My New Verney Carron 600 NE has arrived

Jealous much....:D

love it!

we all have our own preferences but that rifle comes pretty close to ideal for me! my only change would be longer barrels.

whats the regulating speed? im assuming its regulated for Woodleigh 900gr bullets.

-matt

So how does it shoot.
I am torn between 500/577/600.
Just not sure of which to choose.
I know the 500 makes sense. But I also know that I get the itch and want a 600.

Please send more pics. That is a beautiful rifle

Hello All,

Thanks for all your replies.

Handsome rifle! How long did it take to get it, after you placed the order? Just curious.
Hello Brent in Az,

Thanks for the reply.

Bespoke guns have about a 1 year lead time.

whats the regulating speed? im assuming its regulated for Woodleigh 900gr bullets.
Hello matt85,

Thanks for the reply.

If you look closely at the regulating target that I've pictured, it shows regulating with Kynoch Factory Ammo - 900g at approx 2050fps.

So how does it shoot.
I am torn between 500/577/600.
Just not sure of which to choose.
I know the 500 makes sense. But I also know that I get the itch and want a 600.
Please send more pics. That is a beautiful rifle
Hello Venture South Outfitting,

Thanks for the reply.

I would suggest the 600 NE - Lots of Companies make 500s and 577s, but only a very few make a 600 NE, and VC is the best for the money and more. The few others that offer a 600 NE are 3X to 8X more expensive. Some would argue, not as good quality.

Congrats with a formidable stopping rifle...(y)

I would love it if you made a penetration test with Kynoch factory ammo in pinewood, just for the hell of it..

I shot a new .600 with that ammo...quite an experience....but absolutely controllable...

I suspect the .600 with full loads and the 900 grain Woodleigh will kill elephant like the hammer of Thor..

The bad penetration rumour it got after WWII is probably caused by the useless "solids" Kynoch loaded after this date..

the reason i ask about speed is because the 600 NE has a rough history with bad penetration due to low velocity. Kynoch lists their ammunition at 900gr Woodleigh bullet at 1950fps from a 28" barrel. this means maybe 1800-1850fps or so from a 24" barrel. ive read of a few cases where a 900gr bullet has failed to penerate an elephants skull when loaded below the 1950fps mark.

i would recommend shooting your 600 over chronograph to find out what velocity your actually getting. it wouldnt be too hard to speed up the cartridges a bit with hand loading and reregulating the gun wouldnt be expensive compared to the price of the rifle.

-matt

Hello matt85

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not really too interested in factory ballistics, and I don't have any factory ammo. I figure when time comes, I can load anything I want, to just about any velocity. These "bigest" big bores are very forgiving for regulation, compared to smaller big bores.

Right now I've been working up some hunting loads for Wisconsin Whitetail Deer. I've got a load that shoots a 900g lead bullet of my design at 1495 fps, and a 900g Barnes solid (old style made from copper tubing) at 1425 fps. Both loads shoot to point of aim at 50 yds. The Barnes bullet group measured 2-3/4" and my lead bullet group measured 3-1/8" - with the composit groups measuring 3-1/2". Standard deviation of only 6 fps and 7 fps.

Recoil energy of my lead bullet load is 63 ft/lbs - and 58.5 ft/lbs for the Barnes solid load. That equates to muzzle energy of 4467 ft/lbs and 4060 ft/lbs respectively.

Either should be great for Wisconsin White Tail Deer.

So far I'm up to 113 rounds through the rifle. I've sent over 465,500 ft/lbs on energy into the backstop, and absorbed over 6,700 ft/lbs of recoil energy into my body. This has really worked out any stiffness in my neck or back.:)

Congratulations on a beautiful rifle!

sounds like your having a great time!

let us know how it does on deer. :D

-matt

sounds like your having a great time!
let us know how it does on deer. :D
-matt

Hello matt85,

Thanks for the reply.

I am very happy with my load development for my VC 600 NE. Below are the details of my handloading to date.

Elmer Keith once wrote about the 75% rule for double rifles. He said you shoot either a "full charge" with 75% bullet weight (2,000 fps MV with a 675g bullet) or, a 75% charge with a "full bullet weight". (1,500 fps MV with a 900g bullet)

In my rifle, the first option would result in 93.9 ft/lbs of felt recoil with 5,996 ft/lbs of muzzle energy - and the second option would give 63.3 ft/lbs of felt recoil with 4,467 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. Since a common deer cartridge in Wisconsin is a .308 win cal. which gives about 2,700 ft/lbs of muzzle energy, and not wanting to beat myself up with unnecessary recoil, I chose the second option, which actually gives more than enough energy.

I've developed this reduced load to shoot "point of aim" at 50 yds at about 75% velocity, using both the 900g Barnes solid (old style made from copper tubing) and the 900g cast bullet of my design,

I'll be using my 600 NE this fall - hopefully to bag a Wisconsin Whitetail Deer. I am particularly pleased with this guns first pair from a cold start - when you look at the targets below, you can see that R1 and L1 group exactly 1 inch.

600targ98.jpg
600targ99.jpg

Attachments

• 600targ99.jpg
    600targ99.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 166
  • 600targ98.jpg
    600targ98.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
a little tweaking and im better you can get those reduced loads to tighten up a bit.

-matt

Wow what a rifle! Nothing like owning a quality double rifle....just makes you sleep well at night..

Hello matt85,

Thanks for the reply.

I am very happy with my load development for my VC 600 NE. Below are the details of my handloading to date.

Elmer Keith once wrote about the 75% rule for double rifles. He said you shoot either a "full charge" with 75% bullet weight (2,000 fps MV with a 675g bullet) or, a 75% charge with a "full bullet weight". (1,500 fps MV with a 900g bullet)

In my rifle, the first option would result in 93.9 ft/lbs of felt recoil with 5,996 ft/lbs of muzzle energy - and the second option would give 63.3 ft/lbs of felt recoil with 4,467 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. Since a common deer cartridge in Wisconsin is a .308 win cal. which gives about 2,700 ft/lbs of muzzle energy, and not wanting to beat myself up with unnecessary recoil, I chose the second option, which actually gives more than enough energy.

I've developed this reduced load to shoot "point of aim" at 50 yds at about 75% velocity, using both the 900g Barnes solid (old style made from copper tubing) and the 900g cast bullet of my design,

I'll be using my 600 NE this fall - hopefully to bag a Wisconsin Whitetail Deer. I am particularly pleased with this guns first pair from a cold start - when you look at the targets below, you can see that R1 and L1 group exactly 1 inch.

600targ98.jpg
600targ99.jpg
Seems to me you are about ready to go bust a nice Wisconsin Whitetail!

Congrats, she's a beaut, wish you plenty happy adventures with her.

:D Beers:Congratulations!! This is one of the nicest new double I have seen in along time:A Way To Go:

And if it last more than four hrs call your doc... NOT!! If it last more than 4 hrs I am calling everyone I know:A Banana::A Big Hello::E Dancing:

:D Beers:Congratulations!! This is one of the nicest new double I have seen in along time:A Way To Go::A Banana::A Big Hello::E Dancing:

Hello Mekaniks and all the others,

Thanks for the replies,

As I said earlier, I spend a lot of time examining my rifle with a magifying glass and discovering new things that I hadn't seen before.
When I first examined the engraving of the Rhino, I actually thought it might me some kind of photo-etch process - but its not. Its an actual hand engraving. I'm guessing the Engraver also works for the French Mint, engraving the printing plates used for printing paper money. What remarkable detail!

The close-up of the Rhino looks very good, but when you look through a magnifying glass - you can see where the Engraver signed his name to his artwork. (Look straight right of the Rhino's horn, just off the edge of the engraving- there he signed his name.)

rhinoclose.jpg

rhinoclose1.jpg

Attachments

• rhinoclose1.jpg
    rhinoclose1.jpg
    663.5 KB · Views: 199
  • rhinoclose.jpg
    rhinoclose.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 204
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg