My First Proper Rifle

They dont come much better anywhere than the 7mm Mauser as a first rifle at any age.
Von Gruff
That is most re-assuring . It may not be a bespoke English piece made by John Rigby and Co. as used by Mr. Corbett. However , it appears to be just perfect for me .

That is a fine looking piece. Congrats and let us know ASAP how it shoots.
Newboomer
Thank you so much for your kind words.
I am merely hours away from getting my hands on the cartridges . An up-date shall be made on this thread accordingly.

Congratulations on the new rifle in a classic chambering. For a first proper rifle, you couldn’t have done any better.
Meighsbucks
Thank you so much for your kind words and support. The 7 millimeter mauser calibre is a personal favorite of mine for the last six decades.

Kawshik, do you know what make cartridges and bullet weights the former owner used? There are lots of options available. The iron sights may require some adjusting. Is this rifle drilled and tapped for a scope? What distance do you expect to be shooting at? Looking forward to seeing your targets once the gun is zeroed. Were you able to get any ammo components from the previous owner?
Shootist43
The gentleman showed me an empty box of Federal Power Shok soft nose cartridges , weighing 175 grains .This is what he would use for hunting Chital deer . He suggested that l should use the heavier bullet options for this zkk- 600 bolt operation rifle . It can be equipped with a telescopic sight , yes . I will purchase a telescopic sight made by the firm , Leupold from Ahmed Hossain Arms next week . I expect to shoot this rifle at eighty yards or so , which is the standard distance at which Sambhar deer are shot in Bangladesh . I mainly do all of my rifle-hunting from blinds . The previous owner was unfortunately not a hand-loader . However , l plan to hand- load my own cartridges for this rifle in the long run . Poton can get me a reloading press for free from the Ordinance Factories , as he still has connections there . After l try a variety of factory loaded ammunition from it to gauge which one is giving me the closest performance to perfect , l will then commence to create a hand- load which can emulate that performance.

Congratulations once again!
This is very respectful inventory, all around hunting purpose, by any standard, for any hunter (world wide).

I wish you successful hunting with new rifle!
Mark Hunter
Thank you so much for your kind words and compliment . I really like my new battery now . It covers all of my needs perfectly .

I have one more comment about ammunition: your research has led you to USA made Federal ammunition. I have used quite a lot of Federal 7x57 ammunition, at least enough to form an opinion. It has always been reasonably accurate and dependable for me. But it is underpowered, as is nearly all 7x57 ammunition loaded in the USA. Federal 175 gr. "Blue box" ammunition reaches only 2200 feet per second velocity from my rifle. European factories load the 7x57 to higher pressure / velocity. I already mentioned Norma and RWS, you may also wish to try Sellier & Bellot , a Czech company. Their ammunition is accurate and much more powerful than Winchester, Remington or Federal in my experience. Of course if only hunting small deer at close range it won't matter, but you may appreciate maximum power when hunting larger animals or for farther shots.
LongWalker
I will need all the advice from you which l can get . I would certainly like to use cartridges with adequate power , especially since my intended quarry are Asian Sloth Bears and Sambhar deer , which are roughly as large as what you American gentlemen call " Elk " .
I only picked the Federal Power Shok soft nose cartridges , because they appear to be the only manufacturers of cartridges weighing 175 grains which l could find , during a quick glance on the internet . If you can recommend me a better cartridge , l will do the reasonable thing and pay heed to your well-thought out advice .

Congratulations sir!
Although I have never personally fired the 7x57 cartridge I know it is a fine one.
Your lifelong wait for a proper rifle shows us how fortunate most of us are.
Being able to buy firearms at will with no limits.
Enjoy your purchase and i look forward to the shooting report

I'm not sure how available Norma brand cartridges are to you...
The Norma Oryx bullet is a premium bonded bullet for hunting big game like Sambar Deer/Sloth Bear.
Available in 156 grain 7mm Mauser.
Also, this is probably very close to the same bullet profile that the rifle was sighted in with.

With the friends you have made here at AH, I don't think you will be at a loss for ammo soon.
Cheers and happy hunting.

Congratulations! A fine rifle, I'm sure. I hear some have felt the need (or want?) to improve the trigger on Brno rifles. Some are good from the factory.

Looks as if this particular rifle has a set trigger that you push forward for a very light trigger release.

There are many excellent brands and models of ammunition for 7x57. What you should buy may depend on what exactly is available.

I have one more comment about ammunition: your research has led you to USA made Federal ammunition. I have used quite a lot of Federal 7x57 ammunition, at least enough to form an opinion. It has always been reasonably accurate and dependable for me. But it is underpowered, as is nearly all 7x57 ammunition loaded in the USA. Federal 175 gr. "Blue box" ammunition reaches only 2200 feet per second velocity from my rifle. European factories load the 7x57 to higher pressure / velocity. I already mentioned Norma and RWS, you may also wish to try Sellier & Bellot , a Czech company. Their ammunition is accurate and much more powerful than Winchester, Remington or Federal in my experience. Of course if only hunting small deer at close range it won't matter, but you may appreciate maximum power when hunting larger animals or for farther shots.

Sellier & Belliot 180 Grain 30-06 Worst ammo in the world !! Do not touch it ! I have not tried their 7x57 but my experience with the 30-06 made me swear not to buy anything from them .

Wyatt Smith
Thank you so much for your kind words and support , my young American friend . Are these vintage cartridges ? I was looking at an American ammunition selling internet page called " Mid-Way USA " . They do not have any 7 millimeter mauser cartridges made by the firm , Winchester listed on the page .
Yes they are vintage. I couldn’t tell you how old though. I do a lot of shopping at MidwayUSA it’s my favorite online retailer. I haven’t bought any factory ammunition (I reload) so I couldn’t recommend anything other heavy bullets.

Congratulations the ZZK 600 is a fine rifle, and the 7x57 has been taking game all over the world for over a 100 years. I really enjoy shooting my ruger #1 in 7x57

Congratulations sir!
Although I have never personally fired the 7x57 cartridge I know it is a fine one.
Your lifelong wait for a proper rifle shows us how fortunate most of us are.
Being able to buy firearms at will with no limits.
Enjoy your purchase and i look forward to the shooting report
Wade J VanGinkel
Thank you so much for your kind words and support. You American gentlemen are extremely lucky and l envy you all in a healthy manner . As a consolation to myself , .30-06 Springfield , 20 bore and .45 Automatic Colt Pistol calibre arms and ammunition will be commercially imported into Bangladesh from 2023 onwards .

I'm not sure how available Norma brand cartridges are to you...
The Norma Oryx bullet is a premium bonded bullet for hunting big game like Sambar Deer/Sloth Bear.
Available in 156 grain 7mm Mauser.
Also, this is probably very close to the same bullet profile that the rifle was sighted in with.

With the friends you have made here at AH, I don't think you will be at a loss for ammo soon.
Cheers and happy hunting.
Bee Maa
I can ask my relatives from the United States of America to bring me any ammunition brand which l desire .
Since you gentlemen are more experienced than l with modern munitions , l will pay heed to your advice and ask my relatives to bring me Norma Orynx soft nose cartridges .
Is the 156 grain bullet better than the 175 grain bullet or my time ?

Dittos on the use of the Norma Oryx. Not only are the bullets very effective, their brass is better and can be reloaded more often.
Shootist43
Consider it done . I will specify Fabliha to bring me Norma Orynx soft nose cartridges every time they come to pay me a visit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZaneDenova

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg