Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
My Dad (I call him Papa) went on a little walk today. His granddaughter wanted to go on a hike and he's not the kind of man that will say no to his granddaughter. So off went Papa, his granddaughter, and my sister and her husband. Pretty standard stuff, right ? Not really...

You see my Papa is 80 years old. And this little walk was to the top of a 14er in CO, Mt. Sherman to be exact.

The quote below is what my niece posted on FB and some pictures as well. My Papa is in much better shape than I am!

" “I think I’d like to do one of these (a 14er) when I’m 80.” — Chief two years ago coming down another 14er.

He may have regretted saying that to me because I never let him forget that he said that, but he did the dang thing! Truly a day I’ll never forget. He’s my hero."

FB_IMG_1661204085913.jpg
FB_IMG_1661204080360.jpg
FB_IMG_1661204074018.jpg
FB_IMG_1661204067575.jpg
FB_IMG_1661204054744.jpg

That is impressive! Congratulations to him!

That is impressive! Congratulations to him!
It really is impressive!

And Papa is a VERY humble man. I assure you the signs were not his idea and that he was told to hold them up and smile by his granddaughter! LOL

I've been on top of a few of these 14er's here in Colorado but they were all done before I hit 60, I can't imagine trying another one in 10 years.

Kudo's to your Papa to be 80 and still able to get up and going up some of these here mole hills that we have.

Congratulations to your Papa. I am fairly certain his generation was cut from a much tougher piece of leather than mine.
Me and my Brother lost our Mom in ’89 and Dad in ‘94…Never take for granted the time God has allowed you with your Papa.
Thank You, for sharing…It brought back fond memories of my “Papa”.

Congratulations to your Dad. That is a fantastic feat for an individual much younger.

Next year I look forward to the post where you join your dad for a 14'er.;)

Enjoy every day you have with him.

Congratulations to your Dad. That is a fantastic feat for an individual much younger.

Next year I look forward to the post where you join your dad for a 14'er.;)

Enjoy every day you have with him.
We can do an AH gathering at the top of a 14’er:LOL:

Royal, You sure thats your dad? He bears only a minimal resemblance to you! :E Shocked:

Congrats to your Dad buddy. Good on him for letting that kid drag her up that hill.

Great fotos........tough old boy.....14K sucks the air out of us......................well done.........FWB

Royal, You sure thats your dad? He bears only a minimal resemblance to you! :E Shocked:

Congrats to your Dad buddy. Good on him for letting that kid drag her up that hill.

Man ain't it the truth! And he can still put away the groceries too. You should see him eat homemade ice cream. He's a legend.

Yeah he's definitely a rare breed !

We can do an AH gathering at the top of a 14’er:LOL:

You should organize the outing! I climbed Quandary a couple years ago. It kicked my butt but I made it. Just give me 6 months notice to get in shape. :oops:

Better yet we should do Pikes Peak or Evans so we can drive up.:LOL:

I love it! I bet he could leave me behind on that hike! My Papa turned 80 in April as well. He’s in excellent health but I’m starting to think about his mortality more and more. So next week I’m taking him to the Red River in Manitoba to go catfishing. Neither one of us has seen one before so hopefully it’ll be fun! You and I are lucky Royal!

You should organize the outing! I climbed Quandary a couple years ago. It kicked my butt but I made it. Just give me 6 months notice to get in shape. :oops:

Better yet we should do Pikes Peak or Evans so we can drive up.:LOL:
You are right! There is more than one way to get to the top of a 14’er

That’s awesome Royal!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IlaCourtne

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!