New .275 Rigby

The best part of those pictures is the one with the bolt action being checkered,,esp because of the email in the background About his pair guns not working and ejecting..love it :)

not sure what your problem is......but your attitude is getting tiresome.....rigbys offer a repair and servicing facility for many makes of rifles and shotguns not just their own......

Last edited by a moderator:
"Out source stock blanks" Maybe we are simply divided by a common language - but, well yeah. I mean, unless they acquired their own old growth Juglans Regia grove, they are buying their blanks from somewhere - just like every other rifle builder on the planet of which I am aware. And I still don't get your angst about outsourcing mauser parts - If Wesley Richards were to build you a bespoke mauser tomorrow they would not file up a mauser action in house. I would simply argue that the interdependent cottage industry that has always characterized semi-production and custom gunmaking of the gunmaking centers of Europe has simply gone worldwide - certainly European-wide. Even Holland & Holland has always "outsourced" elements of the guns and rifles they build. Wesley Richards was probably the most proficient at it of all. And lest we wax too nostalgic about German purity, Suhl functioned pretty much like Birmingham East - we just have fewer records of that industry thanks to the war and Soviet vandalism .

For instance, I have a magnificent WWI era H. Lindner that is the equal in quality of any English gun in the gun room. We know a bit about him, because Charles Daly imported a number into this country soon after the turn of the century. We know Lindner filed up his actions in house - though we suspect the basic forgings were acquired from the Suhl trade (like everyone else). His barrels - every one marked with his traditional crossed pistol mark - exhibit different Damascus characteristics depending upon the source of that particular blank. In other words, he was not rolling iron and steel "in house". He was finishing, filing, and regulating. And he sure as heck wasn't growing his own stocks in the backyard of his urban workshop. Yet, no one would ever make the argument that his incredible creations weren't Lindners. I would argue that the business model is the same today - merely moved European-wide.

Finally, I am not trying to argue that my new rifle is the same as a 25k bespoke Wesley Richards or a similar quality weapon from Hartmann & Weiss. It isn't. I own an exquisite Al Lind in 7x57. It isn't that rifle either. But it is a truly wonderful semi-production creation absolutely in the spirit and quality class of the Corbett .275 upon which it was designed.
Juglans Regia ? Now I have to study botany in my old age to keep up and understand AH threads! 8th grade biology was hard enough. There are only a hand full of AH members that can write a post such as this.....and Red Leg is certainly one of them!!!

Oh god, no need to get all wound up ladies! If Mr Newton wishes to prove the rising bite is made in house that's great, but his usage of the word 'English' made leads me to think it's not,,,a piece of knitwear made in Taiwan is commonly called Scottish made simply because it's been at a finisher in Scotland..wherever they're made and by whom, I don't really mind, I have great respect for rigby and their products, my only gripe is when lines a blatantly blurred or wool over eyes is pulled..but again, this is
Aimed at an industry level, not at Rigby, as i'm not having a dig at them,

Irrespective, must try on with things, this is too consuming to go on with.

Fiocchi, you've fallen prey to a common affliction, the attachment of ego (self worth) to the correctness of one's position.

I want to go to London @spike.t! Tell Marc I think Rigby's are absolute rubbish and made by Chinese workers in Guatemala!

(Is that enough to get me rookhawk's invitation for a free trip yet???):LOL:

Oh god, no need to get all wound up ladies! If Mr Newton wishes to prove the rising bite is made in house that's great, but his usage of the word 'English' made leads me to think it's not,,,a piece of knitwear made in Taiwan is commonly called Scottish made simply because it's been at a finisher in Scotland..wherever they're made and by whom, I don't really mind, I have great respect for rigby and their products, my only gripe is when lines a blatantly blurred or wool over eyes is pulled..but again, this is
Aimed at an industry level, not at Rigby, as i'm not having a dig at them,

Irrespective, must try on with things, this is too consuming to go on with.
He actually used the term "British" - but whatever. And keep working on those idioms.

But to quote one of the truly great lines in Western filmography - Curly Bill (Powers Boothe - God rest his soul)) looks up and Wyatt Earp (Kurt Russell) as Wyatt leads his family out of town and offers ....
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...4687C9306868C8E876BE4687C9306868C8E&FORM=VIRE

Marc has also extended an open invitation to any AH member that if they are in london to pay a visit to the Rigby showroom and workshops.

Man is my wife ever going to be annoyed when I tell her "You're right honey, we don't need to go to Africa again. How about London? You've always wanted to go there."

Fiocchi, you've fallen prey to a common affliction, the attachment of ego (self worth) to the correctness of one's position.

Well said and spot on.

He actually used the term "British" - but whatever. And keep working on those idioms.

But to quote one of the truly great lines in Western filmography - Curly Bill (Powers Boothe - God rest his soul)) looks up and Wyatt Earp (Kurt Russell) as Wyatt leads his family out of town and offers ....
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...4687C9306868C8E876BE4687C9306868C8E&FORM=VIRE

@PHOENIX PHIL is going to be very proud of you Redleg for the proper and appropriate use of a movie clip!

Ok...Rigby was on my bucket list.

Now that I know they use Stanley vices to hold their work...well, fugettaboutit!

Time to go learn how to use the "ignore" feature?

.. Also my stock maker who starts from a block of walnut and cuts everything by hand.

Plenty can attest to that mans skill, including me. An absolute craftsman.

Man is my wife ever going to be annoyed when I tell her "You're right honey, we don't need to go to Africa again. How about London? You've always wanted to go there."

Well said and spot on.

@PHOENIX PHIL is going to be very proud of you Redleg for the proper and appropriate use of a movie clip!

Agreed, solid movie clip effort and proper......I would however add the sage advice of Sgt. Hulka, I'm sure the General would appreciate:

Gee wiz. If Rigby isn't British and Mauser isn't German then I'm going back to bed.

Really though I commented on this thread because the OP posted pictures of a new rifle that I have been drooling over and I wanted to congratulate him. Now I'm stuck reading inane posts from some dude who's screen name was inspired by a loaf of bread! Dayum

I want to go to London @spike.t! Tell Marc I think Rigby's are absolute rubbish and made by Chinese workers in Guatemala!

(Is that enough to get me rookhawk's invitation for a free trip yet???):LOL:

:D...nice try but dont think so....;)

Phoenix Phil...........you sir are "The Big Toe"

Marc has also extended an open invitation to any AH member that if they are in london to pay a visit to the Rigby showroom and workshops.

Sadly...........some won't get through the front door..............:E Happy:

upload_2017-7-15_9-36-41.png

Well, its all German to me: L&O Holding= SIG Sauer+JP Sauer+ Blaser+ Mauser+Rigby+More. Economies of Scale and Globalization the are the way of life. The General's gun is a beautiful gun no matter where all the part are from, it's still an English gun.

I can tell you right now that if I had my way with the company, all the MO series would be scrapped, rifles would be built to oberndorf qualities and properly designed for real hunters use, prices would be cut dramatically as. Just don't see the m98 at that price point ever giving the company the critical mass to reestablish a foothold in the market along, but given the parent company, there's a conflict of interest there of course.

I would ensure the DG series were built and designed fit for purpose, not full of useless features and design flaws for such rifles...but, sadly, those who actually have a clue about real rifle design and how that links to best practice in the real world,,,are seldom given the chance to spearhead any such businesses or marketing initiatives..much like rifle scopes these days, marketeers sitting in a silo thinking up new ways to make money rather than thinking about what real hunters need and want.

There's a reason those who really know what's good for them use rifles based on the m98 design, no bs iron sights and proper front sight, sturdy mounts (if any), low power fixed or variable (ugh!) no frills quality scopes, good extractors, perfect feeding at any speed, no risk of dumping ammo out of the mag box, good simple bedding, dense walnut with wrap checkering, and a stock actually fitting in grip angle, width, thumb fluting, lop, and comb height to what sighting mechanism is used...it's really not rocket science, yet, not one company can seem to produce anything fitting these simple criteria without wanting a price equivalent to a sports car...the mind boggles

I don't really know how to respond to posts like this. I am away, and looking through the whole thread is a bit difficult, so I apologize if I repeat what others may have already said.

@fiocchi, you seem to know exactly what "real hunters" both need and want. You want a DG rifle "not full of useless features and design flaws" . . . But those "who have a clue about real rifle design" don't make the rifles. And my personal favourite: "those who really know what's good for them. ". Apparently, according to you, those who "really know what's best for them" want low power fixed scopes, and a bunch of other things including "thumb fluting" on the stock.

Where do I even start?

Firstly, I like to think I'm a hunter. I have been lucky in life and can get to Africa pretty regularly. In fact, as I write this, I'm in the Karoo waiting for the rain (!) to stop, so I have some time. I've hunted in lots of places, for lots of game, big, small and everything in between, using lots of different bullets and rifles, some mine and some from others, and with lots of people who make a living hunting. But what follows are my own opinions.

First, you need to get into the current century. A variable scope is "ugh"? Come on. I won't even call that being a purist - I call it being a Luddite. You want a rifle that is fit for purpose, but you propose to use a scope that fits only a narrow range of purposes. No one who uses a variable scope should feel the slightest bit insecure about using the best tool for the job.

Second, you imply - and I apologize if I have this wrong - that the Rigby DG rifle is full of useless features and design flaws. I have a Rigby Big Game in .416. It was not perfect out of the box, but very few guns are. But it is an exceptional rifle. It works as it should, and is exceptionally well balanced - a joy to shoot, even for a large caliber. It also looks exceptional (which I like, but then what do I know?). Anything you might describe as "superfluous" is likely something I wanted and asked for, which means, by any reasonable definition, it isn't superfluous.

Third, you seem to know exactly how a gun manufacturer should operate and what it should offer. But I note that you think "prices should be cut dramatically." There is a market price for beautiful stock blanks, and given how rare the best are, they will never be cheap. A good barrel takes time and expensive machinery to make, and many are rejected. I could go on, but perhaps you get the point. You talk about grip angle, width, lop, etc., but all of these, if you're serious, have to be custom designed, since they will vary for each person. How much do you think a stock maker should charge for his/her services, even apart from the cost of a precious blank? This level of custom work, let alone the best, will never be cheap.

Fourth, you know what "real hunters need and want," but to be candid, you clearly don't know what I need and want, and I consider myself a real hunter. Thumb fluting? Are you kidding? This is hunting we're talking about, not target practice at the range. I don't even want to hint about what the recoil on some of my guns would do to my poor thumb if I were foolish enough to stick it in a hole on a stock.

Lastly, if you know exactly what everyone needs, and what those who are in the business are doing wrong, I wonder why you aren't in the gun making business. I would think you'd think you would make a killing (pun intended) building exactly what real hunters need at a low cost.

So design that perfect rifle, price it out, build it and put it up for sale.

Alternatively, you could be a little less categorical about knowing more than everyone else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois