My long dreamed Rigby

Very nice..I had 3 maybe 4 of its twins in the 1990s...sold my last one in early 2000s....what's the ser number if you don't mind?..
Thank you Spike.t, it's a special rifle indeed...
Sorry but I prefer do not publish #number. No offens taken I hope...

The quarter rib and fine striping in the stock are very cool. Cool caliber as well. Congrats.

The quarter rib and fine striping in the stock are very cool. Cool caliber as well. Congrats.
Thank you CJW, you're right, I love that 1/4 rib, it's a rifle built like a tank but still trim and elegant!

Stellar rifle Phil. Has it been to Africa?

Wow what a friend. What's his phone number?

...and since you liked the story, this is the article!
View attachment 465404
Yes, I believe that I still have that article at home. It was good to see that Patsy joined the board of the revived John Rigby company, given her reported competence in the field with a .450 Rigby.

So, Gents, let me share with you a picture of my Rigby .416, a rifle I have long dreamed - actually, for 25 years.
It all started with an article by Craig Boddington on "Rifle Shooter", October '97. The article was about the 450 Rigby, but there was a picture of two beautyful rifles, very classic, very iconic.
I was so fashinated, that since then, I've always wished to have my own African Big Game rifle.
For pure serendipity, this Rigby was pruduced in the middle of 1997, one of the very last before the move to US, accordingly to the Rigby's ledgers. At the time, Paul Roberts - who already produced for Rigby from 1970 as "J. Roberts & Son", owned John Rigby & Co.
An old friend of mine gave it to me, some months ago.
This one is a very accurate rifle, still easy to shot even from the bench.
The wood is outstanding, the claw mounts very well made, the action super smoot. It has a vintage, super attractive appearance. It's my dream rifle.
All I had to do was to polish the stock with TruOil, and install a new english rubber pad. It's exactly 35.5/14" - tailored to me.
I'm very new to AH, but I already have some friends - well, my friends, here it is...
View attachment 465403
Beautiful tool for Africa, thanks for posting. As referred to in the article, some late Rigby's (London) are on CZ, Brno actions. Is this one an Original Magnum Mauser action?

Nevertheless an exquisite rifle.
You have a good friend/mentor!

Beautiful tool for Africa, thanks for posting. As referred to in the article, some late Rigby's (London) are on CZ, Brno actions. Is this one an Original Magnum Mauser action?

Nevertheless an exquisite rifle.
You have a good friend/mentor!
Yes this one has in fact a CZ Brno action, I would say that works perfectly and is very smoot. It seems that Paul Roberts took great care in building his last Rigbys...
Thank you for the congrats!

Yes, I believe that I still have that article at home. It was good to see that Patsy joined the board of the revived John Rigby company, given her reported competence in the field with a .450 Rigby.
Good era, that one... I was 23 in '97!
The article itself is very enteresting - I should put it in a frame...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg