Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
Here is a video I created recently about my hunting suppressors. There are many, many misconceptions about suppressors. There are also many that don't understand the process and don't know of the far superior hunting suppressors on the market now.
What has kept you from hunting with a suppressor? Lets discuss.
Regards,
Philip

Here is why some here don’t use suppressors.
Section 84(1) of the Criminal Code prescribes any device or contrivance designed or intended to muffle or stop the sound or report of a firearm to be a prohibited device.
This is just one of the bullshit firearms laws of Canuckistan!

i have a few, yes it has a long lead time to buy one but once you own one there arent really any other headaches to worry about that differ from pistol ownership. When i travel with one i just verify what states are cool with it and which ones arent. Flying with them isnt any different from flying a firearm.

I use suppressors and I am also amazed about the recoil reduction. My only regret is waiting so long so get one. A lot of the shops now have the made the paperwork & process very user friendly compared to the past.
Excellent video as always Philip - Thanks!

I do intend to add one to a .22 for critter extermination in a suburban environment.
As far as for hunting rifles, a good friend of mine has suppressors on most of his hunting rifles. They do cut down the sound and I’ve noticed some recoil reduction when I‘ve shot them, although all are .308 Win and down, so recoil wasn’t much of an issue.
For me, it is the added length (even if only 5”) and weight (even if only 5oz) versus noise reduction. Recoil reduction doesn’t factor in for me. Not that I’m immune to recoil, but unless I’m shooting a .416 and up, the recoil is just part of shooting. I don’t find that I can shoot a .270 better than a .338 Win mag due to less recoil.
At the range, I wear both electronic ear plugs AND muffs, so there is no advantage there. In the field, I have worn a band with ear plugs on the end. However, I often have forgotten to put them in. Since I’ve acquired the electronic plugs, I’ll be wearing them.
Then there is the B.S. associated with giving the Feds $200 per.
Maybe at some time, I’ll change my mind, but for now, not something I’m interested in.

Lets discuss.
Phillip,

re: the 5" model, does it do a good bit of sound suppression as well? typically, bigger IS better with suppressor noise reduction. does the rifle with a 5" suppressor become quiet enough to be ear muff free? thanks.

Can someone explain something that I don’t understand.I have a silencer on my .22 rifle .For it to be silent ,just hear the semi-auto bolt noise ,I use subsonic ammo.High velocity is quieter than normal but still very noisy.How quiet is let’s say a 30.06 out in the field ,I’m to assume that snail pace ammo is not used .

Can someone explain something that I don’t understand.I have a silencer on my .22 rifle .For it to be silent ,just hear the semi-auto bolt noise ,I use subsonic ammo.High velocity is quieter than normal but still very noisy.How quiet is let’s say a 30.06 out in the field ,I’m to assume that snail pace ammo is not used .
I run silencerco harvesters on my hunting rifles--my 7mmRem Mag gets below 130 decibels but for me, the difference is that there are external baffles on the suppressor which reduces felt recoil. My three daughters shoot the 7mag with no ear protection and no aversion to recoil--they all weigh under 125 lbs. The other interesting thing is the lack of response the other animals in the field have to the shot--usually they don't run off like a sonic boom has occurred.

Interesting timing as just this morning I received the call that my second tax stamp had cleared. I'm just returning from picking it up. This is my second Silencerco Omegas. I waited 11 months 18 days.

I recall there being legislation in the process at the federal level and had a good chance of passing- then that guy in Las Vegas shot up that concert, killed and wounded several people. To which HitlerHillary commented essentially "can you imagine how much worse it would have been if he had a silencer?" and that was the end of support for the bill. Sad but that's how government works, from one crisis to the next.

How quiet is let’s say a 30.06 out in the field ,I’m to assume that snail pace ammo is not used .
Not sure on the .30-06, but I can tell you that I've used one with a .308 Win, and after hearing the weapon fire (about 30 dB less than normal), I actually heard the bullet strike the Bache. She ran about 30 meters, but I knew it was a good hit, because I heard the strike.

I have
SilencerCo omega 300
Q Trash Panda
Ecco Machine Acipiter 7.5”
Ecco Machine Valkyrie 7.5”
Form 1 (home made)

all are 30 caliber and if I can hunt with a silencer I do. Decreased reaction from non-targeted animals, hearing protection, hearing the bullet strike etc all outweigh the penalty of length and weight. More companies are pushing into the light weight short hunting suppressor market with 5-6.5” long suppressors. Gunwerks, Q, silencer central, silencerCo etc and many smaller companies are offering shorter silencers that weigh less than 10oz. It’s a one time tax; you get taxed by the government yearly for most personal property so I think that is a poor argument.

any time the bullet breaks the sound barrier you’re still going to hear a crack. The larger the bullet, and the longer the flight time, the bigger the crack. In the woods, there are more things for sound to bounce off, so it seems louder there than in an open field. The big rolling boom most rifles have is largely gone though.

Last edited:
Here is why some here don’t use suppressors.
Section 84(1) of the Criminal Code prescribes any device or contrivance designed or intended to muffle or stop the sound or report of a firearm to be a prohibited device.
This is just one of the bullshit firearms laws of Canuckistan!
This obviously does not apply to a suppressor legally owned with a tax stamp.

The long lead for approval in the US and the headaches of ownership discourage me from bothering with them, but I do like them.
Lead time is now about 4 months. We’ve all waited longer that that for ammo!

I use suppressors and I am also amazed about the recoil reduction. My only regret is waiting so long so get one. A lot of the shops now have the made the paperwork & process very user friendly compared to the past.
Excellent video as always Philip - Thanks!
Thank you!

I do intend to add one to a .22 for critter extermination in a suburban environment.
As far as for hunting rifles, a good friend of mine has suppressors on most of his hunting rifles. They do cut down the sound and I’ve noticed some recoil reduction when I‘ve shot them, although all are .308 Win and down, so recoil wasn’t much of an issue.
For me, it is the added length (even if only 5”) and weight (even if only 5oz) versus noise reduction. Recoil reduction doesn’t factor in for me. Not that I’m immune to recoil, but unless I’m shooting a .416 and up, the recoil is just part of shooting. I don’t find that I can shoot a .270 better than a .338 Win mag due to less recoil.
At the range, I wear both electronic ear plugs AND muffs, so there is no advantage there. In the field, I have worn a band with ear plugs on the end. However, I often have forgotten to put them in. Since I’ve acquired the electronic plugs, I’ll be wearing them.
Then there is the B.S. associated with giving the Feds $200 per.
Maybe at some time, I’ll change my mind, but for now, not something I’m interested in.
I agree with you on recoil while hunting but at the range a suppressor makes us shoot better even in deer calibers.
I am trying to get you to come along to my way of thinking!
Thanks
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg