AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Lifetime NRA member, Lifetime SCI Member
All, I’ve always wanted a 404 Jeffery and now I can say I own one. I have zero experience with big bore rifles so this is uncharted territory for me. The rifle is a Montana Rifle Company AVR. I’m having a thread protector made so I can remove the muzzle device. Also there is a RSM 416 Rigby coming...
Here are a few pics of the Jeffery.

C1A8D1F5-08C3-40A8-AC6C-D6A6D1FFCB10.jpeg

F35C418E-95B5-4F9E-BFD1-703442E78BE4.jpeg

EC5E97F4-9BBC-4F27-AA67-BF3FA4DA5890.jpeg
Im not a fan of the stain of the stock, would like to go darker if anyone can give me advice on this.

John Gallagher is a top notch gunsmith in Jasper. I have used him to refinish a .404J RSM in early 2017 and he did a fantastic job. The rifle was originally a RSM .375 HH which the original owner converted to a .404J. After I acquired the rifle in late 2016 and had John completely refinish the metal, sights, barrel ring and pad. The previous owner and I had different tastes. I left the wood finish as original. I,m sure he can take that shiny finish off. I haven't had contact with him in about 2-3 years. PM me for his phone number.

.404 target.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
With a new 404 J and a 416 Rigby on the way, may I suggest your next purchase should be a Lead Sled if you don't already own one. :W A Rifle:

John Gallagher is a top notch gunsmith in Jasper. I have used him to refinish a .404J RSM in early 2017 and he did a fantastic job. The rifle was originally a RSM .375 HH which the original owner converted to a .404J. After I acquired the rifle in late 2016 and had John completely refinish the metal, sights, barrel ring and pad. The previous owner and I had different tastes. I left the wood finish as original. I,m sure he can take that shiny finish off. I haven't had contact with him in about 2-3 years. PM me for his phone number.

I know John and am familiar with his work. He is/was doing some custom long range rifles but recently I’ve heard he is not doing well “cancer”. I do not know any specifics but I will reach out to him.
Your 404 is very pretty with a nice group to boot!

I know John and am familiar with his work. He is/was doing some custom long range rifles but recently I’ve heard he is not doing well “cancer”. I do not know any specifics but I will reach out to him.
Your 404 is very pretty with a nice group to boot!
That is terrible news if John has cancer. He may or may not remember me, but tell him I said hello and good luck with his cancer fight.

Hi David—if u get tired of Arkansas— my range is open whenever I unlock the gate

Congrats on the new rifle.

John Gallagher passed away in April.

Hi David—if u get tired of Arkansas— my range is open whenever I unlock the gate
I am a member of a great range about 7 or so miles away. Its been so damn hot for the past couple of weeks, its been too hot for me to head out. Started getting some rain today. Hopefully can get out there next week. Thanks for the invitation though. You never know when I'll call and tell you I'm on the way!

Andrew, congrats on the new 404. Have you made up your mind what you are going to feed it? Providing you reload try 84 Gr. of H 4350 pushing a 400 Gr. Swift A Frame. That load has proven itself in a bunch of different rifles. Both of my 404(s) shoot under an inch with it.

Congrats on the new additions!

Andrew, congrats on the new 404. Have you made up your mind what you are going to feed it? Providing you reload try 84 Gr. of H 4350 pushing a 400 Gr. Swift A Frame. That load has proven itself in a bunch of different rifles. Both of my 404(s) shoot under an inch with it.

I do reload and am looking forward to working up some loads. I had to buy the dies and shell holder.

I’ve read good things regarding the swift a frame. There are a couple good threads on here regarding that good hand loads.

I’m going to go through a few boxes of Hornady just to get acquainted with the rifle.

When reloading be very careful not to push shoulder back
I had that unfortunate experance with Hornady dies set just a few thousands to deep..
Result light primer strike or missfire

When reloading be very careful not to push shoulder back
I had that unfortunate experance with Hornady dies set just a few thousands to deep..
Result light primer strike or missfire

Is this a result of seating depth or the die? Could this be avoided with RCBS or other brand die?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross