My long dreamed Rigby

Phil Giordano

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Usa, Canada, Italy
So, Gents, let me share with you a picture of my Rigby .416, a rifle I have long dreamed - actually, for 25 years.
It all started with an article by Craig Boddington on "Rifle Shooter", October '97. The article was about the 450 Rigby, but there was a picture of two beautyful rifles, very classic, very iconic.
I was so fashinated, that since then, I've always wished to have my own African Big Game rifle.
For pure serendipity, this Rigby was pruduced in the middle of 1997, one of the very last before the move to US, accordingly to the Rigby's ledgers. At the time, Paul Roberts - who already produced for Rigby from 1970 as "J. Roberts & Son", owned John Rigby & Co.
An old friend of mine gave it to me, some months ago.
This one is a very accurate rifle, still easy to shot even from the bench.
The wood is outstanding, the claw mounts very well made, the action super smoot. It has a vintage, super attractive appearance. It's my dream rifle.
All I had to do was to polish the stock with TruOil, and install a new english rubber pad. It's exactly 35.5/14" - tailored to me.
I'm very new to AH, but I already have some friends - well, my friends, here it is...
20220508_134355.jpg

Its a beauty, congrats on the new add!

Beautiful rifle, great back-story as well. Thanks for sharing!!

I love the 1/4 rib too!

Congratulations! Very beautiful rifle and I am glad to hear about you realizing this dream.

So, Gents, let me share with you a picture of my Rigby .416, a rifle I have long dreamed - actually, for 25 years.
It all started with an article by Craig Boddington on "Rifle Shooter", October '97. The article was about the 450 Rigby, but there was a picture of two beautyful rifles, very classic, very iconic.
I was so fashinated, that since then, I've always wished to have my own African Big Game rifle.
For pure serendipity, this Rigby was pruduced in the middle of 1997, one of the very last before the move to US, accordingly to the Rigby's ledgers. At the time, Paul Roberts - who already produced for Rigby from 1970 as "J. Roberts & Son", owned John Rigby & Co.
The wood is outstanding, the claw mounts very well made, the action super smoot. It has a vintage, super attractive appearance. It's my dream rifle.
All I had to do was to polish the stock with TruOil, and install a new english rubber pad. It's exactly 35.5/14" - tailored to me.
I'm very new to AH, but I already have some friends - well, my friends, here it is...
View attachment 465403
Ah the stuff dreams are made of! Beautiful rifle indeed sir. Enjoy it. A true classic.

I need a friend like yours! Man what a gift! I love the wood on that stock, and the trim profile of the barrel. And that red recoil pad really sets the whole thing off. Very nice! How much does it weigh?

I need a friend like yours! Man what a gift! I love the wood on that stock, and the trim profile of the barrel. And that red recoil pad really sets the whole thing off. Very nice! How much does it weigh?
Toby, you know what? I still have to weight it - but I have to say : I own some other rifles "lighter" for sure, that feel heavier in hands! This one is so well balanched, that feels almost "light", and points where my eyes go.
The stock is very heavy by itself, a very dense and tough wood. But I will let you know, just for curiosity...

Classic, now just needs to make it to Africa for a little DG safari. Thanks for posting.

Beautiful rifle!

Gorgeous rifle @Phil Giordano and congrats on fulfilling a lifelong dream!

View attachment 465403
Fine looking rifle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois