Name for a new wildcat cartridge

We made 458 WSM with my friend. We get very good velocities with short barrel.
680- 700m/s with 42cm barrel and we use 400gr Swift- A-Frame. The gun weights under under 3kg without scope

When it comes to naming cartridges, I’m more of a traditionalist. Some of the new ones, like the 577 T-Rex and 600 Overkill are, to me, a bit ridiculous (that neither will ever see the light of day as a standard offering is, perhaps, a mild consolation).

My recommendation is to utilize the parent case in the naming scheme (unless it’s a belted magnum because H&H basic brass is the parent case for nearly everything). Then, tack your name on at the end (after all, she’s your baby).

Oldish thread I know. But just wanted to comment on this post above.

The .577 Tyrannosaur sounds cool to me - I’m a fossil nut though. However! As much as I like the .600 overkill as a cartridge I couldn’t own one just because of the stupid name. .600 Belted magnum or something I could go for.

I’m also not a fan of people making wildcats to tack their names on to for the sake of it. I’ve designed one, and it’s just named *caliber* and *case length*. Not giving away what it is, but as an example it’s similar in name to how the English did it - .577 3” etc.
To the point, makes sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg