NAMIBIA: The Return to... Ozondjahe Hunting Safaris Namibia

Wayne

Thank you for the report and great pictures.

Leopards were in your area, just not what you were looking for.

It appears that you had a great time.

SO when do you go back?

Glad you enjoyed the report.

The Leopard I wanted was right there, repeatedly. He was just smart enough that he knew what I knew and was not making himself visible.

James, I could not believe the number of Leopards on this property. The terrain and cover is a Leopard haven. This is all proven out in the Leopard research I have read on this general area in Namibia. Amazing actually.

Going back.... hmmm.

There is always next time. Cats, you for to love them! Thanks for the report.

Ready to ship and I am about to get the email about the AWB#. :

SAM_8910_zpsbb788012.jpg
SAM_8915_zps0b813f34.jpg
SAM_8911_zpsbab937f1.jpg
SAM_8913_zpsf7a41947.jpg

I was hoping that the Leopard skin might have jumped into the crate. But, it looks like the spots are too big. Must be the Giraffe.
SAM_8914_zpsed809165.jpg

Last edited:
Brick,
You and me both now need to return for Mr. Spots. My plan is 2015. How bout you?? 2012 was close but no cigar.

Dangerous game is now calling. Zimbabwe for Buffalo then SA for Lioness in August. 2014.

Africa just keeps pulling at me.

"A dream can be relived, again and again in Africa."

This thread is definitely a good read to make one dreaming about Africa. Thanks for sharing.

Brickburn,

I'm very interested in knowing the overall cost incurred for your dip/pack/crate and shipping over the pond.

Additionally, which companies did you go through? And, what are the details on the giraffe?

I'm planning my first trip for 2015. I will be heading to Namibia and hoping to budget for the entire cost of the hunt before I head over. Also, I'm interested in a giraffe flatskin for the house, so I'd be interested in the logistics associated with that animal specifically. I have heard once thinned, salted, and dried the skin weighs around 100lbs for transit.

Thanks!!

Brickburn,

I'm very interested in knowing the overall cost incurred for your dip/pack/crate and shipping over the pond.

Additionally, which companies did you go through? And, what are the details on the giraffe?

I'm planning my first trip for 2015. I will be heading to Namibia and hoping to budget for the entire cost of the hunt before I head over. Also, I'm interested in a giraffe flatskin for the house, so I'd be interested in the logistics associated with that animal specifically. I have heard once thinned, salted, and dried the skin weighs around 100lbs for transit.

Thanks!!

The Giraffe was skinned quickly and immediately sent to the taxidermist to be processed and then tanned. I would not ship a salted Giraffe skin back to North America. I would not want to see the cost.

I am only having horns and skulls sent back, including the Giraffe Skull.
No capes. I dropped all the capes with the changes with CFIA. Otherwise I would have brought three capes back to be mounted here.

I used Reiser Taxidermy at the suggestion of Ozondjahe. I trusted them because of this recommendation.

I was in a bizarre situation with my trip as it lasted much longer than the typical plains game safari (7 weeks). I was not sure which trophies I would be shipping home as I might get better or other trophies that I wanted shipped during subsequent hunting.
I assume I was responsible for contacting the taxidermy with instructions. I was waiting until I was done hunting, but Reiser in an attempt to get the work done quickly started processing the trophies that arrived right away.
I also received an invoice while I was still in Africa.
We cleared that up quickly enough.

The application of policy for imports into Canada changed while I was away.
This threw a wrench into the process.
Reiser got onto a solution and we had to wait for the appropriate liner to arrive.

Reiser arranged a shipping forwarder.
Here is the link.

~ Welcome to African Shipping Services ~

They are in the midst of shipping the trophies.
Thus far, Rainer has been communicative and reasonable with providing information.
We will see shortly how the shipping process goes.
He provided a reasonable estimate of the shipping and export costs.

I believe the shipping for this crate was around $1100 to $1300 USD.
The dimensions of the crate will roughly be: 110x81x80cm
This will vary depending on volume/weight and destination.

As far as money is concerned $2600.00 to $2800 for all prep skulls, horns, tusks, Giraffe full skin tanning and packing/crating.

Here is a link for the taxidermy side. This is a link I found to a price list in Euro.

Raw Price List

Other than some sporadic communication issues everything has worked out.

I'll let you know what I receive when the trophies get here.

I think that should about get you set.

The AWB is on my screen. So it has to be true now.

Tried to track the number on the web and see where it's at.

Not in the system..

Apparently the crate is waiting in a warehouse in Joburg for the right plane. Which means; waiting for the first available space the size of my crate.

I did not pay courier rates, just plane old freight.

Just wanted to track it.

More waiting.

In preparing for the landing of my first shipment POST CFIA INSANITY, I started calling about prices.
You know, those prices for the duplication of disinfection services I have already paid for once. :redhot:

So far, the cost is coming in at about 50% of the cost of shipping the trophies to Canada.

Everyone is charging
$200 to pick the crate up.
$50.00 for Disposal of deadly disease ridden paper crate.
$75 per head to disinfect again. (Immerse in Hydrogen Peroxide solution for 4 days)

These are 6 euro mounts, 4 loose horns and 6 loose Warthog Tusks, no tanning. Disinfection!

$735.00

That does not include the costs of possibly being required to use a broker.

This is now really motivating me to start to flatten my forehead against a brick wall and start my own personal crusade with the CFIA. :banghead:

The true rant will be over in the import thread......

http://www.africahunting.com/latest-hunting-news/11409-trophy-import-issues-into-canada-3.html

Brickburn can you say CLICK THE CAMERA, next trip. I gotta give you grief...lol.

I love hunting, but all this regulation stuff zaps the fun out of it. And I'm serious when I say that. You keep paying for things you don't need done in a practical world.

Brickburn can you say CLICK THE CAMERA, next trip. I gotta give you grief...lol.

I love hunting, but all this regulation stuff zaps the fun out of it. And I'm serious when I say that. You keep paying for things you don't need done in a practical world.

I am starting to think more like a South African all the time in relation to trophies. High quality pictures. The end.

This trip was supposed to be the shift to Euro Mounts.
I did it.
But, this policy shift still got me by surprise in the middle of the trip.

Anything else will be getting completed in Africa at a quality taxidermist and I will avoid this crap totally.
NOTHING is coming back here again in a treated form.
Canadian taxidermists just lost out big time.

Found the secondary AWB and tracked my shipment.
It has been delivered into someone hands in Johannesburg on April 4.

Waiting for the big jet now.

I'm late to this party but I do have to say: WELL DONE! :dancing:

I'm late to this party but I do have to say: WELL DONE! :dancing:

It was a great hunt all the way round. Glad you think so to.

Found the secondary AWB and tracked my shipment.
It has been delivered into someone hands in Johannesburg on April 4.

Waiting for the big jet now.

After being the nervous sort that I am abounding shipping issues. I tried repeatedly to track the second AWB. Never any success, the Cargolux guy could not find it either.
I assumed the shipment had not entered the system. WRONG.

I emailed the shipping company yesterday and said WHAT'S UP?????????

I got a reply this morning. It is already delivered and arrived April 17. REALLY?!

No phone call from the warehouse in 6 days. What?

I have been provided the WRONG AWB # on my paperwork.
Hard to track a shipment when you don't have the information.

Really hard to give advance notice to the taxidermist to pick it up. I sense storage fees in the offing.

I ask the shipping Co what is going on.
They just got the new AWB yesterday. After delivery and after I have made the demand to track it.

Go down to the office and check messages this morning and a message was left at the end of the day yesterday.

THe message is that "CFIA has cleared the trophies and they are ready for Customs Clearance".
"Who is clearing your trophies?" The instructions are no the weigh bill. No one reads. Oh well.
At least they called.

I called them and told them I am coming over to address the clearance.

CFIA cleared it?!!! I will wait until they are in my hot little hands before I celebrate.

Apparently the air carrier did not even tell the shipping agent the truth. The shipment did not arrive on the 17th.
That is when it was scheduled to arrive.
What's a few days here or there.

CFIA jumped to the job at hand and did inspect the crate.

Here is the proof.
IMG_2253.jpg

Wonder why you can't track a shipment?

Not the entire AWB, just the last numbers that were changed on the crate and some parts of the paperwork.
Nothing I was provided until arrival. :wacko:

Who changed this I'll never know.

IMG_2252.jpg

Spring gift opening.
IMG_2255.jpg

Crate Condom - It protects you the trophies while you are being screwed by the government.
Just like the picture from the taxidermist.

IMG_2256.jpg

My new Windchime. First to be hung up..
[Not really] Just a really cool way to ensure that the horns are mated properly. Each pair had a string like a kids mittens. Awesome idea.

IMG_2258.jpg

One trophy took a bit of a beating. The Steenbok Euro mounts front end palette broke off inside the packaging.
Unbelievably fine bones. Who knows why it broke. Crazy Glue will get it back together.

Each skull was wrapped in a plastic mesh wrap to hold it together. (except the Steenbok)
They were then wrapped in paper shreds and then plastic wrapped and taped.

All the trophies had the identification tag number taped on each individual item.

Warthog tusks had a scribe of the number on the bases. No confusion possible.
The smaller tusks (lowers) were all plugged with silicone. Absolutely stopped them from breaking or flaking off.

The crate was well packed. There was no damage to the outside.
Shredded paper on the bottom of the box a few inches thick.
Then the clear plastic Crate condom was placed inside.
The Giraffe rug wrapped in bubble wrap.
The rest of the trophies packed in on top.
The Crate Condom is zipped closed and then more shredded paper on top.

You could have shipped raw trophies straight from the field and they would have been fine. Stinky, but no leakage was possible.

In midstream Reiser Taxidermy did the research and determined what would work. They did the packing and it worked.
It passed CFIA.

Worst thing I can say is that communication could have been a little better or timely.
Problems were solved and concerns were responded to and I got my trophies.

I do not know who did the skull cleaning. This supposed "D&P" Euro mounts are ready to go on the wall with a little rinsing.
I know that the guys at Ozondjahe are awesome and I'll bet these trophies showed up at Reiser cleaned and ready to be dipped and shipped.

Now, where to place the trophies?

[I have no idea, beyond the fact that these trophies are nearly sterile as delivered, why I was allowed to pick them up myself under the new regime. I will not look a gift horse in the mouth.] :ssst:

Last edited:
Hurry up! I want to see that giraffe rug displayed!

Certainly want to see the photos after they are displayed.

Is that still snow outside in your "wind chime" photo?

All the best.

Certainly want to see the photos after they are displayed.

Is that still snow outside in your "wind chime" photo?

All the best.

Shush, it had turned to rain by that time. Frost on the roof this morning though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffreyOKe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg