RobBrown505

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
AOPA
Hunted
United States, Argentina, Canada, Limpopo
I've never done this because it feels kinda pretentious but I thought the folks on here would appreciate this. I just received this rifle from Wayne and it's a beautiful beast. 18 months in the making, built on the CZ action and chambered in 505 Gibbs, weighing in at 10 3/4 lbs and sporting a 22" barrel with Gunkote finish.

image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg

Boy, I would've shot for about 14 lbs or so myself, would love to see a video of you shooting it to see how she runs, looks great.

I don't reload or I'd love to do the same with my CZ 458 lott, 505 Gibbs is an interesting gal, the 570gr A frame at 2500 fps or so would be interesting.

Would also be interesting to create a mold in something like a 750gr wide flat nose hardcast and see how fast she'd push it, given it's noted as having far too much case capacity that bullet should help.

Be interesting to see how much speed you could get, 2100... maybe?

Anyways, this caliber always brings out the need to ramble in me, congrats on the rifle.

Congratulations! Beautiful gun!

Congradulations. Is AHR still working on guns ?
Krish

Congradulations. Is AHR still working on guns ?
Krish
As I understand it, no longer working on CZs but still working on modern precision firearms.

Boy, I would've shot for about 14 lbs or so myself, would love to see a video of you shooting it to see how she runs, looks great.

I don't reload or I'd love to do the same with my CZ 458 lott, 505 Gibbs is an interesting gal, the 570gr A frame at 2500 fps or so would be interesting.

Would also be interesting to create a mold in something like a 750gr wide flat nose hardcast and see how fast she'd push it, given it's noted as having far too much case capacity that bullet should help.

Be interesting to see how much speed you could get, 2100... maybe?

Anyways, this caliber always brings out the need to ramble in me, congrats on the rifle.
I may have to take a video when I shoot it! It mIght be PG13 for language though. Fair warning

Beautiful rifle! Should be "sporty" at that weight.

It has been worth every second of the 18 months wait to get that rifle. Sure is a beautiful beast.

Beautiful rifle!

My only issue with L/G or D/G rifle, if you need one, is getting mercury recoil reducers; no longer available, here in Oz anyway

Well done and welcome to the "505" club
You did not mention if your hand loading for your 505, with the proper powder selection you can reduce the recoil considerably

Welcome to the 505 club!

Well done and welcome to the "505" club
You did not mention if your hand loading for your 505, with the proper powder selection you can reduce the recoil considerably
Thanks! Yes, I will be hand loading. The rifle was sighted in (open sights) with 120 grains of H-4350 and 600 grain Woodleigh PPs. I have some Woodleigh in 600 and 525 gn. Also have Barnes in 525 gn. Any advise on powder selection would be appreciated.

I may have to take a video when I shoot it! It mIght be PG13 for language though. Fair warning

Will be fine...my cz 550 in 500 Jeff is 9.5 lbs with synthetic stock and bout pound heavier with the wood....and it's fine...I would have gone 10.5lbs tops..so you should not worry... :E Big Grin: :D Beers:....and great looking rifle...if you ever get bored let me know and will make a plan to get it here

I am a big fan of CEB Bullets and filed in my rear sight using CEB's 525gr Solid at 2300fps. Take a look at the Woodleigh Manual, for the 525gr Bullet the powder charges range from 105grs of RL 15 to 153grs of MRP. If you use a recoil calculator that is a difference of 25flbs at the shoulder which is considerable and also more time spent in recoil. I chose to load with RL 15 and a Foam filler and I am very happy with the results.
The Woodleigh Manual by far has the most load data for the 505 Gibbs published

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roll_the_Knob!

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.