Name for a new wildcat cartridge

KISS

In keeping with the 9.3MM bullet diameters heritage, may I suggest the 9,3 Kugelschlag. I think it has a nice ring to it.

Based on the performance I'd primp for the 9.3 Saymould. Good on paper, but say it out loud and the truth will out. "oh, you know, it's a wildcat, but as far as the Kudu is concerned it's just the Saymould 9.3..."

Maybe I'm a cynic.

9.3 Raptor, .366 Nutcracker, .366 BallBuster, .366 Crunchmaster, .366 StoneCrusher, 9.3 PLR (precision long range) or Player for short as in "it's a 9.3 Player" and last but not least, 9.3 CinderBlock. Why? Well, at 100 yards it can plow through ten cinder blocks. YMMV:p:D

nicholas,

ironically, i am also making a 9.3 wildcat. i am starting with a 9.3x74r case, kind of ackley improving it. slightly shorter neck, sharper shoulder moved forward with less body taper. i don't know what it will end up doing, am hoping for 200+ fps.

i am going to put it in a valmet 412/512. the rifle has adjustable regulation. so, my hope is that i will end up with a rifle that will give me 2500+ fps with 286 gr bullet. also, one that will regulated to a workable grouping.

mine will be a 9.3 x 74r improved. i looked for someone to have done this already (i wanted to rent their reamer) with no luck. soooo......i ordered one a couple weeks ago. then a set of custom dies, etc.

i did a simple calculation with the dimensions i had and it said there was a 14% increase in case capacity.

my thought is, there are lots of 9.3x74s out there, might be a couple guys that want more. my intention is to use an o/u rifle platform and one that is adjustable. might be a dud, but will not have destroyed a $10,000 rifle. my guess is it will work, but will see.

good luck on your project!

Yup, I've worn that one before, and the one where the "h" gets left off too. Don't care what people call me, especially if beers (or whisky) are on offer. (y)(y)(y)
It's a good idea, the 9.3Wrathful, yes? Given what a 9.3 based on the 338 Norma would produce, it's pretty apt. By my calculations, the Woodleigh 320 grainers would exit the muzzle around the 2900 mark, compared to 2700 for the 9.3X64 ....

The big thing to remember about Wildcat cartridges is by the time you think of it it's already been done, but don't ever let that stop you. I shoot about 8 wildcats at the moment, they are fun to play with. My next will be a 416 on a WSM case or a RUM case. I've already made up dummy cases for both of these rounds. Have fun playing around, and welcome to the wildcat club.
Wildcatting; a sickness, like wanting to hunt Africa ... again, and again, and ...

366 G-Spot......Quite a bang. And, if it doesn't excite you, you ain't doing it right?

When it comes to naming cartridges, I’m more of a traditionalist. Some of the new ones, like the 577 T-Rex and 600 Overkill are, to me, a bit ridiculous (that neither will ever see the light of day as a standard offering is, perhaps, a mild consolation).

My recommendation is to utilize the parent case in the naming scheme (unless it’s a belted magnum because H&H basic brass is the parent case for nearly everything). Then, tack your name on at the end (after all, she’s your baby).

If I were to design a wildcat, I'd call it the x.x Superfluous.

I've thought of a bunch of wildcats that would be fun to play with. I haven't yet thought of one I could truly make a rational argument for needing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg