Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Outdoor Tomorrow Foundation,NRA, Life Member DSC
Hunted
Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Namibia, South Africa, Spain, Tanzania, and now Tajikistan

This is new to me.(y)

Never knew this either! Interesting study. The guy talks about 150 mile trecks and I always thought deer stayed within two or three miles of their range.

Amazing critters! I love Mule Deer... And hunting them :)

Never knew this either! Interesting study. The guy talks about 150 mile trecks and I always thought deer stayed within two or three miles of their range.
Generally true of whitetail deer for sure. Although here in Idaho there are areas where the whitetails have to migrate further, maybe up to 10 miles, to get to survivable winter range. Definitely the exception rather than the rule.
The mule deer are a different story. We have numerous mule deer herds that migrate 40 - 50 miles or more between summer and winter range.
This migration described in the video is pretty amazing! Makes you wonder why? Why are these deer in a perpetual state of motion, migrating through regions with "resident" deer who have different summer and winter ranges?
Very, very interesting...

Very interesting video. I noticed Pinedale, Wyoming is right in the middle of the migration route. Assuming I draw a tag in 2018, I'll be doing a moose hunt in that area. Pinedale's elevation is 7125 ft and I'm guessing the Wind River Range is a considerably higher. I see the mule deer are smart and stick to the flatter areas and lower elevations to migrate.

upload_2017-5-1_7-3-41.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.