My first 375!

Milehighshooter

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
My first real medium bore rifle!

A member on another board had asked how hard/expensive it would be to convert a Mod 70 from 375 to 7mm. Only because he could get the 375 at a SCREAMING deal for any M70 Classic, let alone a 375. He was entually convinced it would be easier to just buy a 300 Win. I offered to trade him a 300 Wby, but instead he just told me where the gun was. Cabelas!! A phone call had it heading to my local Cabelas, and I picked it up last week.

Bought as is, I didn't put the brake on

M70 Classic SM 375 H&H

Attachments

• 20180120_205440.jpg
    20180120_205440.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 189
  • 20171219_191313.jpg
    20171219_191313.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 174
  • 20180120_205432.jpg
    20180120_205432.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 176
  • 20180120_205459.jpg
    20180120_205459.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 196
  • 20171219_191342 (1).jpg
    20171219_191342 (1).jpg
    72 KB · Views: 136
Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a nice project. You should leave the threads on the barrel so you have the option of using a suppressor. Are you going to refinish it?

Milehighshooter, I think I'd take that rifle to the range and see how she does. You can get a Decible Reading app for your smart phone and see what the difference is between the muzzle brake being on or off. I have a 35 Whelen with a muzzle brake and the extra noise never gets past my hearing protection. Besides that way you won't have to remove the front sight. Both rifles that I took to Africa had 25" barrels, neither were any trouble at all.

Like your plan, would use a nice english walnut fit to you.

Keep us posted on what you do with it!

Like your plan, would use a nice english walnut fit to you.

No walnut on this one. I was looking for a heavy hitter for bad weather, lucked into this.

I have a 404 in progress (mag mauser) , and will be sending a Husky FN 98 to be a 9.3x62 once I get my 275 Rigby back from the smith. THOSE 3, are getting walnut.

Although I am tempted....I have 4 nice stocks from Winchester's custom shop unfinished waiting for the right guns.

Milehighshooter, I think I'd take that rifle to the range and see how she does. You can get a Decible Reading app for your smart phone and see what the difference is between the muzzle brake being on or off. I have a 35 Whelen with a muzzle brake and the extra noise never gets past my hearing protection. Besides that way you won't have to remove the front sight. Both rifles that I took to Africa had 25" barrels, neither were any trouble at all.

I will shoot as is first, if for anything, I'm excited! I've got 2 boxes of Rem factory ammo I've been sitting on for a while. We'll see about keeping it that way.

My plans are to upgrade the stock, remove the brake and cut another inch off the barrel, should end up 22-22.5" It'll be staying in a synthetic stock, just not a crappy factory stock

this is a fantastic plan! you will love the 375 and before you know it you will be looking for something bigger.

as for possibly keeping the muzzle brake... take off your hearing protection and have someone else fire the gun next to you. if it doesn't deafen you then its fine but otherwise take it off. we need to remember our PH's and trackers are with us on a hunt and they wont be wearing hearing protection.

-matt

My reason for having a muzzle brake on the 35 Whelen is because I have a broken collar bone since 1971. I pay for using any large caliber firearm i.e. 12 Ga.,30-06 and up. My PH and tracker chose not use hearing protection even though it was offered. They simply put a finger solidly over each ear when I shot. There is more than one way to skin a cat. We all know that being around a larger caliber when it is fired requires hearing protection. At the range I use NRR 33 foam plugs and a muff if possible. While hunting I use just the cheap foam plugs with a plastic chord between them.

I will shoot as is first, if for anything, I'm excited! I've got 2 boxes of Rem factory ammo I've been sitting on for a while. We'll see about keeping it that way.

I bought a NIB Winchester 70 Safari Express in December. I have shot it a few times now with both Remington factory Core Lokt and my hand loads. I bought the Core Lokt because it was what they had in stock at my LGS. The Remington factory ammo is incredibly bad. It patterns like a shotgun in my rifle with 100 yard groups that are 8" or so. In contrast, my first attempt at hand loads easily patterned 2.5". Both shot off a bench rest.

I say this so you won't be discouraged if the rifle doesn't shoot well with the Remington ammo.

as for possibly keeping the muzzle brake... take off your hearing protection and have someone else fire the gun next to you. if it doesn't deafen you then its fine but otherwise take it off. we need to remember our PH's and trackers are with us on a hunt and they wont be wearing hearing protection.
I'd have my buddy take off his hearing protection and let me shoot. If he is rolling on the ground grasping his ears, take it off.
upload_2018-1-27_10-10-30.png

I have a brake on my 375. It really helps with follow up shots and testing loads from a bench.
Sounds like your about to have a number of fine rifles in some great calibers!
Enjoy!

this is a fantastic plan! you will love the 375 and before you know it you will be looking for something bigger.

-matt

Exactly! The recoil won't cause the flinches if you pad up and take precautions at the bench. If you shoot enough with that brake eventually the muzzle blast you feel each time you pull the trigger will certainly cause the flinches with or without hearing protection.... not to mention the hearing damage done to anyone next to you.

Milehighshooter, did you see Girt Odendaal's post about 404 LW barrels? If not look it up. Something about them being .418" not .423" and special bullets being required.

S43,,

I'll check that out, but mine was ordered at .423 and I'm pretty sure I mic'd it out at that. Its been a while since I've really looked at it. Of course its with the smith now so I can't check. My barrel wasn't one of the pre-fit barrels they offer

Gert's post was relatively recent, within the past 2-3 weeks. I asked if it was a simple of someone measuring the lands while the other measurement was for the grooves but don't recall getting an answer. A friend of his was making special bullets for the LW barrels. Good Luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imogen6571

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois