My Winchester .458 WM Finally Arrived

I had heard the Woodleighs were too soft now and broke apart, which is why I hadn't been considering them. I will try them though. I would like to stay in the 500 gr weight though for Buff and ele. I have thought about Barnes in 450 gr as everyone seems to give them great reports. I just don't like the fouling and again reduction in weight. This is where the Lott, IMO, has advantage. I'm going to try several things coming up here soon. I have also seen and heard good things about those GS Mono's as well.

Woodleigh bullets are soft but thats what makes them great for NE cartridges and the 458 WM. i wouldnt use Woodleigh bullets in a 458 Lott at 2300fps but for the 458 WM at 2100fps they should be perfect.

the 480gr .458" bullet has been killing everything in Africa since the invention of smokeless powder.

-matt

Good advice, thank you!

Thank you all! I do want to correct myself now that I am home and looking at it. The rifle was built in Portugal, not Belgium as I had said earlier... My mistake. It was built by Browning in Viana. I know the .458 Win Mag is a great old cartridge and know the story of how it gave birth to the Lott by a mishap Mr. Lott had with a Buff. When I read Safari Rifles and other internet articles it made me nervous at first, but I just loved the Winchester action. Then I finally found a many more articles about how Winchester and modern powders fixed the problem with the short case and so on. The only thing I don't really like is having to drop to 450 gr in a monumental bullet with this caliber. I really don't use them anyway, but still sits on my mind when I look at Barnes and GS products, but hell I like the old style solids just fine and there are plenty great bullets to choose from. I will work up my load to get the magical 2100 to 2150 fps and be content. Besides, my nephew is a monster of a young man and he will most likely go with a .460 Weatherby or .505 Gibbs since he has gotten into these Safari rifles with his uncle, and I will get to play some with his (probably not too much) when he gets it. I do welcome advise and loads though, so please keep them coming!

Shoot me an email, my address is in my signature. I have a PDF with load data to send you.

Phil

congrats on your new addition looks nice :D Beers:. mind you i was looking at the rifles in the background as i have been looking at the springfield website and like the look of the M1A socom 16.........just wondering if any of those might be one? i got a price from the dealer here and it was £2095 delivered here....a bit over $3200 for the black stock version, camo is more and a wait list. oh well a bit more expensive than over there.......
Spike, I just took delivery the other day of a new std M1A with green synthetic stock at a bargain price, best I could find. Has the best trigger I have seen one of these other than the match rifles and it shot quite well the other day at the range, keeping most of my shots in the 10 and X ring with a few flyers, this with 150gr FMJ Remington ball ammo. US dollar price...$1099!:rolleyes::eek::D:p

The .458WM does the job allright. Ask Richard Harlane of Zimbabwe who culled around 6000 elephant with it.

I shot 2 ele bulls with a Brno ZKK 602, Federal factory 500 grain woodys in Bots last june. That work out pretty well.

I should have brought my double but our police hazzled me for 7 months over the license so I had to go with the .458. Finally got my license though..

I am with Matt on the 480 woodys....to squeeze some extra fps out of it..

But to be the fly in the ointment, cost no object and blablabla, I am still a staunch believer in a DR in .577 NE for elephant hunting....good life insurance for the icky situations..

Penetration of the .458WM...?

Previous to the aforementioned hunt my hunting buddy and I made up a block of 2 by 8 pinewood, 90 centimeters thick. I shot at it at 20 m with federal 500 woodies.

The first shot blew clean through the planking, the bullet from the second shot stopped in the last plank. That bullet could have been reloaded.

Hows that for penetration..?

if i had a 458 WM id load it with 480gr Woodleigh softs and FMJ. these bullets are for the 450 NE and will perform perfectly at 458 WM velocities!

the Woodleigh bullets will out perform the DGX/DGS any day of the week on anything!

-matt

I am thinking about a Win M70 458wm and having it converted to a 458 Lott , I am still busy with the research .

Todays modern bullet tech pretty much blows all conventional wisdom out the door, and then some. I have been shooting 458s for a long time now. You will never in your life come up short on any mission you ever take your 458 Winchester on, as long as you choose the right bullets for it. Forget 500 grain bullets, they are not needed at all. In fact, any proper designed 450 will out perform ALL CONVENTIONAL 500s, period........ Fact is, the 420- CEB Raptor will outperform any conventional 500 trauma inflicting bullet in penetration and tissue damage, and its matching 450 Solid will out perform any conventional 500 solid for depth and straight line penetration........ There is absolutely zero reason to even consider any conventional 500s in 458 Winchester, and as far as that goes, the Lott included.

Todays bullet tech gives you some really incredible options, that was not available in past years. With these bullet choices from CEB and North Fork, the 458s are enhanced further than they have ever been before. Of course I am talking the ultimate performance, not cheap plinking.......... Fortunately in 458 you can have it all, and the 458 Winchester will never come short if you choose properly.......... Choose Poorly, and you will simply fail in your mission at some point...................

Michael

Fact is, the 420- CEB Raptor will outperform any conventional 500 trauma inflicting bullet in penetration and tissue damage, and its matching 450 Solid will out perform any conventional 500 solid for depth and straight line penetration........ There is absolutely zero reason to even consider any conventional 500s in 458 Winchester, and as far as that goes, the Lott included.

@PHOENIX PHIL has convinced me of this. Once I get around to reloading my Lott I'm going to give CEB a shot, at the above mentioned bullet weights.

I do agree with the bullet tech argument. That is fact proven time and time again. The reason I look at the traditional loads is more of a nostalgia thing. I have been considering, as I had stated, using newer bullet designs as I definitely don't want to wound and lose my first buff. I know I need range time with the rifle and loads I choose to ensure I do my part. The first shot is the most accurate, and needs to do serious damage for the safety of all in the party, as well as anyone who comes across the buff should the worst case scenario happens and he is lost. In any case, I love the caliber and know it is devastating on just about anything you hit with it. No doubts from me there! Keep the suggestions coming as I am a ballistic junky and just love planning for an upcoming hunt as far as ammunition goes. Thank you all for your recommendations!

@PHOENIX PHIL has convinced me of this. Once I get around to reloading my Lott I'm going to give CEB a shot, at the above mentioned bullet weights.

Well it was due to the results that @michael458 has seen in his own laboratory for shooting and not my own experience. And I say lab because that's what it really is, it's not just a shooting range he has at his home. I know of no one who has independently put in more effort researching big bore flight and terminal ballistics than Michael. And all of his lab data has been backed up on the ground hunting on numerous trips for DG in both Africa and with @PaulT in Australia.

I also say Michael has done this work independently as no one has paid him for his efforts. He is not a writer for any of the gun/hunting magazines nor does he have any business in that space. He has paid for all of this as it's his passion/obsession. Michael has been very kind to share his results with anyone who asks.

Panielsen..... I understand Nostalgia, and such as that very well. But in truth nostalgia needs to be kept to the range and paper targets. In the field there is much at stake and one needs to use the very best bullet available for the mission at hand. Regardless of what has worked a 100 years or not, it is simply foolish to not comprehend that today we have far better. There are a good many great bullets out there to choose from, there really are no "Bad Bullets", but as hunters we sometimes make bad choices in our bullets. When it comes down to it, its not the cartridge, not the case, not the rifle, "its the bullet that does all the heavy lifting"...... And unfortunately I find all to often, the most overlooked component of any hunt. The bullet choice can most certainly be the deciding factor alone of ones success, or failure. We all have made those mistakes in the past, I have. But not again.

Michael

Spike, I just took delivery the other day of a new std M1A with green synthetic stock at a bargain price, best I could find. Has the best trigger I have seen one of these other than the match rifles and it shot quite well the other day at the range, keeping most of my shots in the 10 and X ring with a few flyers, this with 150gr FMJ Remington ball ammo. US dollar price...$1099!:rolleyes::eek::D:p

Panielsen..... I understand Nostalgia, and such as that very well. But in truth nostalgia needs to be kept to the range and paper targets. In the field there is much at stake and one needs to use the very best bullet available for the mission at hand. Regardless of what has worked a 100 years or not, it is simply foolish to not comprehend that today we have far better. There are a good many great bullets out there to choose from, there really are no "Bad Bullets", but as hunters we sometimes make bad choices in our bullets. When it comes down to it, its not the cartridge, not the case, not the rifle, "its the bullet that does all the heavy lifting"...... And unfortunately I find all to often, the most overlooked component of any hunt. The bullet choice can most certainly be the deciding factor alone of ones success, or failure. We all have made those mistakes in the past, I have. But not again.

Michael
I understand that as well, which is why I am looking at all the different bullets. As I said, I don't want to lose my buff by either bad shot or poor bullet performance. If I were to go the route I had stated, it would be Hornady, which is proven. I am also looking at the Barnes line and GS Custom in addition to North Fork, etc. No decision has been made, but thank you for the input. I really do enjoy these conversations!

I know of no one who has independently put in more effort researching big bore flight and terminal ballistics than Michael. And all of his lab data has been backed up on the ground hunting on numerous trips for DG in both Africa and with @PaulT in Australia.

I also say Michael has done this work independently as no one has paid him for his efforts. He is not a writer for any of the gun/hunting magazines nor does he have any business in that space. He has paid for all of this as it's his passion/obsession. Michael has been very kind to share his results with anyone who asks.

+100

Michael's thread on AR should be required reading.

Tim

Michael

not entirely sure I agree with this, nostalgia plays a HUGE part of African hunting these days and you will often find people using antique rifles or modern rifles chambered in antique cartridges.

you dont "need" to use the latest and greatest bullet to kill things with the 458 WM. a 480gr .458" Woodleigh bullet will kill anything extremely effectively. the only failures ive ever heard of were with people pushing them past standard NE velocities. now there isn't anything wrong with using CEB, Barnes, or North Fork bullets they have solid reputations for being effective. but the Woodleigh bonded bullet will get the job done if used properly. pick the bullet that shoots the most accurately in your rifle and go enjoy Africa!

the only types of bullets I would recommend people avoid for large and dangerous game are the old cup/core type bullets (not bonded) and the light bonded bullets. examples of cup/core are Hornady interlock, Sierra Game King, Hornady DGX, and Speer Hot-cor. examples of light bonded bullets are Hornady interbond, Nosler Accurbond, and Swift Scirocco. im not saying these bullets wont work, just that they aren't ideal for the job.

-matt

Just reloaded the rounds I fired the other day. Loaded up 500 gr. Hornady DGS on top of 72 gr. of Varget. That case gets pretty full! I have now put my eyes on why monolithic bullets have to be loaded to a lesser weight! Lol

yes, monolithic bullets can cause some real issues with case capacity! i tried 400gr TSX in my 416 RM but couldnt get the speed any better then about 2170fps because of the case capacity. in my case the 416 Rigby would be a better choice if i wanted to use the .416" 400gr Barnes TSX due to its larger case capacity.

-matt

For me, nostalgia has no place when hunting dangerous game, not when it comes to bullet choice. That is merely a game for amateurs. But good luck on those endeavors, and you will always have a professional there to sort out the mess you make. Hopefully no one gets hurt playing that game.

Guys, it seems that there are concerns about compressed loads? Compressed loads are not a bad thing. Fact is, they are more preferable actually. Paneilson, while Varget will work in 458 Win, there are several powders that will do a better job for you. IMR 8208, TAC, XTerminator, AA 2230... will take a 450 #13, 450 North Fork, or other monos to 2250-2300 fps at safe pressures. I ran 75/Varget to 2200 at 55000 and stopped as it would not equal other powders without getting too much pressure with 450s. AA 2230 would hit the 2250-2260 mark at the same pressure.....

Do not be afraid of compressed loads. In a bolt gun the bottom round tends to be pushed in the case (indeed increasing pressures) from recoil of the top two or three grounds fired. A proper powder chosen, and compressed, with lighter crimp solves that issue. Compressed loads are more efficient, and consistent as well. Some of the slower powders you can compress to the point of "Bulging the Case" and never run into a pressure issue. Of course you don't want to bulge the cases, as they won't chamber....... RL 15 in 458 Winchester, you cannot get enough powder under a 450-500 to ever run into any pressure issues, you will bulge the case first. RL 15 varies quite a bit not only Lot to Lot, but even can to can...... Most recent RL 15 that I have here is a waste of time in 458 Win. RL 15 I have had in the past was a number one powder in 458 Win and Lott.......... But it was heavy compressed, and if not careful would indeed bulge the case and not chamber.

In the case of 416 Rem, you can easy run 400s to 2350-2400 fps with RL 15 and IMR 4064 and stay under 61000 PSI......... Most twist rates in 416 are actually too slow to "terminally stabilize" most 400 solids, to fully stabilize even properly designed 400 solids you need 1:12 twist rates in 416. Fortunately it is very simple to drop weight to 350-370 in the slower twist rates at 1:16 and terminally stabilize the bullet for straight line penetration, at least a properly designed solid with 65%-70% meplat for caliber. In ALL cases, the 350-370 proper designed solids will out penetrate, out perform, lesser designs at 400....... Same as with the 450 to 500 comparison in 458 caliber..............

Not so hard to impress elephant, lion, hippo, leopard, but when it comes to ole buff, he ain't impressed much, even with the best of bullets. Many a buff will take a good hit with a decent bullet, run 30-40 yards and pile up stone cold. Every so often however you will run into that one ole buff that will fight you until that last drop of blood leaves him, and that last breath leaves him. He will soak up bullets like a sponge. You hit him hard, you hit him with the very best you got, and you hit him again and again until the problem is solved, and even then you best pay the insurance, cause if he has a drop of blood left, a single breath left, he can and sometimes will fight right to that point.

Regardless of how you choose, good luck in your endeavors.....

Michael

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jessica87G

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross