My new 9.3x62 (Mauser) built by Wayne Jacobson at AHR

Beautiful rifle it makes my Parker Hale look poor.
@rdog
It is definitely a beautiful rifle. It's almost a shame to take it bush but it would be criminal to have it as a safe queen. Those loads should perform well on game.
Bob

@rdog
It is definitely a beautiful rifle. It's almost a shame to take it bush but it would be criminal to have it as a safe queen. Those loads should perform well on game.
Bob
I agree, almost too nice to hunt in the dust and rain with and downright crazy to own it and not hunt with it.

As I have alluded to in previous threads, I purchased a Winchester M70 (Pre-64) barreled action in 270 WCF (Win) with the express purpose of having it re-barreled and stocked in caliber 9.3x62 (Mauser). According to the factory records, it was made around 1947, and featured the transitional style safety, and the curved tang. Not a "pre-war", but being without the original stock anyway, it has very little, if any collectors value. Having said that, I got a good deal on it, and I have always wanted a "Pre-64" Win M70, and I thought what the heck.

I have few rifles by Wayne, and I feel that his craftsmanship is superb for the money paid by the buyer. So I contacted him, and we set out to build a rifle in this vintage, workhorse of a caliber.

The rifle itself features the original action, that was stripped down to all its bare components for cleaning by myself and re-assembled. I installed a Timney aftermarket trigger (made for the Pre-64) rifles, and set the pull weight to around 2.5 lbs. Wayne then took the rifle and completely reworked/trued the action. He then installed a Kreiger barrel cut and crowned to 24 inches. The bolt stop was removed, and replaced by a Wisner checkered bolt stop. The bolt body was jeweled. As the extractor was an aftermarket extractor, it wouldn't hold the Nitre bluing like I wanted, so we elected to go with a jeweled extractor instead. NECG rear and front sights were installed, along with a barrel band front swivel. The metal was finished in a matte, hot-blued finish. Finally the rifle was stocked in a AAA piece of English walnut with 24 lpi wrap-around checkering and Fleur-de-Lis accents. It was cut to my LOP, and finished with a red Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad, and has a blued and inletted rear sling swivel. Overall, the rifle feels trim and svelte in my hands, and point well. Unloaded and un-scoped, it weighs in around 9 lbs. I plan to install an Leica ERi 2.5-10 x 42 scope with the 4a reticle in detachable Talley rings.

I received the rifle today, and needless to say, I am beyond thrilled with the way the rifle turned out. I plan to hand-load it with 286 grain Nosler Partitions for heavy plains game, leopard, etc. , and I am targeting a velocity of around 2400 fps. Anyway, I thought I would share the pictures as many on here (myself more than any) love to gawk at others rifles. My next rifle that I am going to have Mr. Jacobson build me is a 404 Jeffrey based on a CZ 550 Magnum action (AHR Dangerous Game).

View attachment 160209 View attachment 160211 View attachment 160212 View attachment 160213 View attachment 160214
Beautiful!!!

Beautiful gun. I like the fact that you kept the original safety catch, both for historical and practical reasons. Forward/down for safe is standard practice with tools and (as I have stated more than once) the backwards for safe mechanism was: a modification made to break-action gun design because some users were carrying concealed hammer break-action guns with a round in the breech. The safety was being dragged to the off-position when it brushed against clothing, vegetation, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you