My son drew a New Mexico Oryx tag - now what?

Rookhawk,

I have to agree with Jacques Smith. Aldo Gucci was known for saying: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten". I have found this to be true.

I have harvested 3 NM oryx. The guy I would use is Mark Haynes he owns Ironsight Outfitters out of Hobbs NM. Last time I checked he had harvested I believe 290 some, more than any other outfitter. He has access to one of 3 ranches that boarder the missile range. He is the only outfitter for that ranch. The neat thing about drawing a tag is you could hunt that ranch and the public that is landlocked by that ranch. If you need any more info on it let me know. Best of luck

Postscript:

We did indeed use Mark Haynes and he was a consummate professional. As of July 3rd, he has guided and harvested 303 Oryx in New Mexico. No one has guided more.

The land is mostly locked up (private) and the Oryx are very sneaky, standing 50 yards inside the safety of WSMR 99% of the time. The directly bordering private lands stand the best chance of getting an Oryx off base.

I highly recommend Mark. He knows Oryx. He knows how to find them. He has trespass rights where they roam. He has a good rig. He knows how to cape. He had 80 pounds of ice ready to get the meat chilled immediately. 5-star outfitter: Mark Haynes - Iron Sight Guide Service.

My son got a beautiful Oryx on the hunt. We processed all night yesterday, we grind burgers today!

To protect my kid from a future world where you get harassed for being a hunter, I won’t put up the good pictures that show his face well. That’s my son with Mr. Mark Haynes.

Mark states that he is the youngest Hunter he is aware of that has taken an Oryx in New Mexico being 8. Kids are a specialty for him, a 9 year old is hunting with him in the next week also.

599A4751-7D44-4C1C-B1BE-F91AF96B2C35.jpeg

That's awesome!

Happy it worked out so well!

Wonderful! Good for you getting an outfitter for this special hunt! I’m sure your son will appreciate the experience the rest of his life!

Rookhawk, this hunt was just one of the things you'll be doing for your kids. Just think of how the show and tell is going to be for them once they get back to school. Your daughter takes a bear your son takes an Oryx. What a lucky dad you are! You and yours will relive these hunts for decades to come. The time you spend with your kids is priceless, while money comes and goes.

Rookhawk, this hunt was just one of the things you'll be doing for your kids. Just think of how the show and tell is going to be for them once they get back to school. Your daughter takes a bear your son takes an Oryx. What a lucky dad you are! You and yours will relive these hunts for decades to come. The time you spend with your kids is priceless, while money comes and goes.

Thanks, @Shootist43 . Truly special times with my kids. I really enjoy their company as I watch them develop into mature people. The Oryx hunt was a really spectacular time. Today we get to grind up oryx together to complete the process!

For those that care, rough SCI measurements were (I may have underscored the circumference) L 34-5/8 & 6-5/8, R 34-3/8 and 6-5/8. Total 82-2/8.

S.C.I Silver is 81. Not bad for his first time out, or maybe I should rephrase that to say pretty darn good for his first time out. Are you going to get it mounted so he can put it in his room?

We’re looking into taxidermy options. We don’t have tall ceilings and we have piles of rugs, so the options are as follows:

1.) we find a deal on a chess piece / pedestal and swap in his horns

2.) we do a damask / toile

3.) we combine his taxidermy and some of mine that are in queue with Artistry of wildlife to do a combined pedestal. (Kudu, bushbuck, gemsbok?).

4.) failing all of that, euro mount.

Great job! Congrats for training (and her) to shoot well and respect the game! Fantastic beast! I’ve followed a similar path with not posting pictures of my children with game...

Great job! Congrats for training (and her) to shoot well and respect the game! Fantastic beast! I’ve followed a similar path with not posting pictures of my children with game...

I concur. Not to sound bleak, but I think there is a time in the near future where our children will be unemployable if they are known hunters. They will be treated the same as children of Nazi officers.

Facts today:

Facial recognition of photos on the net - check
Timemachine / wayback machine to see everything posted AND deleted from the net - check
HR department screening of social media for comments prior to hire - check
Current precedent for shaming / ostracizing people that hunt - check (Walt Palmer, Giraffe girl, Godaddy CEO, Eric/Don Trump, many others)

That's why I'm very touchy about even using my real name on AH even though most of you that PM know me well. It's not just about our privacy, it's about our kids privacy in the dystopian future that is coming at us quickly. We have the right to do what we want as we express our values, even if it harms our livelihood or standing in certain social circles. None of us have the right to damn our children's future social circumstances based on how we present their interests as a minor. They can decide that as adults.

unfortunately you are correct sir! the triple pedestal would look great I think. Although the other options should great as well.

Congrats to you and your son on a great hunt.

Congrats, that is great oryx for your son!

Outstanding, congratulations to you and your son.

Awesome! The money stings for a little while, but your son will remember that for the rest of his life.

Very happy to see another generation getting to experience what we all love so much.

Nice job rookhawk!

Postscript:

We did indeed use Mark Haynes and he was a consummate professional. As of July 3rd, he has guided and harvested 303 Oryx in New Mexico. No one has guided more.

The land is mostly locked up (private) and the Oryx are very sneaky, standing 50 yards inside the safety of WSMR 99% of the time. The directly bordering private lands stand the best chance of getting an Oryx off base.

I highly recommend Mark. He knows Oryx. He knows how to find them. He has trespass rights where they roam. He has a good rig. He knows how to cape. He had 80 pounds of ice ready to get the meat chilled immediately. 5-star outfitter: Mark Haynes - Iron Sight Guide Service.

My son got a beautiful Oryx on the hunt. We processed all night yesterday, we grind burgers today!

To protect my kid from a future world where you get harassed for being a hunter, I won’t put up the good pictures that show his face well. That’s my son with Mr. Mark Haynes.

Mark states that he is the youngest Hunter he is aware of that has taken an Oryx in New Mexico being 8. Kids are a specialty for him, a 9 year old is hunting with him in the next week also.

View attachment 292346
Absolutely wonderful- good on you Dad!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stitchcart

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg