yarettlopez

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
MEXICO, SOUTH AFRICA
I was finally able to buy a rifle in a caliber suitable for dangerous hunting, it is an M70 .458 win mag but it is not CRF and the rifle needs some love but it is an interesting project.

I know that many are not in favor of a post 64 M70 but in my country (Mexico) it is simply impossible to get a new DG weapon. there is only one government store for 120 million people it is ridiculous, and they only offer commercial calibers so obtaining rifles and cartridges is almost impossible.

In the last year I have only seen 3 rifles, a CZ.458 WM which lasted 3 min for sale, a .460 weatherby that nobody seems to want hahaha and this Winchester that I managed to buy along with 6 boxes of ammunition, I know it is not ideal but it is what I have, I think that with a lot of practice and time I will be able to manage it properly and I hope to be able to make it work reliably, this year I hope to be able to try it with a lion hunt in my first safari

I love my new rifle but what do you think? is it worth keeping? is it too dangerous to use push feed?

thanks for your opinions

8f2fed78-1961-40b7-bfe3-33ba980aaa3e.jpg
025ae227-212b-4b28-bd39-c9cc12a8d27e.jpg
769c640b-98ef-4084-949a-8e8128b9970d.jpg

Nice.

I like my .458WM.

Then again I prefer 4x4, mid size and crew cab pick up trucks with standard/manual transmission.

Congrats on the new add!!

Clean it up and learn to cycle it well (all the way back until it stops, and all the way forward). It should do just fine. Biggest thing to avoid is short stroking the bolt. Do lots of dry fire practice.

I still can’t wrap my head around the one and only gun store. I knew about it from talking to Mexicans before, but even years later it still blows my mind.

We in the USA are spoiled due to the Second Amendment to our Constitution! For us American gun enthusiasts, want surpasses need.

For Yarett, any M70 is a great rifle. CRF is better for dangerous game but plenty of mean animals have been slayed by push feed rifles. In Africa, you will have a PH to back you up. Make the first shot count just in case...

The 458 Winchester is a great cartridge with today's loads. If you can shoot your rifle and ammo through a chronograph all the better. A proper 500 or grain bullet at 2100 to 2150 fps is wicked in the hands of a confident marksman!

Clean it up and learn to cycle it well (all the way back until it stops, and all the way forward). It should do just fine. Biggest thing to avoid is short stroking the bolt. Do lots of dry fire practice.

I still can’t wrap my head around the one and only gun store. I knew about it from talking to Mexicans before, but even years later it still blows my mind.

And the problem is not that there is only one store, the problem is that you have to gather tons of paperwork, anti-doping, psychological studies, proof of income, etc. and then wait 6-8 months for them to approve your permit and with your permission you can buy up to 3 weapons in different calibers and if the caliber you wanted is not in stock, you cannot buy another one, and if you want to buy another 3 weapons you have to wait 6 months for the last permit and start over.

that's why in Mexico used guns are more expensive than new ones, for example a glock in .380 (we can't have 9mm) used costs between $2500 and $3000 usd dollars because nobody wants to do all the paperwork and another thing if you want to sell your weapon you have to wait a year.

all this is to discourage people from not having weapons, but it takes much more than that to stop us. How lucky are you in other countries that do not value your rights

We in the USA are spoiled due to the Second Amendment to our Constitution! For us American gun enthusiasts, want surpasses need.

For Yarett, any M70 is a great rifle. CRF is better for dangerous game but plenty of mean animals have been slayed by push feed rifles. In Africa, you will have a PH to back you up. Make the first shot count just in case...

The 458 Winchester is a great cartridge with today's loads. If you can shoot your rifle and ammo through a chronograph all the better. A proper 500 or grain bullet at 2100 to 2150 fps is wicked in the hands of a confident marksman!

You guys are very lucky, and so am I to find this rifle since there aren't many out there in Mexico. this rifle has already hunted elephant, buffalo and hippo so I'm sure it will be up to the task, I just need a lot of practice already ordered some snap caps to start practicing

Wow! I never knew that hunting rifles were so constrained like that in Mexico. So with that in mind, yes you have a very fine rifle and make the most of it. keep in mind that most African Safari outfits can provide you with a DG crf firearm if you're not completely confident on your push feed, but i see no real concern with it with lots of practice.

Wow! I never knew that hunting rifles were so constrained like that in Mexico. So with that in mind, yes you have a very fine rifle and make the most of it. keep in mind that most African Safari outfits can provide you with a DG crf firearm if you're not completely confident on your push feed, but i see no real concern with it with lots of practice.

I think I feel more confident with a push feed rifle that I know of than a CRF that I have never shot.

Congrats on your rifle and ammo! Also do not worry about effectiveness, it will do the job.
YOU PUT THE BULLET IN THE RIGHT PLACE AND YOUR GAME IS DOWN.

I like the recoil pad! Cushy!
Look at my recoil pad:
52608_600x400.jpg

My 45-90 is a little les potent than a .458 Win Mg, but still took ele, cape buff, leopard , etc. with 450 grain North Forks at 2150 fps.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yarettlopez, with very little work, you can clean up the outside metal surfaces of this rifle. I recommend using 0000 Steel Wool which is generally available at a hardware store and a good rust penetrant like KROIL. This will remove any and all surface rust if present. How is the bore? Are you going to put a scope on it? If so what kind?

As long as you keep a push feed relatively upright and don't short stroke it i.e. not pulling the bolt all the way to the rear and or pushing it all the way shut you will be just fine with this rifle. Do you have access to additional ammo in Mexico? If not a stock item, can it be ordered?

I spent close to three years working in Mexico and really enjoyed shooting Metallic Silhouettes with both a pistol and a rifle.

Yarettlopez, with very little work, you can clean up the outside metal surfaces of this rifle. I recommend using 0000 Steel Wool which is generally available at a hardware store and a good rust penetrant like KROIL. This will remove any and all surface rust if present. How is the bore? Are you going to put a scope on it? If so what kind?

As long as you keep a push feed relatively upright and don't short stroke it i.e. not pulling the bolt all the way to the rear and or pushing it all the way shut you will be just fine with this rifle. Do you have access to additional ammo in Mexico? If not a stock item, can it be ordered?

I spent close to three years working in Mexico and really enjoyed shooting Metallic Silhouettes with both a pistol and a rifle.

Thanks for the tip but if it doesn't work I'll do a complete rebluing, I don't think I'll use a scope at the moment I like it classic like that with open sights.

Very rarely do the government store carry these calibers, but you can get them if you are willing to pay 2-3 times the US price.

Congrats Yarett to your bolt action, it is a fine weapon and it serves me well too. They are reliable even when dropped in mudd. I would practice regularly and do trials aiming silently. If you are in a hide you might wait long before aiming. I would recommend to train with the safety mechanism. You have a good amount of trophy bonded, use that for practice shots and zeroing in and keep the soft points for when you need them. As shootist43 recommended, do a thorough cleaning. Happy hunting!

I think that rifle will be fine! As others have said, practice. A lot of practice can be done without ammo. Familiarize yourself with the rifle, if you can get some snap caps they will help you practice using your rifle.

Thank you very much for your advice, I am very happy with my purchase and I am sure that it will work reliably

Congrats on your rifle. Enjoy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg