NAMIBIA: My Hunt With Frontier Safaris (Barry Burchell Property)

Day 5, this was the day I'll never forget. At breakfast, the camp manager tells us there is a problem, Barry burchell never got our hunting licenses. And we were told the group in the south camp,( the hunters there) were put in jail. Because they didn't have licenses either. So the staff took our trophies we had already, from the salt, and hid them in the bush. We were then told we were there on photo safari. They were worried the Namibian police were coming to our camp. So, that day, which was suppose to be hunting, we drove around the property, as tourists! No guns, no hunting. Lost a day pf hunting.
As you can imagine, we were all worried,( locked up abroad the tv show)

Completely unacceptable! I would have been requesting a ride to the airport....

Reading this makes me exceedingly thankful for the great experiences that I have had in my safari experiences! I am sorry that you guys endured these issues!!

Day 5, this was the day I'll never forget. At breakfast, the camp manager tells us there is a problem, Barry burchell never got our hunting licenses. And we were told the group in the south camp,( the hunters there) were put in jail. Because they didn't have licenses either. So the staff took our trophies we had already, from the salt, and hid them in the bush. .................

Nothing like being a hostage to incompetence. After days of hunting they magically become aware that there are no hunting licenses!? :rolleyes:

If Velo had not shared a post with a similar odorous hint about this guy I would have some serious doubt that this debacle was not a fiction.
In this case, life can and obviously was beyond what I could imagine.

These guys would be done and dusted.

In South Africa you can purchase a book of licenses (50 plus) form your local nature conservation office and write them yourself during the season for your clients as needed on the first day of the hunt. I guess it's different in Namibia however.

Permits are a different matter and for certain species they need to be obtained before the hunt commences.

...........I guess it's different in Namibia however. .........

It is. Apply and acquire before the hunt, last time I looked.

Victor, can you imagine having a client arriving and not have a license in place?

A google search shows Frontier Safaris Namibia to be pretty much bottom of the barrel in many areas........and not averse to being sued repeatedly.

It is. Apply and acquire before the hunt, last time I looked.

Victor, can you imagine having a client arriving and not have a license in place?

No I can't. It's shocking

Interesting, I've never really thought about this before although I have seen the suggestions that when planning your safari always make sure you ask to see the licenses before you start your hunt. I guess this will be something I will need to do going forward.

Hi cls,

Asking to see the licenses / permits might help smoke out a criminal organization or individual crooked PH.
However, if using that idea and the PH could not produce my license, I'm not entirely sure how I could fix my problem in time for my hunt to begin.
And if they did not bother to have my license (presumably so they could just pocket my license fee) I'm not positive how to ensure not being cheated in some other way, except to cancel my safari and proceed frantically scrambling through the whole process for another outfit to hunt with..
(That is presuming, no PH will have your license in hand until they have actually received your deposit ?)

At any rate, my best luck has been in doing an extremely thorough background investigation, on whichever outfit I'm narrowing my final decision toward.
If no skeletons emerge from the internet searches then, I begin the same thorough internet snooping on my potential PH by name.
If still nothing scary turns up, via the all seeing eye of my computer, at last I begin many and thorough conversations with persons who have hunted with whomever I have focused upon, both by safari company name, past and present, as well as specific PH.
Usually one or more friends go along and I always encourage them to do the same, in case I my digging misses some ugly detail.

My very first introduction to hunting in Africa, in April of either 2012 or 2013, (can't remember any more but one or the other year) was with this same family owned Safari Company in Namibia.
At that time their outfit was known simply as "Burchell Safaris".
Although by then I was quite familiar to international fishing and spear fishing trips, I was totally new to the African thing.
None of my close friends had been to Africa either.
I was however acquainted with one or two puffed-up, self loving blow-hards that had been there but, I did not trust their opinion on anything, much less how to go about booking an Africa trip.
So, I booked through Cabela's (huge mistake) and like the beginner that I was, I chose the cheapest offering in their lineup of several safari companies.
One of my hunting pals from here in Anchorage, threw in with me.
When I complained to Cabela's, in writing, email and left more than one polite phone message - no response to any of these efforts.
Each and every one was opened with words to the affect:
" I am not asking for a refund or any compensation in any way whatsoever, but I am sending this information to you so that you will be aware of Burchell Safaris disappointing activities."
Cabela's never did respond to any of the above, in any way.

We're still telling the story this many long years later, around camp fires, at cocktail parties and for myself, in the lunch room at work.

Beware of pick pockets and fast women,
Velo Dog.

Hey @Velo Dog, I always do the due diligence thing (kind of ocd that way), but I was thinking that it may save a night or two in the crowbar hotel if you asked to see the licenses prior to hunting.

Hey @Velo Dog, I always do the due diligence thing (kind of ocd that way), but I was thinking that it may save a night or two in the crowbar hotel if you asked to see the licenses prior to hunting.

Totally agree with you that, when asking questions ... more is definitely better than less.

Reactions: cls
Nothing like being a hostage to incompetence. After days of hunting they magically become aware that there are no hunting licenses!? :rolleyes:

If Velo had not shared a post with a similar odorous hint about this guy I would have some serious doubt that this debacle was not a fiction.
In this case, life can and obviously was beyond what I could imagine.

These guys would be done and dusted.
Brickburn, as I was reading this, I was starting to have the same thoughts as you. First, this hunt was 4 years ago? Why the hunt report now? If I got that wrong, apologies, but I think that what was said.

Secondly, what kind outfit is this? I have never heard of a place where PHs are drunk, where there aren't enough PH's, where hunters are left all day with no guides, or PH or means of communication, where the boss drinks the client's whiskey, where permits aren't obtained at all, where a PH can't tell the difference between males and females - for gemsbok, warthog and blue wildebeest? I could tell males from females with those three! I've heard complaints about lots of places, but nothing like this. Why isn't the OP completely outraged at this?

However, @Velo Dog has credibility, so I guess I'm wrong . . . in which case, a place like this should be shut down. I don't know if they're still in business, but if the trophies are home, perhaps a letter to the authorities in Namibia would help future hunters?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi cls,

Asking to see the licenses / permits might help smoke out a criminal organization or individual crooked PH.
However, if using that idea and the PH could not produce my license, I'm not entirely sure how I could fix my problem in time for my hunt to begin.
And if they did not bother to have my license (presumably so they could just pocket my license fee) I'm not positive how to ensure not being cheated in some other way, except to cancel my safari and proceed frantically scrambling through the whole process for another outfit to hunt with..
(That is presuming, no PH will have your license in hand until they have actually received your deposit ?)

At any rate, my best luck has been in doing an extremely thorough background investigation, on whichever outfit I'm narrowing my final decision toward.
If no skeletons emerge from the internet searches then, I begin the same thorough internet snooping on my potential PH by name.
If still nothing scary turns up, via the all seeing eye of my computer, at last I begin many and thorough conversations with persons who have hunted with whomever I have focused upon, both by safari company name, past and present, as well as specific PH.
Usually one or more friends go along and I always encourage them to do the same, in case I my digging misses some ugly detail.

My very first introduction to hunting in Africa, in April of either 2012 or 2013, (can't remember any more but one or the other year) was with this same family owned Safari Company in Namibia.
At that time their outfit was known simply as "Burchell Safaris".
Although by then I was quite familiar to international fishing and spear fishing trips, I was totally new to the African thing.
None of my close friends had been to Africa either.
I was however acquainted with one or two puffed-up, self loving blow-hards that had been there but, I did not trust their opinion on anything, much less how to go about booking an Africa trip.
So, I booked through Cabela's (huge mistake) and like the beginner that I was, I chose the cheapest offering in their lineup of several safari companies.
One of my hunting pals from here in Anchorage, threw in with me.
When I complained to Cabela's, in writing, email and left more than one polite phone message - no response to any of these efforts.
Each and every one was opened with words to the affect:
" I am not asking for a refund or any compensation in any way whatsoever, but I am sending this information to you so that you will be aware of Burchell Safaris disappointing activities."
Cabela's never did respond to any of the above, in any way.

We're still telling the story this many long years later, around camp fires, at cocktail parties and for myself, in the lunch room at work.

Beware of pick pockets and fast women,
Velo Dog.

TYPO:
I actually hunted with "Burchell Safaris" in either 2002 or 2003 (not "2012 or 2013" as incorrectly shown in my above post).

Brickburn, as I was reading this, I was starting to have the same thoughts as you. First, this hunt was 4 years ago? Why the hunt report now? If I got that wrong, apologies, but I think that what was said.

Secondly, what kind outfit is this? I have never heard of a place where PHs are drunk, where there aren't enough PH's, where hunters are left all day with no guides, or PH or means of communication, where the boss drinks the client's whiskey, where permits aren't obtained at all, where a PH can't tell the difference between makes and females - for gemsbok, warthog and blue wildebeest? I could tell males from females with those three! I've heard complaints about lots of places, but nothing like this. Why isn't the OP completely outraged at this?

However, @Velo Dog has credibility, so I guess I'm wrong . . . in which case, a place like this should be shut down. I don't know if they're still in business, but if the trophies are home, perhaps a letter to the authorities in Nambia would help future hunters?

My experience with "Burchell Safaris" (and Cabela's, via Cabela's Booking Agent back then, name of Russell Selle) was in either 2002 or 2003, not "2012 or 2013" ... the typo was my error.

And Russell Selle worked for Jeff Blair (Blair World) at one point. Just shows you a Leopard doesn't lose it' spots or a skunk it's stripes!

My experience with "Burchell Safaris" (and Cabela's, via Cabela's Booking Agent back then, name of Russell Selle) was in either 2002 or 2003, not "2012 or 2013" ... the typo was my error.

I know. Whatever... That being the case, there must be one long line of clients with similar concerns.

Hi fellas and gals,
I see your concerns, it's been 4 years, I didn't do a report because when I joined, almost 2 years ago, I didn't want to bad mouth anyone. I was not looking to report bad reports. I wanted to learn about Africa. Now seemed like the time to tell my story.
I am telling the truth, God's honest truth.

Keep it rolling.

Not telling the story is exactly how these guys get to continue this type of behaviour.

AH members we should be happy he is telling us the truth. If you do internet searches for that safari company it will now potentially route future people to AH, where they can read the forum and learn about the company.

This is sad that people run companies like this anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross