My Latest Purchase 35 Whelen

I humbly submit that those of us that go afield with Winchesters, Remingtons, Rugers, sporterized Springfields CZs and the like are well served by scopes from Leopold, Nikon etc. while those that carry real Rigbys etc need S & B s, Sworos, Zeiss etc. However at the end of the day both groups of hunters (with a little luck) can keep the stew pot filled with meat. The choice of rifle and scope is simply a matter of perspective. To each, his own as they say.

You don't there scruffy! Look at all the animals taken with cheap Bushnells and Tasco's. I like Nikon Monarch 3's and up. I think they are really good scopes.
I knocked a Nikon 3x9 silly when I mounted it on my 375HH the Leupold seems to be fine with the 375

Odd. I have yet to have a problem with the Nikon 3's on my 416 Rigby 404J, or 450 Rigby. Was it a Nikon 3, 5, or 7?
It was the least expensive Nikon made 3?

Surprised you had this issue with it. Sure it wasn't an earlier version or a Prostaff series of scope?
Prostaff

Iv'e had 2 Vortex crap out but their warranty is rock solid and unlike Nikon they have a very fast turn around

I will never buy another Nikon product again. I bought a camera from them a 1200$ D series a few years ago and they stiffed me on a 200$ rebate. After I sent it in with the copy of the recipet I immediately got back a form letter denying my rebate for no stated reason. After many back and forth letters still with no clear reasoning why was not entitled to my rebate. I got a hold of a person in a warranty division, because there was no office to deal with rebates on the phone only by mail i was told tough luck and to mail my information to the rebate department. After kinda giving up my druggie brother ended up stealing it and selling it for drug money. Worst experience ever. I still don't talk to my brother over it and im damn sure will never buy another Nikon product again and bad mouth the hell out of them and tell my story every chance I get

had first problem with a vortex. sent the scope back. best customer service department i've work with. very friendly - quick service. they repaired it and sent it back.

I will never buy another Nikon product again. I bought a camera from them a 1200$ D series a few years ago and they stiffed me on a 200$ rebate. After I sent it in with the copy of the recipet I immediately got back a form letter denying my rebate for no stated reason. After many back and forth letters still with no clear reasoning why was not entitled to my rebate. I got a hold of a person in a warranty division, because there was no office to deal with rebates on the phone only by mail i was told tough luck and to mail my information to the rebate department. After kinda giving up my druggie brother ended up stealing it and selling it for drug money. Worst experience ever. I still don't talk to my brother over it and im damn sure will never buy another Nikon product again and bad mouth the hell out of them and tell my story every chance I get
Too bad you had to go through that. Really sucks.
I have yet to have an issue with Nikon. Granted I haven't done the rebate thing, but otherwise the products are good and dependable. My wife is heavily into photography and has a bunch of pricey Nikon camera's (an she complains my hobby is expensive!).

I love my leupolds, but I actually also am enthralled with Burris. Their warranty department if fantastic and their glass is very clear. I have a full field II on my .223 now and it is great for woodchucks out to 300 yards. I used to have a burris scout scope on a ruger GSR. (Don't judge me.. I was young and foolish and hadn't seen the beauty of checkered walnut and english rifles). Anyway, There was an issue with the reticle. I was the 3rd or fourth owner of the scope. Burris sent me a shipping label and 2 weeks later I got the scope back with a new reticle, fresh seals and a tube refilled with nitrogen. That experience sold me on their scopes!

had first problem with a vortex. sent the scope back. best customer service department i've work with. very friendly - quick service. they repaired it and sent it back.

follow up - after the scope was returned to me by vortex had the same issue - spraying bullets in 6"+ pattern. to be certain, sent the rifle to manufacturer (remington) who mounted a scope and shot the rifle. they sent me the target and it was not the rifle. sent the scope to vortex a second time, with a clear message of do not "repair" the scope and send it back to me again. either send me a new scope or refund my money. they sent me a new scope.

I have used a 35 Whelen for the last 18 years Remington 700 classic this gun was my favorite and still would be if my son would still not asked for it for a graduation present now I have a 375 Ruger.
The only complaint I ever had was that the extra long magizen allowed shells get a running start in it and recoil made a mess of lead tips 3 shots would flatten last 2 in mag to the point that it affected accuracy to solve this I used acubonds only and I could see if they were in when the gun was shot.
The good news is it loved acubonds to the point that if I did my part a 1hole group was easy at 100 yards.
And I could seat them shallow into the case way over col.
Great find and I hope it serves you well.
Shawn
How have the 35 W Accubonds performed on game?

The accubonds preform great on white tail deer I have taken deer from 10-300+ yards and have never recovered a bullet the 10 yard shot was straight on went the whole leanth of the deer and to parts unknown. Most shots are bang flop had a large body buck go 10 yards once that was the longest for years then my son shot a doe threw both shoulders and she went about 30 yards that is the record. On close shots if big bones are hit a lot of meat can be wasted I try to keep shots behind shoulder and it's not bad.
Shawn

I don't have any experience with the .35 Accubonds, however a friend uses them in his 280 Improved and has found that they open very quickly but the shank holds together well- at least on the medium sized deer that he has shot.

So, this may be all wrong to post here, but since it's about 35 whelen I thought I would. Gander Mountain is closing down, they have a pile of 35 Whelen ammo still, 60% off. Didn't know if anyone wanted. I'll only be able to get it tomorrow if anyone wanted it. You pay for the ammo and shipping and I'll snag some if anyone wants.

IMG_3066.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg