My First Proper Rifle

Wyatt Smith
Thank you so much for your kind words and support , my young American friend . It is interesting to note that l have exactly the same ammunition as you have showed me in your photograph .
175 grain soft nose cartridges made from the firm , Winchester .
On a related subject , would you happen to know how many re-loads these brass cartridge cases can last ? Four re-loads perhaps ?
There are some far more experienced than I on reloading. But if you set your dies right and the chamber on the rifle is correct you can get several re-loads. I have some 30-06 brass I’ve loaded 8 times. They could probably go some more but I’m conservative. You just have to make the primer pockets are tight and the necks don’t crack.

Last edited:
Dittos on the use of the H-4350 Powder. That powder is very versatile and can be used for many different calibers.

There's lots of good powders out there for reloading. The US ones are obviously best available in USA - and best known to US members.

Congratulations on finally getting a centre fire rifle....nice combination of rifle and calibre :D Beers:
Spike T
Thank you so much for your kind words and support. The real test for it will be this March , for our Chital deer shikar. I will provide the entire report here for this community accordingly.

Has the gunsmith finished mounting the scope? Be sure to show us when it’s done.
Wyatt Smith
Of course , l will provide a photograph to show on this thread , my young American friend . I do apologise for being missing from African Hunting forums for the last few days . This is the most hectic part of the year for a tea planter .

Hello Mr. Kawshik,

My most emphatic congratulations for your new RIFLE and CARTRIDGE!
The 7x57 was my first, and for many years my only, big game rifle. Since 1972. It was, is as I still have and use it, a DWM Original Spòrting rifle, 1893 Mauser Action. A kind of Type C model. It came to my from my great grand father! Still in its original blueing. My second 7x57 is another Mauser action 1935.
I started to reload for the 7x57 around 1974.
To make it short, I agree with the recommendations given to you about the NORMA Oryx 156 grs bullet-cartridge brand. Their cases are one of the best for reloading. Period. Actually I think there are no better options for general big game the kind of sambar deer, wild boar and so. If you will reload and if you can find them, a Hornady Interlock or Interbond in 154 or 162 grs would be another perfect combination. And relatively not too expensive.
Reloading the 7x57 is a pleasure! Very easy to obtain excelent result with almost any medium-medium slow powders. Any of the 4350 would be, to me, one of the very good powders for 150 to 160 grs bullets.
About your rifle, well, I cannot say nothing other than CONGRATULATIONS!! I have two BRNO ZKK of the same configuration and period as yours: A 601 in 308 Win and a 600 in 9,3x62. I am searching for the last 30 years for one exactly like yours, a ZKK 600 in 7x57!! I miss for ONE DAY a beautiful ZG47 in 7mm Mauser....I am still kicking in my head....
My best wishes for you !!

C F

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,