My first double and maybe second

EDELWEISS

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US, Canada, Middle East(does that count)
Ive been waiting for too long to buy my first Double Rifle, now Im ready to take the plunge. First off, I accept theres no single rifle/cartridge that will serve for all game in any location. Im tempted by something in 9.3x74R as a compromise that will let me get some practical use with it in the States for Boar and Bear, as well as use in Afrika.

I refuse to be "That Guy", (the one who comes to Afrika with a gun he never hunted with); or worse "Him", (the guy who buys a gun/cartridge he cant handle and then brings it to Afrika shaking all the time just waiting to flinch). I expect my first safari will be limited to plains game. Im not opposed to buffalo; but Im also willing to reserve the bigger stuff for future trips. My ULTIMATE dream are the CATS.

Im open to suggestions, right now Im looking at a Chapius and also a Sabatti. I considered higher end rifles; but thought a lower priced rifle will allow me more trigger time and keep the door open for a second, heavier gun sooner. To that end, Im over loaded with info, from the older NE cartridges that are making a come back, to 500/416, and of course 470, etc.

Again my "plan" is to start with a medium (Im told the 9.3x74R is authorized for dangerous game in Zimbabwe). Once Im comfortable using that on the range and hunting here (Eastern US), then I'll consider the next step is a heavy Double.

Your assistance is appreciated; but please dont tell me I can hunt Eastern Whitetail with a 470. I know "I CAN"; but theres a difference between can and reasonable. Thoughts???

If I was in your position I would look at new AND second hand rifles from Verney-Carron, Chapuis and Merkel in calibres 9.3x74 AND 450/400 WITH QD scope mounts. Both these calibre's are ideal for PG and Cats (be it in the USA or Africa) plus sufficiently handle Buffalo, Hippo and Elephant.

470 for Whitetail? What about Klipspringer??

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I can hunt Eastern Whitetail with a 470. I know "I CAN"; but theres a difference between can and reasonable.

Dead is dead! it doesn't matter if it's done with a 500 Nitro or a 30-30..

Today I spent some time at the range putting the 3rd box of rounds through my sabatti 450/400. I had the stock shortened a bit and put a new pad on but have done no other modifications. I am trying to get the Sworovski z6 EE to zero. My first observation for you is that I love the caliber. It is less perceived recoil than the .416 rigby and a bunch less than my .470 merkel. However it is a bit much for deer and boar. You might be better off going to a 9.3 or 375 if you are trying to cover both continents. My second observation is about sabatti. For right now I am satisfied with it's regulation and consistency. I have heard a lot of people knocking these guns due to the price so I a putting my through the ringer. For me the verdict is still out on this question but all signs are positive at this point.

Good to hear its working out so far. Considering the price, they appear to be a very nice rifle, but beauty is as beauty does. Good luck with!

Im not opposed to two DRs (heck the more the merrier); and I see the virtue of a medium (9.3x74R) and a heavy rifle versus being forced to make one caliber work in all situations. Its not only a matter of economics: but also time. Im very serious about wanting to be proficient with the rifle(s), that I take to the field (especially to Afrika). It seems to my inexperienced view, that the 9.3x74R would get more use in the field and on the range in the US and Afrika.

Ive been looking pretty serious at a 500/416, that I found at a really good price from a shooter who wants to move his heavy hitters. Did I mention good price; but being a 500/416, Im not sure it would get a lot of use.

I suppose Im faced with the same quandary many of you have faced before; Im torn between choosing a single high end ($10K+) double in one caliber (and then what caliber to choose)--or--a mid to low range rifle ($3K to $4K) in 9.3x74R and MAYBE a second heavier gun (again in what caliber). Buying TWO means less funds for ammo to practice AND less time to devote to a single gun. A second gun means a specialty rifle caliber for more limited situations and less time and money to devote to both weapons.

So Im back to wanting both and being confused........

From your other post about your first trip it sounds like you are just getting into the Africa hunting game. That would lead me to say buy the smaller calibre first and work your way up. I agree with you on the 500/416. It looks like a great performer. But you may not want to step right into elephant and buffalo on your first trip. Just some thoughts. I like your buying two idea.

Okay, here are a few grains of knowledge I will share

First, you buy a good reloading outfit if you do not already have one.

Next, just to get your mind and muscle memory working in the same plane, a standard grade Sabatti, $3g new at Cabelas and there is a lot of argument about how they regulate the barrels but for our purposes here it doesn't matter. This is going to be , fundamentally, a pig gun.

I am not sure what part of the Eastern US you are from but right now, with the present drought, in South Texas you can knock on doors in the country and people will literally cook dinner for you while you shoot hogs off their place.

Get my point here, new type of weapon , a double, heavier round, 9.3 x 74R and lots of real, live shooting at real live targets

Now, grasshopper, once we have become proficient therein, you may select from column B
a Merk
a K - gun
a champ
or Searcy PH
and do this in a respectable, common caliber, 450 NE, 450/400, 470 NE

Once you get past 500 the thing requires wheels and a load permit so forgetaboutit

And no, you cannot have a Holland or a Purdy because you do not have enough money, quite frankly neither does God or the Queen for something like that, but that is for another discussion thread.

As you move through this process, please keep in mind, the double was not ever meant for punching neat round holes in pieces of paper it was meant to dispatch nasties. It is not a deer rifle, it is not a squirrel gun and it is not a target rifle; It is rather a component in a well oiled finely tuned killing machine of which you are an integral part.

So take up the task, go out there and have some fun and remember to be safe and please don't embarrass me, that is my daughter's job.

Jim

I made the leap today and picked up a Sabatti 9.3x74R at Cabella's. Then I bought the last four boxes of ammo they had (2 Hornady and 2 Norma).

I was tempted by a 450-400, 500/416, and a 500NE they had. I think the 450-400 was another Sabatti, the 500/416 was a Blazer. The 500NE was either a Blazer or a Merkle. Obviously they were more expensive as was the ammo.

Im in Maryland. A buddy and I have a Boar hunt in the planning for November, so I suspect the 9.3 will get some work. We are also looking to go to Afrika in 2012 for a Plains game and Leopard hunt. So again the 9.3 seems appropriate.

Its absolutely appropriate! Great round, Have fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross