Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Outdoor Tomorrow Foundation,NRA, Life Member DSC
Hunted
Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Namibia, South Africa, Spain, Tanzania, and now Tajikistan

This is new to me.(y)

Never knew this either! Interesting study. The guy talks about 150 mile trecks and I always thought deer stayed within two or three miles of their range.

Amazing critters! I love Mule Deer... And hunting them :)

Never knew this either! Interesting study. The guy talks about 150 mile trecks and I always thought deer stayed within two or three miles of their range.
Generally true of whitetail deer for sure. Although here in Idaho there are areas where the whitetails have to migrate further, maybe up to 10 miles, to get to survivable winter range. Definitely the exception rather than the rule.
The mule deer are a different story. We have numerous mule deer herds that migrate 40 - 50 miles or more between summer and winter range.
This migration described in the video is pretty amazing! Makes you wonder why? Why are these deer in a perpetual state of motion, migrating through regions with "resident" deer who have different summer and winter ranges?
Very, very interesting...

Very interesting video. I noticed Pinedale, Wyoming is right in the middle of the migration route. Assuming I draw a tag in 2018, I'll be doing a moose hunt in that area. Pinedale's elevation is 7125 ft and I'm guessing the Wind River Range is a considerably higher. I see the mule deer are smart and stick to the flatter areas and lower elevations to migrate.

upload_2017-5-1_7-3-41.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandadelhiaerocity

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.