_5328.JPG
IMG_5322.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
ha, no no no, that's them doing final fitting to the inletting of what I suspect is a pre supplied stock. Good try to make pictures look like something else.. I can tell you right now they do not machine any of those parts. Maybe they regulate the supplied barrels at a push.
very few in the uk can machine and barrel doubles, I don't believe they're one, sorry to burst your bubble fella

Wanna put a bet on that? I do!..otherwise something has changed I didn't know about, but I seriously doubt that.
reg. the rising bite..is it not Jens Ziegenhahn in Germany that makes these, and Rigby just stocks and tops and tails them?

should have taken you up on that .......

Sent: 14 July 2017 20:10
To: Michael Taylor
Subject: Re: Rising Bite

Absolute rubbish.

Our Rising Bites are 100% British, apart from the wood which is Turkish. Even our steel is British.

Marc Newton
Managing Director

You can tell the guys on AH that I'm emailing you from my bed as I recover from Sepsis. I did get a chuckle when I read the recent posts, seems some people know more about what happens at Rigby than I do....... ;-)

When I get back to the workshop, I'll take some video of my actioners building some Rising Bite double rifles and send over for you. Also my stock maker who starts from a block of walnut and cuts everything by hand.

Marc Newton
Managing Director

Marc has also extended an open invitation to any AH member that if they are in london to pay a visit to the Rigby showroom and workshops.

The best part of those pictures is the one with the bolt action being checkered,,esp because of the email in the background from James brockward? About his pair guns not working and ejecting..love it :)
Fiochi - I assume that English is not your mother tongue. I say that because of some of your phrasing and dated use of idioms, but most importantly, because I choose to not believe that you are being deliberately insulting. I have spoken to Mark about the rising bite, and he was very emphatic that it was English made. I believe him and choose to believe you don't know what you are talking about. Your case is also not helped by seizing on one reported case of a feeding problem (I believe that is what you were trying to say), as justifying your assumptions about Rigby not really building but only finishing their rifles. I know half a dozen owners of the big game rifle and now, at least two, of the stalker. The rifles are functionally perfect.

Finally, I truly am failing to get your point. Rigby proudly acknowledges that they partner with Mauser. They do so just as their predecessor did with Oberndorf prior to the war. From this consumer's perspective - that is nothing but a good thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg