Namibia questions

For those who have hunted Namibia I have a few questions?
1) what outfitter did you use?
2) what area did you hunt?
3) what did you like most about their operation?
4) what did you like least?
5) would you use them again?
6) what was the area hunted like?
7) would you change the way you did anything in your planning?
8)would you go back, or have you gone back?
Hello Ravensview,

Great questions.
Thanks for asking them.

When you have time, have a look at my post:

NAMIBIA: KHOMAS HIGHLAND HUNTING SAFARIS Sept / Oct 2021

Hopefully said post will answer most of not all of your questions.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

PS:
I apologize about not having posted all of my photos yet but most of them are there.
Computers dislike me personally and I have a horrible time getting pictures to post properly.
For me, it’s just one glitch after another.

Hi again Osama,

I hope you are well and still planning to visit Namibia.

You and I had multiple conversations on this topic during December 7th, 8th and 9th - 2021.

You are very welcome to cut and paste (or whatever it’s called) our above mentioned conversations into the open forum, if you are interested in doing so.
No pressure, it’s just a thought.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.
Dear Paul,
Sure I remember our friendly conversation.
I am indeed in the planning stages for either Eatern Cape (40%) or Namibia (60%).
Here's part of our conversation.
20220218_115443.jpg

Screenshot_20220218-115406.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What would the 5th Namibia category be?
If I was going to add a 5th category it would be parks concessions, but I though your 4 were adequate. I highly disagreed with your resort description though, never seen a tennis court or petting zoo at a hunting lodge.

For those who have hunted Namibia I have a few questions?
My hunting partner @BJONES and I just returned from Namibia in October.
1)We hunted with @Kowas Adventure Safaris
2)We were in the Dordabis Conservancy Area (East and South of Windhoek)
3)Mine and @BJONES hunt reports are both posted here to read. There is nothing I didn't like about operation
5)I will definitely hunt with them again. I plan to introduce my kids to Africa with Kowas.
6)We hunted 400,000+ acres of low fenced or no fenced property. Huge ranches with tons of game.
7)Already working on a plan to get back.

Link to my recent hunt report

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris.

His camp was about an hour and half from Windhoek.

I greatly enjoyed just how open and wild the area was. I also enjoyed the company of all the staff.

There was nothing I can think of I didn’t like other than the fact I had to leave and gained about 10 pounds due to the fact that all the food was amazing.

I would hunt with them again and hope to do so.

The area reminded me of Texas as far as landscape and terrain for the most part. The area was full of game. Everywhere you looked there was animals.

I would not have changed anything.

I would go back and would recommend them with no hesitation.

What strikes me about this thread is the number of solid outfits in Namibia and the great hunts we’ve all had. After 3 seasons of good rains, the limited to no hunting due to the COVID disaster, plus Namibia’s great value, I think it may be the best bet for safari this season. Good luck!

Question for everyone who hunter with Pieter Delport, how did you find him initially? Was he a former site sponsor? or displays at a certain show? I’m surprised by how many have hunted with him when I don’t think he’s well known?
I heard about him through a friend who had hunted with the man. Bill Capwell who was on this site a while back.

I think Pieter Delport has mostly European clients , and he has done the sportsman type shows in Hungary, possibly other places in Europe too.

While I was at a dinner with his relatives one of the guests commented that I speak the best English of any Hungarian they had ever heard, I had to laugh and tell them I was Canadian, and didn't speak any other language so I hoped my English was adequate.

One cool thing with the people there is how many languages they do speak. It is a lot different than here in Canada where everything is in English, and some French.

I think all the PH's in Namibia know each other quite well, and I think most of them get along quite well.

It was truly the friendliest country I have ever been to.

As others have said here, not sure what you are after your first time there, but give Peter Hinterholzer, at Erongo Lodge a look. He is up in the middle of the Erongo crater. Great country for game and scenery both. It is also still wild country where you could actually bump into a free roaming black rhino. I like Peter's operation as it is not a high pressure outfit at all. Just tell him what you are looking for and how you like to hunt. Also, it is priced fair, which seems to matter more every day lately. I have hunted other areas of Namibia, but the Erongo mountains and Peter's place draw me back, so I have returned there a couple of times and hope to again some day soon.
Hope you have a great trip to Namibia!

I think Pieter Delport has mostly European clients , and he has done the sportsman type shows in Hungary, possibly other places in Europe too.

While I was at a dinner with his relatives one of the guests commented that I speak the best English of any Hungarian they had ever heard, I had to laugh and tell them I was Canadian, and didn't speak any other language so I hoped my English was adequate.

One cool thing with the people there is how many languages they do speak. It is a lot different than here in Canada where everything is in English, and some French.

I think all the PH's in Namibia know each other quite well, and I think most of them get along quite well.

It was truly the friendliest country I have ever been to.
The cool thing in terms of languages is that Pieter speaks five!

What would the 5th Namibia category be?
* Beer: Namibia crafts good beer, Windhoek line up incorporates some old trade true German brewery techniques. :D Drunk:

Ok so Namibia is AWESOME!!!!
@KHOMAS HIGHLAND HUNTING SAFARIS
Khomas Highlands
Excellent service, outstanding lodging and meals, beer was amazing, best Bush TV ever, and amazing game 100% free range and tons of animals.
I loved everything
Foothills, mountains, savanna
I would have saved more money to take even more animals than I did. Also I’d have stayed at least 4 more days to see some other things I wanted to see and to spend a whole day in Windhoek instead of just a few hours. I didn’t get to go to the famous beer gardens there but will next time. I would add some fishing in and also go see the Namib. We did go to the Kalahari and see elephant and rhino which was awesome! Also got to see a Kori Bustard. The problem is Namibia has so much to offer there is no way to see and do all of it in 1 trip. I will most definitely go back.
I will absolutely go back. Namibia opened up a whole new range of the Ole “bucket list” items.
I can’t say enough awesome stuff about Namibia and Philip’s operation. The country is beautiful, the people are super friendly, and Philip has a 1rst class operation all around!

Glad to hear this. Heading there in May!

Question for everyone who hunter with Pieter Delport, how did you find him initially? Was he a former site sponsor? or displays at a certain show? I’m surprised by how many have hunted with him when I don’t think he’s well known?
How did I get in touch with Pieter? Word of mouth after a lot of research and asking around.

For me, being a bow hunter, I needed a PH that he, himself, was a bow hunter and money is always an issue. I'm not rich, I just work a lot of overtime to pay for my trips.
I don't need, nor require, a five star lodge and accommodations. I go to Africa to hunt, plain and simple.
This is what I tell the PH. I need a bed at night, a hot shower in the morning, three meals a day and they do not have to be fancy. I have one rule for a meal, there has to be a dead animal on the plate. I don't drink, I don't smoke, so don't waste money stocking the bar. I can drink water all day and snack on biltong in the blind. I expect the blinds to be set up correctly for bow hunting and I'm willing to sit from sun up to sun down. I don't expect a guaranteed hunt, just a good chance at seeing the animals on my list and his assurances that he has enough of those animals on his place to hunt.
It's frustrating when a PH promises you a chance at an animal you want to take and he assures you he has those on his property, then you find out when you are over there that you are hunting on 60,000 acres and he actually only has ten of the animal you're after. Did he lie? No, he has 'em, but what are the chances that you will see one?
I put the word out that I wanted a Hartmann Zebra with my bow. I called, emailed, and spoke to people at the DSC. Many, if not all, of the PH's I spoke with told me they had Hartmann's but getting one with a bow would be a tough deal to pull off. A couple of them were honest enough to tell me that while they did have Hartmann's on their property, the chances of me getting one were slim to none. I appreciated their honesty and kept on looking. In fact, at least one of those PH's has been mentioned in this thread. Good PH's, and honest, but I wanted a Hartmann's so I kept on looking. When I came across Pieter, I called him up on WHATS APP. I gave him my list of animals and stressed to him that I wanted a Hartmann's and if that was the only animal that I shot, the trip would have been worth it. He told me straight up, we are in a drought and I don't have them on my place, but I will take you to a place that has them. I remember him telling me that it may take us three days of hunting but I would get a shot at one.
The first morning we drove five hours north, hunted that afternoon, and I almost got a shot at one that day but I spooked him when I drew my bow. The next day, right at last light, I got my shot and had my Hartmann's on the ground. He asked if I wanted another one as he had two tags. That was a no brainer so we went out the next afternoon and I shot my second Hartmann's.
Due to the drought we did not hunt his property, so after the first property, he took me to two other properties, each in totally different areas, that looked nothing alike. We saw more animals per day than I could count.
I could go on and on.
Bottom line, with Pieter, he will take you where the animals are that you are after and he won't charge you an arm and a leg.
Plan your trip on what you can afford. If money is no concern, then any PH mentioned will be a good choice.
Like I said, I go to hunt. I want to get my arrows dirty, and that means putting together a hunt that allows me to hunt for ten to twelve days and take as many animals as my wallet will allow.
And yes, Pieter goes to the shows in Europe for a couple of reasons. The waiting list for DSC is five years, at minimum, as are the other shows around the USA. He can go to Hungary or Spain and book his entire season and he's not out as much money for PR and event fees, which in turn saves you money.
I told a PH at the DSC this year that when I'm walking around the show and I'm walking past the booths for the places that I want to hunt, if I see a booth that takes up 2, 3, or 4 squares, and they have these really thick, high quality books and brochures, and they have about 5 or 6 people dressed to the nines, I don't even stop. I know I can't afford them. They are offering a package I can't afford because most of my money would be paying for all of that PR.
There is nothing wrong with that, it's just not me.
When I see the single guy, wearing worn blue jeans, his worn button up shirt, wearing his ball cap, a printed out page for his information, a small roll up banner on the booth wall, sitting in fold up lawn chairs he bought at Wal-Mart, and he may have a small TV showing a video of his hunts, that's the guy for me.
No offense to the big booth guys. I know you will have a great experience with them. I just know that my taste is more unsweet tea and hamburgers than champagne and caviar.

Perfect example, if you had asked about Zambia, then this is who'd I'd be talking about. Strange Middleton, one of the best PH's in Zambia and a world class bowhunter as well. Strange is the real deal, just like Pieter.
Strang at the DSC this year. A single roll up banner on the back wall, three fold up chairs from Wal-Mart, a fold up coffee table with a wrinkled up sheet on top, and he has information on a color, tri-fold brochure. And he's wearing the clothes he'll be wearing when he picks you up at the airport.
All of that can go in the back of his rented SUV while he's stateside making the shows. Your money with him, like with Pieter, will go further on your hunt and won't be spent on his marketing campaign.
Strang.JPG

How did I get in touch with Pieter? Word of mouth after a lot of research and asking around.

For me, being a bow hunter, I needed a PH that he, himself, was a bow hunter and money is always an issue. I'm not rich, I just work a lot of overtime to pay for my trips.
I don't need, nor require, a five star lodge and accommodations. I go to Africa to hunt, plain and simple.
This is what I tell the PH. I need a bed at night, a hot shower in the morning, three meals a day and they do not have to be fancy. I have one rule for a meal, there has to be a dead animal on the plate. I don't drink, I don't smoke, so don't waste money stocking the bar. I can drink water all day and snack on biltong in the blind. I expect the blinds to be set up correctly for bow hunting and I'm willing to sit from sun up to sun down. I don't expect a guaranteed hunt, just a good chance at seeing the animals on my list and his assurances that he has enough of those animals on his place to hunt.
It's frustrating when a PH promises you a chance at an animal you want to take and he assures you he has those on his property, then you find out when you are over there that you are hunting on 60,000 acres and he actually only has ten of the animal you're after. Did he lie? No, he has 'em, but what are the chances that you will see one?
I put the word out that I wanted a Hartmann Zebra with my bow. I called, emailed, and spoke to people at the DSC. Many, if not all, of the PH's I spoke with told me they had Hartmann's but getting one with a bow would be a tough deal to pull off. A couple of them were honest enough to tell me that while they did have Hartmann's on their property, the chances of me getting one were slim to none. I appreciated their honesty and kept on looking. In fact, at least one of those PH's has been mentioned in this thread. Good PH's, and honest, but I wanted a Hartmann's so I kept on looking. When I came across Pieter, I called him up on WHATS APP. I gave him my list of animals and stressed to him that I wanted a Hartmann's and if that was the only animal that I shot, the trip would have been worth it. He told me straight up, we are in a drought and I don't have them on my place, but I will take you to a place that has them. I remember him telling me that it may take us three days of hunting but I would get a shot at one.
The first morning we drove five hours north, hunted that afternoon, and I almost got a shot at one that day but I spooked him when I drew my bow. The next day, right at last light, I got my shot and had my Hartmann's on the ground. He asked if I wanted another one as he had two tags. That was a no brainer so we went out the next afternoon and I shot my second Hartmann's.
Due to the drought we did not hunt his property, so after the first property, he took me to two other properties, each in totally different areas, that looked nothing alike. We saw more animals per day than I could count.
I could go on and on.
Bottom line, with Pieter, he will take you where the animals are that you are after and he won't charge you an arm and a leg.
Plan your trip on what you can afford. If money is no concern, then any PH mentioned will be a good choice.
Like I said, I go to hunt. I want to get my arrows dirty, and that means putting together a hunt that allows me to hunt for ten to twelve days and take as many animals as my wallet will allow.
And yes, Pieter goes to the shows in Europe for a couple of reasons. The waiting list for DSC is five years, at minimum, as are the other shows around the USA. He can go to Hungary or Spain and book his entire season and he's not out as much money for PR and event fees, which in turn saves you money.
I told a PH at the DSC this year that when I'm walking around the show and I'm walking past the booths for the places that I want to hunt, if I see a booth that takes up 2, 3, or 4 squares, and they have these really thick, high quality books and brochures, and they have about 5 or 6 people dressed to the nines, I don't even stop. I know I can't afford them. They are offering a package I can't afford because most of my money would be paying for all of that PR.
There is nothing wrong with that, it's just not me.
When I see the single guy, wearing worn blue jeans, his worn button up shirt, wearing his ball cap, a printed out page for his information, a small roll up banner on the booth wall, sitting in fold up lawn chairs he bought at Wal-Mart, and he may have a small TV showing a video of his hunts, that's the guy for me.
No offense to the big booth guys. I know you will have a great experience with them. I just know that my taste is more unsweet tea and hamburgers than champagne and caviar.

Perfect example, if you had asked about Zambia, then this is who'd I'd be talking about. Strange Middleton, one of the best PH's in Zambia and a world class bowhunter as well. Strange is the real deal, just like Pieter.
Strang at the DSC this year. A single roll up banner on the back wall, three fold up chairs from Wal-Mart, a fold up coffee table with a wrinkled up sheet on top, and he has information on a color, tri-fold brochure. And he's wearing the clothes he'll be wearing when he picks you up at the airport.
All of that can go in the back of his rented SUV while he's stateside making the shows. Your money with him, like with Pieter, will go further on your hunt and won't be spent on his marketing campaign.
View attachment 453723
Well @Dee S

With reading your post we sound so much alike and strive for the same things on Safari. Only difference is I do not safari with my bow, use gun. Do use bow at home here for some hunts. My biggest wish is that safari outfits also just tell the truth and follow what they promise/say and put in contract.

I will return to Namibia, was an amazing hunt, people and place. I really liked your post.

MB

Well @Dee S

With reading your post we sound so much alike and strive for the same things on Safari. Only difference is I do not safari with my bow, use gun. Do use bow at home here for some hunts. My biggest wish is that safari outfits also just tell the truth and follow what they promise/say and put in contract.

I will return to Namibia, was an amazing hunt, people and place. I really liked your post.

MB
I have plenty of firearms and I enjoy shooting them, but my preferred method of hunting now with a bow. I've shot so many deer in south Texas for cull purposes with the MLD tags that it's just killing now, there is no sport in it for me. I'm a member of a local rifle range and spend a lot of time out there shooting and I really enjoy reloading, but when it comes to hunting, I'll grab the bow every time.
Plus, I have no desire to go through the hassle of flying with firearms. If I were to use a rifle in Africa, it would be on one of those "cull hunts" where you have to shoot a truck load of animals in 7 - 10 days and the only way to do that would be with a firearm, even then, I'd ask if I could use their firearm and I'll pay for ammunition.

I love Namibia. I've tell my friends all the time, I'd move over there if I could. Since I'm not Namibian or Chinese, that won't happen. But in all honesty, Botswana was just as nice and very unique in it's own way. I hope to return there one day also. I've been a tourist in South Africa and we drove all the way from from Kruger to Cape Town, so I have seen a lot of it, but of the three, it is the one I feel most vulnerable in while out in public shopping, eating or stopping for fuel.

I've hunted in Namibia twice, the first hunt did not go as we had hoped and that is all I will say about it. The second hunt, I asked more 'bow' specific questions about blinds, how are they setup, how many do you have, what types of water sources are available to the animals, what are the typical shot distances to expect, etc. Pieter, being a bow hunter, as are his two sons, had the correct answers and my hunt was everything I had hoped it would be and more. Just a great time.
I have told several PH's this as well. "I'm glad you have a website, and it has a lot of pictures of the bedrooms, the bathrooms, the swimming pool, the gourmet meals, etc., but where are the pictures of the bow blinds?" They proclaim to cater to bow hunters but 80% of the pictures in their galleries are of rifle hunters. As they say, "Show me the money"
Some places specialize in rifle, some with bow, some do both. Pieter does both. He doesn't matter whether you carry a rifle or bow, he will just make sure to accommodate your hunting needs and put you on the game.

I love Namibia. I've tell my friends all the time, I'd move over there if I could. Since I'm not Namibian or Chinese, that won't happen. But in all honesty, Botswana was just as nice and very unique in it's own way.
@Dee S … I enjoyed your posts on “Namibia Questions” & for many reasons - I equally love to plan, visit & hunt Namibia w/ five (5) trips & w/ the same Operator x 4 & Taxidermist x 3.

Through your priorities - you’ve highlighted key talking points that keep the prospect of Hunting Africa ( … in most Countries) ‘Real & Grounded & especially important for the 1st Timer or value minded Hunter - targeting Bowhunting but equally applicable to Rifle Hunter & anyone looking @ Namibia.

@Ravensview: what draws me to Namibia?

* Cities are not densely populated making pre/post hunt activities easy to navigate.
* Hunting is not over commercialized
* TOPO is raw & devise
* Remains affordable -overall, both Daily & Trophy Fee rates
* In the last 3-years they’ve done wonders w/ WiFi access
* Safe self-drive destination w/ common sense. I’ve driven to the Coast @ Swakop, toured around Etosha, & navigated the Caprivi to the far tip @ Katimo Mulilo to fish Zambezi.

Like @Dee S … I found an Namibian Operator that I connect with far beyond the mere 7 - 10 stay @ the property & that makes return trips most enjoyable & far beyond the hunt! I’ve organized & played ring-leader to four (4) trips & 12/hunters w/ eleven/11 being 1st Time Hunters to Africa. I do that because I know their 1st experience will be:

a) Affordable: overall importance to that on a 1st (or 10th) trip. Very competitive Daily Rates & ‘hard to match or beat’ trophy fee on: Eland, Oryx, Hartebeest, Greater Kudu, & both Zebra especially Hartmann.
b) Comfortable: authentic Lodge + Bush Camp & fancy where needed.
c) Raw: allot of game but the property is large, Topo diverse/demanding & you must work for it - if you like to spot/stalk (shoutout!) you can walk or climb until your ass cheeks fall off!

Allot of those talking points hold true for a fair % of the Namibian operations however, when you travel North or enter into the Caprivi Region that draws a whole different $$$ price point.

Happy Trails

@Dee S … I enjoyed your posts on “Namibia Questions” & for many reasons - I equally love to plan, visit & hunt Namibia w/ five (5) trips & w/ the same Operator x 4 & Taxidermist x 3.

Through your priorities - you’ve highlighted key talking points that keep the prospect of Hunting Africa ( … in most Countries) ‘Real & Grounded & especially important for the 1st Timer or value minded Hunter - targeting Bowhunting but equally applicable to Rifle Hunter & anyone looking @ Namibia.

@Ravensview: what draws me to Namibia?

* Cities are not densely populated making pre/post hunt activities easy to navigate.
* Hunting is not over commercialized
* TOPO is raw & devise
* Remains affordable -overall, both Daily & Trophy Fee rates
* In the last 3-years they’ve done wonders w/ WiFi access
* Safe self-drive destination w/ common sense. I’ve driven to the Coast @ Swakop, toured around Etosha, & navigated the Caprivi to the far tip @ Katimo Mulilo to fish Zambezi.

Like @Dee S … I found an Namibian Operator that I connect with far beyond the mere 7 - 10 stay @ the property & that makes return trips most enjoyable & far beyond the hunt! I’ve organized & played ring-leader to four (4) trips & 12/hunters w/ eleven/11 being 1st Time Hunters to Africa. I do that because I know their 1st experience will be:

a) Affordable: overall importance to that on a 1st (or 10th) trip. Very competitive Daily Rates & ‘hard to match or beat’ trophy fee on: Eland, Oryx, Hartebeest, Greater Kudu, & both Zebra especially Hartmann.
b) Comfortable: authentic Lodge + Bush Camp & fancy where needed.
c) Raw: allot of game but the property is large, Topo diverse/demanding & you must work for it - if you like to spot/stalk (shoutout!) you can walk or climb until your ass cheeks fall off!

Allot of those talking points hold true for a fair % of the Namibian operations however, when you travel North or enter into the Caprivi Region that draws a whole different $$$ price point.

Happy Trails
Thanks, and yes, you add more points that should be considered on planning your trips over.
Since the rains have returned to Namibia the past three years, when I head back over to hunt with Pieter, I will no doubt be hunting his properties, which I have not even see yet, so it will be a totally new experience for me, like hunting with another outfitter but with the same guide.
And very true about heading north into the Caprivi, you are then dealing with the tribal leaders and their concession prices/fees/demands/etc. Any trip into the Caprivi, no matter the PH, would be worth the trip but the price of the trip often times is no longer dictated by the PH, but by the people in charge up there. Pieter hunts up there and sends me some great pictures of the animals taken.

We have hunted twice with Roy and Janet Van der Merwe of Otjandaue Hunting Safaris
We hunted once with Janneman and Aldalene Brand of Kalahari Safari
Otjandaue: 2.5 hours NW of Windhoek near Omaruru
Kalahari Safari: 2 hours SE of Windhoek near Gobabis
Both are great outfits and they both have beautiful animals. Aldalene serves some of the best food we have ever eaten.
no complaints
We will definitely use them again.
North Texas or South Texas terrain.
Bring less clothes.
Yes and yes

Safe travels

I hunted with Jamy Traut safari’s, PH Louw Lotter in 2018 for an 18 day trip and in 2021 for a 24 day trip. We hunted Kaokoland, waterburg, panorama and caprivi. Really amazing experiences on both trips, I plan to go back this summer. They do an excellent job with family safaris and were great with my son (age 12) and then my son and daughter (15, 17). It is really special to bring a kid and see hunting and nature through their eyes, but not have to be the guide/ph/coach/parent.

it is tough to really fit all the things you want to do in a single trip. I’ve been back and am going back because there are more adventures that I need to experience.

PM me and I’d be happy to add more.
Hello, would you be available for a call any time during the week and we could talk a bit more about your experience with Jamy Traut. Thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg