My New Knife : A True American Classic

There have been belt sharpeners at various packing houses that I've worked. they would take metal off and could leave a nice edge but the use had to be very careful about the blade getting hot because if it did, the temper would go and the knife wouldn't be worth carrying back to the boning table.

View attachment 336977

Alongside having a proper rifle and/or shot gun for use in the shikar field ... it is an inescapable fact that every sports man must always carry a dependable knife for field use . Ever since I was a child , I have always gravitated towards folding knives and have always carried 1 in my pocket no matter where I go . I always would carry a Sheffield Navy clasp knife in my youth and throughout my career , which was a gift from my maternal grand father , Sepoy Jalaluddin Khan . The knife served me extremely well and the carbon steel blade could take an extremely keen edge just by sharpening it on a common Ganges River rock and then stropping it on a piece of coarse leather . However , it needed to constantly be kept well oiled in order to prevent corrosion and needed to be sharpened fairly frequently .
My American shikar partner , the late Tobin Stakkatz used a different sort of knife , however . It was a Buck Model 110 lock back folding knife , with 440C stainless steel blade . It would hold an edge long enough to skin 2 sambhur deer without needing re sharpening. However , it was extremely difficult to sharpen , as the blade was extremely hard . I aspired to own a knife like that someday . However , during my entire career as a professional shikaree , I had to make do with the Sheffield Navy clasp knife and a local Indian “ Rampuri Chaku “ folding knives , which used blades made from the leaf springs of motor vehicles.
After I retired and moved to Bangladesh , I purchased several other knives from different companies over the years to add to my shikar kit and collection , including Finnish Pukko knives , Victorionox Swiss Army knives and Gerber knives . However , Buck Knives were not imported in to Bangladesh for many years and for some reason , whenever I would go to America for touring ... I never really had the good fortune to visit any sporting goods shops , which carried Buck knives .
Today , I went to “ Mizan & Sons Fishing Co. “ ( 1 of Bangladesh’s oldest shops , which sells fishing equipment ) to purchase a new length of fishing line and my eyes fell casually upon the display case , which held all the knives for sale. There was a modest selection of Buck knives in the display case ! The owner told me that his shop had recently begun to import Buck knives in to Bangladesh for his customers . I saw a beautiful Buck Model 110 lock back folding knife , which came with a black leather pouch and I knew that I absolutely HAD to have it .The price being no problem whatsoever .... I am now the proud new owner of a Buck Model 110 and I look forward to the ( hopefully ) many years of service which this knife can give me . It came razor sharp straight out of the box .
View attachment 337078

Do any of you fine gentlemen have a fondness for Buck Knives , as well ? And does anyone here know how to re sharpen a 440C stainless steel blade ? My general sharpening experience is fair. However , I have never personally sharpened a 440C stainless steel blade before .
A true classic if there ever was one...

There have been belt sharpeners at various packing houses that I've worked. they would take metal off and could leave a nice edge but the use had to be very careful about the blade getting hot because if it did, the temper would go and the knife wouldn't be worth carrying back to the boning table.
Ray B
I remember those belt sharpener of old, the had one speed, steel smelter if you were not careful. They could reduce a good boning knife to a tooth pick by the end of the day. That's why 99.9% of my sharpening used to be done on a stone.
The Ken Onion knife sharpener is variable speed and remove about the same amount as a stone.
Don't get me wrong if you use the course belt at high speed it will ruin a knife PDQ. Ken Onion is a knife maker and designed the system to work to his standards. If you follow the instructions including speed recommended you won't have any issues.
Cheers mate Bob

Back in the 70's when I was in the Boy Scouts it was all the rage to have a Philmont belt w
Tooth of Time buckle and a Buck 110 knife. My parents gave me one in 1976 when I received my Eagle Scout award. I have to admit, that I don't use it very much and never hunting. I prefer and straight blade knife, Case perferably. That said, I have a Puma handmade straight blade knife, that I carry for show - I am too afraid to use it as it was too expensive to damage. Because, I always wanted a Puma knife.

PS - A little Brasso, will that tarnish of the brass and make it nice and shiny.
Wesheltonj
Now days I prefer to just clean the brass with a scoured. I had a hurtful of brass in the army. I never want to see that stuff again
Cheers mate Bob

Back in the 70's when I was in the Boy Scouts it was all the rage to have a Philmont belt with a Tooth of Time buckle and a Buck 110 knife. My parents gave me one in 1976 when I received my Eagle Scout award. I have to admit, that I don't use it very much and never hunting. I prefer and straight blade knife, Case perferably. That said, I have a Puma handmade straight blade knife, that I carry for show - I am too afraid to use it as it was too expensive to damage. Because, I always wanted a Puma knife.

PS - A little Brasso, will that tarnish of the brass and make it nice and shiny.

if you don't use it, why bother to carry it?
bruce.

does anyone remember the old rogers bunny knife?
in fixed blade, I have always wondered about the old Canadian belt knife by russel.
they looked a bit different, but still seem to exist, even in this day when a knife's primary purpose seems to be to make you look like a commando.
it might say something for their functionality?
bruce.
bruce moulds
Funny you should mention the Canadian belt knife. I love mine it is a carbon steel flat grind, hold a wicked edge
20200407_215012.jpg

The bigger knife is a Blade Runner brand, cost me the princely sum of $39. It will completely dress 14 sheep including cutting the throat, then go and skin a sambar. Give it a lick on a fine diamond oval stick and it's ready to go for a while.
I bought the Canadian belt knife and the Savage 110 because they were developed in the same year as me 1958. A bloody good year that one
Cheers mate Bob

I consider it an absolute privilege to read you jabber , Ridge Walker ! I never ( even for 1 moment ) imagined that you were in the knife industry . Are you , by any chance familiar with the work of a North Carolina based custom knife maker named Mr. Robert Parrish ? He used to make hollow handle survival knives out of 440C stainless steel , which was labeled the “ survivor “ series . I used to personally own 1 of his knives which I purchased in 1984 . It used to have saw shaped “ teeth “ on 1 side of the blade . I have been attempting to contact him for several years now , because I would very much like him to make me another .
Friend Ponton
Is this the knife you are looking for my friend. There are a couple on eBay but they are not cheap
Screenshot_20200426-102901_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200426-102844_Chrome.jpg

I hope this helps you my dear friend
Bob Nelson

We had the same problem with them in our abattoir, they were the only reliable way to quickly sharpen once we were forced to switch to stainless blades.

Friend Ponton
Is this the knife you are looking for my friend. There are a couple on eBay but they are not cheap View attachment 344371
View attachment 344372
I hope this helps you my dear friend
Bob Nelson
Why yes , Bob ! Robert Parrish used to make these in North Carolina ... by using 440 C stainless steel , in the 1980s. They were referred to , as the " Sun Survival " series.
Most hollow handle knives are extremely weak at the range. However, not Robert Parrish hollow handle survival knives. They were built like tanks and had functional saw type teeth on the spine of the blade.
A good friend who served in the Canadian army ...told me that Robert Parrish knives used to be extremely popular with the Canadian Army.

Friend Ponton
As I've got older I work more with my head. Instead of using a sharpening stone I now use the Ken Onion knife sharpener. It will sharpen any knife at the angles you want in minutes.
View attachment 344367
It operates on a system of belts from course to very very fine. What I like is it doesn't take off lots of metal and is quick and easy. It will sharpen your Buck 110 in minutes.
Keep safe and well my Friend
Bob Nelson
This is quite an innovative tool to make use of ... for sharpening , Bob . I personally use a Spyderco Sharp Maker, at the moment.

View attachment 336977

Alongside having a proper rifle and/or shot gun for use in the shikar field ... it is an inescapable fact that every sports man must always carry a dependable knife for field use . Ever since I was a child , I have always gravitated towards folding knives and have always carried 1 in my pocket no matter where I go . I always would carry a Sheffield Navy clasp knife in my youth and throughout my career , which was a gift from my maternal grand father , Sepoy Jalaluddin Khan . The knife served me extremely well and the carbon steel blade could take an extremely keen edge just by sharpening it on a common Ganges River rock and then stropping it on a piece of coarse leather . However , it needed to constantly be kept well oiled in order to prevent corrosion and needed to be sharpened fairly frequently .
My American shikar partner , the late Tobin Stakkatz used a different sort of knife , however . It was a Buck Model 110 lock back folding knife , with 440C stainless steel blade . It would hold an edge long enough to skin 2 sambhur deer without needing re sharpening. However , it was extremely difficult to sharpen , as the blade was extremely hard . I aspired to own a knife like that someday . However , during my entire career as a professional shikaree , I had to make do with the Sheffield Navy clasp knife and a local Indian “ Rampuri Chaku “ folding knives , which used blades made from the leaf springs of motor vehicles.
After I retired and moved to Bangladesh , I purchased several other knives from different companies over the years to add to my shikar kit and collection , including Finnish Pukko knives , Victorionox Swiss Army knives and Gerber knives . However , Buck Knives were not imported in to Bangladesh for many years and for some reason , whenever I would go to America for touring ... I never really had the good fortune to visit any sporting goods shops , which carried Buck knives .
Today , I went to “ Mizan & Sons Fishing Co. “ ( 1 of Bangladesh’s oldest shops , which sells fishing equipment ) to purchase a new length of fishing line and my eyes fell casually upon the display case , which held all the knives for sale. There was a modest selection of Buck knives in the display case ! The owner told me that his shop had recently begun to import Buck knives in to Bangladesh for his customers . I saw a beautiful Buck Model 110 lock back folding knife , which came with a black leather pouch and I knew that I absolutely HAD to have it .The price being no problem whatsoever .... I am now the proud new owner of a Buck Model 110 and I look forward to the ( hopefully ) many years of service which this knife can give me . It came razor sharp straight out of the box .
View attachment 337078

Do any of you fine gentlemen have a fondness for Buck Knives , as well ? And does anyone here know how to re sharpen a 440C stainless steel blade ? My general sharpening experience is fair. However , I have never personally sharpened a 440C stainless steel blade before .
I have had a buck 110 folder for 44years and it has field dressed and skinned so much game I have lost count. Everything from rabbits to deer to wild boar. I have used it through whole seasons without having to reshape it. I use an Arkansas sharpening stone and barber's strope to resharpen when needed which isn't very often. Clean with soap and water then dry with dish towel. Give it a light coat of oil. Oil the hinge pins about every 3 months and that's all they need .It was the first hunting knife I gave my son.

Last edited:
I feel the same way as you do , sir. I have always carried a knife in my pocket every day of my life , since I was 7 years old . That very 1st pocket knife was a British military surplus Sheffield Navy clasp knife with a carbon steel blade .
Gerber knives are most excellent as well . I have 1 of their fixed blade models ( the Bear Gryllis model ) in my inventory . However , I have always dreamed of owning a Buck knife ( especially the Model 110 ) .
I am never without a folding knife in my pocket usually an uncle Henry that my father gave me that belonged to his father. Went to a football game with my son and didn't even think of it until they checked us with the metal wand detector. Security told me I would have to leave it with them and could pick it up after the game. I told them it was my grandfather's knife and I would never part with it! I walked the 3/4 of a mile back to the car to lock it up. Missed the kickoff but still carry that knife every day and think of my grandfather every time I use it.

Friend Ponton
As I've got older I work more with my head. Instead of using a sharpening stone I now use the Ken Onion knife sharpener. It will sharpen any knife at the angles you want in minutes.
View attachment 344367
It operates on a system of belts from course to very very fine. What I like is it doesn't take off lots of metal and is quick and easy. It will sharpen your Buck 110 in minutes.
Keep safe and well my Friend
Bob Nelson
My Dad taught me to never use power tools to sharpen a knife as they remove too much material. He also taught me that if you cannot shave the hair on your arm you are not done sharpening. Everyone at our hunting cabin asks me to sharpen their knives before season opens. Don't know why but I enjoy doing it. It defiantly is a learned skill.

shaving arm hair does not necessarily mean a knife is ready to cut skin or meat.
I have often found that use of a steel after the stone will convert a hair shaver into a meat/hide cutter.
bruce.

I have had a buck 110 folder for 44years and it has field dressed and skinned so much game I have lost count. Everything from rabbits to deer to wild boar. I have used it through whole seasons without having to reshape it. I use an Arkansas sharpening stone and barber's strope to resharpen when needed which isn't very often. Clean with soap and water then dry with dish towel. Give it a light coat of oil. Oil the hinge pins about every 3 months and that's all they need .It was the first hunting knife I gave my son.
Ah , I see that you and I are gentle men with similar tastes , Mannlicher Schoenaur 9 × 56 . I personally sharpen the 440 C stainless steel blade of my Buck Model 110 lock back folding knife ... With Silicone Carbide , or diamond hones . I have used mine till now ... To field dress cheetal deer , kakar deer , wild boars , quails , pigeons , doves , snipes , cranes ...
And most recently , to skin this civet cat .
received_684547888988639.jpeg

Ah , I see that you and I are gentle men with similar tastes , Mannlicher Schoenaur 9 × 56 . I personally sharpen the 440 C stainless steel blade of my Buck Model 110 lock back folding knife ... With Silicone Carbide , or diamond hones . I have used mine till now ... To field dress cheetal deer , kakar deer , wild boars , quails , pigeons , doves , snipes , cranes ...
And most recently , to skin this civet cat .
View attachment 347111
Boar hide is ruff on knives but the 110 holds that edge. I personally have skinned 4boars without sharpening. It is nice to commiserate with a gentleman such as yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg