Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Local Wildlife Federation
Hunted
Canada, Namibia
Well, here goes. Just a quick report on my first hunt in Africa.

I decided that I was not getting enough hunting opportunity "at home" in Saskatchewan due to not getting drawn for any species this year. It's that circumstance that inspired me to finally consider an African hunt, something that I used to read and dream about as a young teenager.

After quite a bit of consideration I decided that a Cape Buffalo hunt in Zimbabwe in 2019 would be "the ticket".
As I gathered information on potential outfitters thoughts of hunting just one animal and hunting it almost a year from now had me questioning my decision.
Well, long story short, I decided that if I liked Africa (and short of getting a fatal disease I was sure that I would) I would want to return. Hunting Cape Buffalo before hunting plains game seemed a bit like putting the cart before the horse so the plan was changed.
A plains game hunt sooner (if possible) rather than later looked very good.
As I looked, Namibia emerged as appearing exceptionally good for a free range plains game hunt.
I chose Kowas Safaris because it is a family owned and operated outfitter that looked like they provided personalized service. Kowas has far more than plenty of huntable land and the trophy potential looked exceptional.
After an introduction via email, Kowas informed me that they could still take me on a hunt in October of this year.
There are just far, far too many details about each of the hunts that I was on to wright about them here.
Suffices to say that Kowas didn't disappoint.
I'll let the pictures do most of the talking.

IMG_0348mm.jpg

IMG_0208mm.jpg

IMG_0423mm.jpg

IMG_0170mm.jpg

IMG_0197mm.jpg

IMG_0240mm.jpg

IMG_0441mm.jpg

logo_kowas_214x252px-1.png

My heartfelt thanks to Danie, Ansie, Jacques, Elleni, Begs, Christian, Julia, Matheus and the other Kowas staff for their exceptional efforts as they made this trip very special in every way. I do hope to return sometime in the future.

JP

Last edited by a moderator:

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Congrats and thanks for sharing!! Some nice trophies there!

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY, Canada (Yukon)
Great first African hunt and trophies. (must have been difficult shooting with that blindfold on :whistle: ).

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
No priority points required, just show up.

Congrats on your success and Buffalo hunt preparation.

gillettehunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(4) New Zealand Zambia(2)
Nice trophies. Would encourage you to take a little time to write up the stories on your animals. Several good reasons. You can direct friends to read about your hunt. Good advertising for Kowas as well. Lets us know how they handle a hunt such as yours. Helps you remember details in the future that may fade away with time..... Congrats
Bruce

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
A fine first Africa trip for sure! Oh I am so envious of that jackal! My nemesis!
Congratulations and best of luck on your buffalo hunt and your new Africa addiction!

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
Congrats, nice trophies !

cagkt3

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, SCI - West Texas Chapter, HSC, NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, OK, TX, UT, KS
Congrats!

cls

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, AHEIA
Hunted
Canada(AB, BC, SASK, NWT)), USA (WY, MN, TX), South Africa (Limpopo and Eastern Cape), Zambia
Congrats, nice critters. When you headed back...

kevin masters

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
us mexico alaska south africa
A jackal at about a hundred yards was my only miss in africa! it was off handed and the jackal was moving,no exuses.lol
glad you had a great trip like the others I would encourage a detailed report! keeps the rest of us sane!

Steve M

Reaction score
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Namibia, RSA, Argentina, Mexico, USA
I'm so glad to hear that my friends at Kowas took wonderful care of you and left you with great memories of your first African hunting experience. I also had my first African safari with Kowas. Among other great trophies, the zebra in my profile picture was taken on that first Kowas safari. I've been lucky enough to go back to Kowas a second time and will soon be planning my third hunt with the Strauss family at Kowas. I can't say enough good things about their very friendly and professionally run family operation. They provide a really great African hunting experience. What they say is true, "Arrive as a guest and leave as a friend." Glad you loved it. Steve M

Jfet

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Outdoor Tomorrow Foundation,NRA, Life Member DSC
Hunted
Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Namibia, South Africa, and Now Spain
Welcome to the Kowas Family!!! Did you get treated to Rugby tackling drills? Your story brings a smile to the end of the work day. (y)(y)(y)

Steve M

Reaction score
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Namibia, RSA, Argentina, Mexico, USA
Thankfully no rugby-tackling drills for me. My body and temperament are better suited to sitting by the fire, eating fresh game meat, drinking red wine and recounting wild adventures and tall tales in equal measure!!

Iwannahunt

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Canada, Namibia
Thankfully no rugby-tackling drills for me. My body and temperament are better suited to sitting by the fire, eating fresh game meat, drinking red wine and recounting wild adventures and tall tales in equal measure!!
Service was/is definately fantastic. I also especially enjoyed Danie's sence of humour during the evening banter. No rugby drills, just disappointment after a SA Springboks loss.

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
Hopefully when my kids become less expensive then they are now.??

I hate to mention this, but my kids had kids that cost me as well as now their kids cost me...yep that’s 2 great grandkids! I don’t think I’ll make it to the next ones:sick:.

Ragman

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Canada(Sask./B.C.), Namibia, RSA(Eastern Cape) USA(Texas)
Congrats on your hunt from a fellow Sask boy! Namibia was where I had my first safari. Love your Kudu!

Iwannahunt

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Canada, Namibia
Congrats on your hunt from a fellow Sask boy! Namibia was where I had my first safari. Love your Kudu!
Thanks, I saw that nice picture of your Warthog and little buddy.

Iwannahunt

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Canada, Namibia
I hate to mention this, but my kids had kids that cost me as well as now their kids cost me...yep that’s 2 great grandkids! I don’t think I’ll make it to the next ones:sick:.
I was under the impression that they would start paying my expenses once they got their careers going.:A Bang Head:

johnnyblues

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
LOVE Namibia. Congrats on some fine trophies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigBuff7459

Latest profile posts

DGGardner wrote on Rare Breed's profile.
I'm sure I am a day late and a dollar short but if the deal on the .416 falls through let me know and I will buy it.
Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...