NAMIBIA: A Fantastic Leopard & Plains Game Hunt With Ozondjahe Hunting Safaris

Very nice cat, congrats !

Congratulations on an awesome hunt. A leopard is a bucket list animal for me.

Excellent report Mike; I was surprised to see Godfrey holding up your kitty
He and I became friends in 2014 while kitty hunting also. Great guy and I’m not surprised he’s doing well. Thanks for great memories. Oh yeah I got a huge cat also, just took 11 days and nights
My PH Phillip Fourie had only been hired a few months prior to my arrival. Godfrey seemed to quickly become Phillip's right hand man, familiarizing him with the property, and I'm sure on suggested bait sites. It was great that Godfrey was invited to the bar every evening after the hunt. I understand he is following in his father's footsteps as a tracker/driver. He even made me a walking stick from a raisin bush, and on the last night, I had him sign it and list the animals we took, in Afrikaans, down the length of the stick. Got it home using it through all the airports and security! It's mounted on the wall now! Mike

All magnificent trophies and it looks like spot on shooting as well. Congratulations sir on long awaited dreams come true!
I feel that one of the greatest satisfactions of my safari was that my shooting practice at home paid off; all 6 of my animals were one-shot kills. With a rented .300 Win Mag. and .222.

Timeline report on getting my leopard home to Iowa--after applying in May of '22, prior to my July hunt, I received the CITES permit in late December. There was quite a bit of after-the-hunt submission of documents in early December at the request of USFWS, including a copy of my Namibian hunting permit, and a schedule G form, which is the Namibian record sheet of my cat, with all measurements and precise GPS location. Namibian CITIES permit followed. Dip and pack done at King's Taxidermy, Otjiwarongo, picked up by African Shipping Services of Windhoek for shipment to USA. Thanks to Rainer and Cathy for obtaining the required veterinary certification, and all documents needed, and arranging the flight to Chicago. My crate flew Ethiopian Airlines for arrival in Chicago on 3/13/23. It was received by my agent Edward J. Zarach & Assoc. at Chicago's O'Hare. After Tom Kelly's departure, John Schwartzbauer came on, and with Vicki and Sharon, cleared my crate with Homeland Security and USFWS. The crate is at my taxidermist in Ankeny Iowa now, and I'm visiting next week with taxidermy instructions and field photos. An SCI measurer will join me to record everything. I should be able to take my leopard skull home, my guy said he'd do more clean up if needed and have it ready. Capes and back skins go to the tannery next week also. The fun of an African safari goes on and on! Mike Wachtel, Lacona, IA

I'm just back from 2 weeks in Namibia at @Ozondjahe Hunting Safaris. My first time in Africa at age 67. Crazy me, I booked a 12 day leopard hunt. What are the odds? But assured I would pick up plains game, off we went after a year of planning and over 50 years of dreaming. Lots of stories behind every memory, but here's my "bag"--Morning of day 3, scored on a 7'-6", 119 lb. Tom! Then a good Impala, chosen from 100's on the 120 square mile property. Then a great stalk on a lone Zebra, interrupted by a nasty-tempered Honey Badger, but ultimately successful, shot from the sticks. A Damara Dik-dik from the higher ground was next. Used a .222 on him, the .300 Win. Mag. would have made "mince" of him. If I were so inclined to enter, he would go way over the minimum RW, a giant with 3-1/4" horns! Will look nice mounted with the leopard. After much enjoyable blind sitting (my wife recorded 52 species of birds, with the help of our PH, Phillip Fourie), a herd of Eland filtered in. PH whispered that he'd tell me when the bull arrived. He didn't have to! The majestic bull towered over his harem of 25+ cows and calves. I made a good shot, and he was down at 50 yards. Then, after seeing many cows, calves, and young bulls (they all looked great to me!) Gemsbok, we finally found an old lone bull hanging well back from a waterhole. Waited for a broadside shot, and he ran 50 yards and dropped! 3 days left, and I decided to take it easy, do some Guinea and Francolin shooting, visit the taxidermist with my trophies, sight see; but always had the rifle available in case a big Kudu appeared. He didn't, a reason to go back. Thanks for pre-hunt tips from Charlie Austin and many hours talking with Greg Mensik to allow me to plan such a fantastic adventure for my wife and I. Mike Wachtel, Lacona, IA

View attachment 483558View attachment 483559View attachment 483560View attachment 483561View attachment 483562View attachment 483563View attachment 483564View attachment 483566View attachment 483567View attachment 483569View attachment 483570View attachment 483571View attachment 483573View attachment 483575
Congratulations on a fantastic safari!

16 months later, the capes finally were up in line for processing at the tannery in Michigan this week, (my Iowa taxidermist trusts them with all his tanning). Bad news on the eland; significant, disqualifying for me and my taxidermist, hair slippage on the face. So either go with a Euro mount, or find a cape. We're looking for a cape! He was to be a centerpiece of my plains game display, with impala and gemsbok.

16 months later, the capes finally were up in line for processing at the tannery in Michigan this week, (my Iowa taxidermist trusts them with all his tanning). Bad news on the eland; significant, disqualifying for me and my taxidermist, hair slippage on the face. So either go with a Euro mount, or find a cape. We're looking for a cape! He was to be a centerpiece of my plains game display, with impala and gemsbok.

Saving the ruff on the forehead always seems to be a challenge if that's where the slippage was. But at least you have the leopard to look forward to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniata1951

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross