AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
UK, South Africa, Namibia, Sweden
Well I having been home a few days now I thought I might make a start on this report. This will have been my second trip to Namibia both times with Philip Hennings at Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris, This time I was accompanied by my 16 year old son and 14 year old daughter. My son has accompanied me to South Africa, but this was my daughters first trip.
So the trip consisted of depart uk on 7th of February arrive Namibia midday 8th and departing on the 15 February evening. We would first travel to okambara for two days, then to Farm Heusis then onto swakopund for the final two days, well that was the plan. We did not have any real plan on which animals to hunt so we would take what came.
IMG_2108.JPG

The family

Day one arrival Thursday 8th:
As you would expect Philip was waiting at the airport for us. I made the introductions we grab the luggage and head for the truck In the car park we meet Hendrick our tracker for the next few days and chukka the dog both of who I already knew from my previous trip. The kids looked excited tired and a bit apprehensive all at the same time. We load up and head to Okambara Philips hunting area in the Kalahari region. we drive about an hour and as we turn off the main tarmac road onto the gravel one we pull into a small shop where Philip gets me a cold beer the kids some coke and biltong to eat. I think that was the point the trip officially started. It did not seem to take to long and we were arriving at okambara and being shown our room in the main building. we decided to freshen up get our gear sorted and meet for tea and cake later after which we would go and check Philips rifles.
IMG_1925.JPG

So after a nice cup of tea and a big slice of cake we load up and head to test the rifles, also Philip could gauge the ability of the two kids, they both sat up top with hendrick, while I sat with Philip on the drive to the range so I could give him my views on their shooting skills and ability's. We arrive at the range area put out the target and choose Philips Sauer 202 in 300wm to use. Louis goes first with from the back of the truck with Philip sat next to him instructing him on the use of the rifle. we repeat this process with my daughter with both firing two groups of three shots Philip was happy with this and then suggested trying off sticks as well
IMG_1917.JPG

Three shots each and Philip was happy, as was I that they had gained Philips approval bearing in mind that my daughter has limited experience with a rifle but a healthy rivalry with her brother if he can do it she will do it usually slightly better. so we load up again and head out into the property to see what we can find. On our way along ne of the tracks we came across a dead kudu on closer inspection it was still very fresh so Philip decided we should head back to the lodge to tell the staff before we continued on.
IMG_0465.JPG

young kudu bull found dead.

Good start the the hunt ant the report! Keep it coming sir!

So after finding someone to tell about the dead kudu we head back out into the bush after 5 minutes we find a herd of impala we slow to a stop and look them over. it is a heard of rams they are mainly young and immature apart from three or four with two that really stand out from the rest even to my untrained eye. One ram was very thick but shorter in the horn than the other, which had a long horns with good shape but without the thickness of the first. Philip asks" what do you think " I replied "yes nice impala" I lean out of the window and ask louis what he thinks of the impala he says nice as well. I look back to Philip and asked what do you think to which his reply was "If you don't shoot one I am going to " I took the hint. we both get quietly out of the truck Philip gets the sticks and I move to the rear of the truck. louis asks" are you going after impala" I say " no you are " his eyes light up and he is off the truck and following philp, I get into the rear of the truck with hendrick and bronwyn and sit down with a grand stand seat to watch the unfolding action.

Good start, look forward to more! Lots of good reports for Philip out there

Great story so far. Any idea what killed the kudu?

so from my position I watch the impala the larger rams seem to take more interest in what's happening as Philip setts the sticks and louis gets in position. the rams begin to mill around never providing a clear shot either obscured by each other or bushes. Each time they circled around amongst themselves they increased the distance between them and the guys on the sticks. This was all carried out in a relaxed manor with the larger rams stopping to look back at us trying to figure out what the score was before milling through the group again. When they looked like the opportunity was lost, I looked back to where Philip and louis were only to be surprised. They had disappeared ! I begin to search for them in the scrub when I found the pair of them they had made it to a small scrub lined ditch with the wind in their favour they were trying to work down the right flank of the impala I looked back to the heard trying to see where the rams were and what may provide the shot I saw the ram with the short thick horns slowly break from the main group and slide off into the scrub alone, crafty old bugger I thought to myself. As my attention returned to the main heard they had suddenly became alert they had spotted the hunters there was a short stand off then the impala made a break for it. we watched as the whole group turned tail and ran across the road ahead of us. Philip and louis brake from the cover and head for the road me and Hendrick step off the back of the truck and get in the cab to drive down to meet them. Hendrick starts the engine and I just look through the binoculars to see Philip set the sticks and the rifle go up I quickly tell Hendrick to stop and turn off the engine they are back on the hunt. We watch as Philip and louis move again across the road ahead of us and out of sight. We wait for what seemed an age then a single shot rang out a moment later Philip appeared and waved us down to him we took chakka the dog and began to follow up Philip said the shot was good and it dropped on the spot we spread out and walked through the knee high scrub trying our best to avoid the thorns.
As I see the impala lead on the floor I realise it was the crafty old bugger who had slipped out the side earlier had been caught out re-joining the group.
P1030319.JPG
P1030320.JPG

We loaded up and headed back to the lodge we picked up one of their guys at the workers village who skinned and prepared the carcase as we headed back to our rooms the sky had darkened and the sound of distant thunder could be heard a flash of lightening rain was on its way.
IMG_0468.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Day two: Okambara

We started late today met for breakfast at 8 o'clock after which we would commence hunting for an Eland bull for me. Also at breakfast Philip was informed of the list of animals that my daughter wished to see giraffe, elephant rhino and so on . We loaded up and set off to poachers lookout to scan across the flat expanses of the hunting area as we approached an eland was spotted on the ridge of the hill in front of us. I totally missed this bull as Philip stopped with a bush obscuring my view so I took his word for it, the bull went over the ridge and we decided to drive around the opposite side and catch him on the opposite side. Well we never saw that bull again, at poachers point we sat and glassed the surrounding areas I did manage to locate three eland but on closer inspection they were all female with no male present. while we sat searching for eland my daughter points and asks what are they on the rocks below us not more than 20 meters away was a family of klipspringers a female with a youngster and a nice looking ram they looked as surprised as we did . After a few moments they took off along the rocks. The ram was lucky I did not have a permit for him this time . with no success in locating an eland bull we sett of in the truck to see what we could find.
IMG_2022.JPG

The ph and his apprentice
P1030346.JPG

We spent the remainder of the morning searching for eland without success but we did manage to find giraffe and elephant for my daughter even after Philips effort to get close to the giraffe for photos did scare the entire heard of eight away much to my daughters displeasure. But he did redeem himself as we found an even bigger heard of 20 to 30 animals not far away.
IMG_4597.JPG

Funny moment of the morning when we drove down into the flat pan we noticed that they must of had a lot of rain the previous night by the large puddles that had formed on the track some of which were quite deep and full of a chocolate coloured mix of sand and silt. Philip made a good job of carefully navigating these to avoid soaking for those riding in the rear. That was until we reached a stretch of this chocolate mix about 30 meters long where Philip and I look at each other and wind up our windows, Philip as we would say floors it into this mix. From the noise created at the rear of the truck I assumed the effect was something similar to that of a log flume ride. Anyway made me and Philip laugh.

We spent the remainder of the morning searching for eland without success but we did manage to find giraffe and elephant for my daughter even after Philips effort to get close to the giraffe for photos did scare the entire heard of eight away much to my daughters displeasure. But he did redeem himself as we found an even bigger heard of 20 to 30 animals not far away.View attachment 219152

Funny moment of the morning when we drove down into the flat pan we noticed that they must of had a lot of rain the previous night by the large puddles that had formed on the track some of which were quite deep and full of a chocolate coloured mix of sand and silt. Philip made a good job of carefully navigating these to avoid soaking for those riding in the rear. That was until we reached a stretch of this chocolate mix about 30 meters long where Philip and I look at each other and wind up our windows, Philip as we would say floors it into this mix. From the noise created at the rear of the truck I assumed the effect was something similar to that of a log flume ride. Anyway made me and Philip laugh.

That was great fun :)!!!

Great start and a very nice Impala. Congrats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg