Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Ducks Unlimited, North American Hunting Club, BASS, North American Fishing Club
Hunted
Canada and USA
Not that the world needs another one, but they sure are fun. For some reason, I like the 9.3mm or .366 caliber cartridges. They offer a better SD and BC than a comparable weight .375 caliber and just don't get the big news like the .375s do because it is just short of being considered enough energy for stopping a DG charge. Anyway, I would like a few opinions on a name for this cartridge, a few that I have come up with are .366 Bear, .366 Kudu, or .366 Eland (my last name and initials aren't cool enough for this, so they weren't even considered). This is going to take a little while because I am going to seek permission to use the parent case first so there aren't any copy right infringements and such (also, still paying off the caribou hunt). Besides, I'd like to be able to get a little recognition if it actually hits the big market. As we also know, moniker's sell, so a good one would be nice. Thank you.

give it something with a more African ring to it

(not that Im good at naming things, but heres a stab)

.366 tandala, .366 pofu, .366 bwana.

I don't know,
question
Hey What are you shooting
answer
I'm shooting a 366 Barcomb
or
I'm shooting a 366 Grizz
people are into Names
300 Weatherby
505 Gibbs
404 Jeffrey,, etc,etc,etc

I think any naming might be dependent on the parent cartridge, the velocity or energy produced if you are going for a power descriptive name.
Would you incorporate the parent cartridge in the name??
Would you look at power descriptive, cartridge descriptive, or species descriptive??
What would it produce that the 9.3x64 or he 9.3x66 may not already produce in power levels??

Look at the cartridges that have great recognition and they have something in common in that they are either calibre/name (404 Jeffery, 505 Gibbs etc) or calibre/case (7x57, 9.3x64 etc) calibre/parent case (22-250, 6.5-284) or calibre/ammunition company (243 Winchester, 280 Remington).
Fancy descriptive names that may denote a particular animal or use dont seem to have much of a place in the ammo stakes.
My own wildcats are a 6.5 Grendel-Max and a 400 Lee speed

JMHO though

Last edited:
I've wondered over the years what a 50 BMG necked down to a 223 would look like and how it would perform (don't try this at home, folks).
upload_2015-10-17_10-39-59.png

Then I wondered, what would be a good name for such a beast. I think 223 WAM would be perfect. So what does WAM stand for? I'm glad you asked:

WAM.........Whoop Ass Magnum. If you like this name, go ahead and use on on your 366 wildcat.

upload_2015-10-17_10-42-25.png

upload_2015-10-17_10-44-16.png

ill try,366 NDLOVU.

What does this wildcat have that the other 9.3 cartridges don't already have or what ballistics does it have over the others. Well: It is only going to be 2.860" OAL, so a relatively short action cartridge. Running different QuickLoad scenarios using VV N550/ VV N560 and Woodleigh 286 PPRNs and 320 PPRNs, velocity ranges are such:
9.3 x 74R, 286 PPRN = 2454 fps and 9.3 x 74R, 320 PPRN = 2315 fps;
9.3 x 66 Sako, 286 PPRN = 2554 fps and 9.3 x 66 Sako, 320 PPRN = 2383 fps;
9.3 x 62mm Mauser, 286 PPRN = 2497 fps and 9.3 x 62mm Mauser, 320 PPRN = 2361 fps.
My .366 Wildcat, 286 PPRN = 2607 fps, = 4316 ft/ lbs and 320 PPRN = 2440 fps, = 4231 ft/lbs.
Not a huge difference, but I think it's enough and in a modern action, should prove very nice. Especially since, back in the day, the 9.3 x 62mm Mauser had been used to cleanly take Cape Buffalo and a few other DGs in a pinch. It may end up being a dud and not even meet the ballistic models or it may be an absolute success and exceed ballistic models. Time will tell.

9.3 x 52 mm
.366 Short Bell
.366 Bell-Short
.366 WAM
9.3-.325
.366 WSM (if they want to make it a factory offering)

how about 366 Ouch:LOL:

If it's built on a WSM case it's already been named in Germany. And in North America it's called mine, LOL, I built one a year ago

If it's built on a WSM case it's already been named in Germany. And in North America it's called mine, LOL, I built one a year ago
Okay, so pass on the info.

In Europe it's called the 360 Kestrel, I built mine on a Sako 85 action with a Walter Lothar barrel. Getting 2700 plus fps with a 250 Accubond and Reloader 17. I haven't had any pressure signs so if I wanted I could go with a higher charge of powder.but I think that bullet and that speed will take any animal I hunt in North America

Thank you for the information. I am going to push forward with mine since I cannot drum up any load data and will call mine the .366 SAM (Short Action Magnum). There will be enough variance so there will be no patent infringements.

The big thing to remember about Wildcat cartridges is by the time you think of it it's already been done, but don't ever let that stop you. I shoot about 8 wildcats at the moment, they are fun to play with. My next will be a 416 on a WSM case or a RUM case. I've already made up dummy cases for both of these rounds. Have fun playing around, and welcome to the wildcat club.

Yes, the .360 Kestrel was done around 2007. Usually a wildcat is sprung as soon as a factory offering is made. I helped build the ballistic profile for the 6.5 (PCC) Patriot Combat Cartridge and have played with a few other AR wildcats. This will be the first one on a bolt platform. SO, no , I am no stranger to wildcats either. I find it kind of odd that the Germans would call it a .366 and not a .365 or .367, which would be closer to the actual caliber. .360 usually refers to a .358 caliber something or other. Just a thought.

I would be ok having the chance to say.......Oh, well......I am shooting a .366 Barcomb Mag in this hunt, because I consider it the right caliber this game......:D

How about the .366 PETA! Everyone would buy that!
Response to: what did you shoot it with?
I took it down with my PETA, how do you want your steak
Response to: how bad is the recoil?
Hell not bad at all, all the girls at the range can't get enough of my PETA.
This could be an epic cartridge, endless possibilities.
Neck it up to .458 and it could be the large PETA. Everyone at the range would have PETA envy!
Cheers,
Cody

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg