Most Coveted Dangerous Game Calibers

Is 9.3x74R really a good choice for leopard? I was under the impression fast calibers were a better choice but have no experience, only cats I ever hunted were feral domestic ones.
So anybody backing up on leopard or lion with any of the NE calibers are wrong?

Leopard on the charge are shot at feet, most important is a solid hit, the 9.3 x 74R allows you two very quick well placed shots because it is light, easy to handle and very effective. Much underrated cartridge, killed many DG including elephant.

Speed kills on the highway especially if you are on a superbike....

So anybody backing up on leopard or lion with any of the NE calibers are wrong?

Leopard on the charge are shot at feet, most important is a solid hit, the 9.3 x 74R allows you two very quick well placed shots because it is light, easy to handle and very effective. Much underrated cartridge, killed many DG including elephant.

Like I said, I’ve got no experience with large, dangerous cats, I’m asking, not commenting.

I’m actually a big fan of 9.3x74R and do most of my hunting with a DR so chambered.

Speed kills on the highway especially if you are on a superbike....

No, it doesn’t, it’s the sudden stopping that does.

I have enjoyed reading about grown men "jonesing" for DG caliber rifles. I have heard of all theses calibers, most since I was a child: 416 Rigby, 450/400 NE, 404 Jeffry, 458 Lott, 505 Gibbs. There are also the many American dangerous game calibers, and I am sure many others. Of course I find the British calibers more romantic. I ask here: what is the most coveted / rarest caliber. Not necessarily the most coveted rifle, but caliber. Of course it might not be possible to separate the two. This is not a poll. I am just trying to better understand these magical calibers.
470 NE

Is 9.3x74R really a good choice for leopard? I was under the impression fast calibers were a better choice but have no experience, only cats I ever hunted were feral domestic ones.

I am having Heym build me a 9.3x74R specifically for a leopard hunt this year. Crossing fingers that it will arrive on time as promised. My PH is fine with that caliber for leopard and bait.

I am having Heym build me a 9.3x74R specifically for a leopard hunt this year. Crossing fingers that it will arrive on time as promised. My PH is fine with that caliber for leopard and bait.

Insteresting, I need me a Leopard hunt so.

So far I only own two 9.3x62's. One is a 98 mauser, and the other is a sauer. I own a interarms mark x in 416 taylor improved, and a ruger #1 in 416 remington magnum.

I hear A LOT of people on here saying that .460 WBY is the best safari caliber ever made! Especially with a muzzle break
The problem with it, is people get it, set it up in a lead a sled. Then they get out in the field, scared to death of it, and make bad shots. All the while, they could got a .375 H&H/Ruger, and been just fine.

I have a Lott and love it.

That said, it's way too young to be considered a classic must have for nostalgia sake caliber.

It's like arguing that a 375 Ruger is better than a .375 H&H. A Ruger is inferior simply because it isn't an H&H . :)
The H&H is inferior to the Ruger. Because the Ruger matches it (and exceeds in some cases) in shorter barrels. Ran with a 24" or 26", the Ruger will exceed the .375 Wby, and actually inches close to the .375 RUM.

Yes the H&H has been going 99 years, and has a phenomenal track record in Africa and every where else. But the Ruger is in no way, inferior. I wouldn't care to say it's the greatest .375 in existence.

The problem with it, is people get it, set it up in a lead a sled. Then they get out in the field, scared to death of it, and make bad shots. All the while, they could got a .375 H&H/Ruger, and been just fine.
I submit that if one does not practice with it even a .375 H&H will be too much. There are people that put a muzzle break on a .308. :ROFLMAO:

In this case, DR stands for Double Rat Caliber. Lol!

Well, I sure would not have used the .500 NE for leopard. Especially from the blind while sitting down, would have hurt at both ends for sure.
Leopards are just slightly larger than rats, so the 9.3 will be pushing it unless it's a head shot and good bullet tech is employed. Just ask @michael458 .

I have enjoyed reading about grown men "jonesing" for DG caliber rifles. I have heard of all theses calibers, most since I was a child: 416 Rigby, 450/400 NE, 404 Jeffry, 458 Lott, 505 Gibbs. There are also the many American dangerous game calibers, and I am sure many others. Of course I find the British calibers more romantic. I ask here: what is the most coveted / rarest caliber. Not necessarily the most coveted rifle, but caliber. Of course it might not be possible to separate the two. This is not a poll. I am just trying to better understand these magical calibers.
My favorite gun is a Chapuis 450-400 DR. I bought it for the old Africa heritage given it was a beloved caliber of the famous Jim Corbet. I have not been disappointed. I also own pretty much all the popular calipers in bolt actions but none gives me the pleasure of my DR

The following list represents the dangerous game caliber rifles I presently own, The asterisks mark the calibers I have actually taken dangerous game with.

.318 WR FN Mauser
8X68 Mauser 66
.338 WM Winchester Model 70
.350 Newton 1916 Newton
.358 Norma Magnum Ruger 77
9.3X62 Oberndorf DSB Mauser sporter
9.3X64 Oberndorf sporter
9.3X74R Krieghoff Ulm DR
.375 H&H Krieghoff Teck DR/ Winchester Model 70 *
.450/.400 Farquharson
.404 Jeffery Oberndorf SSB Magnum action Mauser custom
.416 Rigby Oberndorf SSB Magnum action Mauser custom
.425 WR Winchester Model 70
.458 WM Krieghoff Teck DR *
.450 Watts BRNO ZKK 602
.450 C&W Krieghorff Teck DR
.505 SRE P14 Enfield action custom *
.505 Gibbs Granite Mountain Mauser action custom
.500 NE Krieghoff Teck DR

Under ideal conditions I would be willing to attempt to take dangerous game with any of them, but in less than ideal situations I would prefer caliber .450 and up.
I once experimented with a bolt action .577 in a 12 pound bolt rifle, but discovered that although the recoil was not objectionable, I was forced to step backwards two paces after each shot. I had encountered situations in Africa where that would not be possible, so I abandoned that caliber.

Anticipating questions that may arise with regard to the three wildcat cartridges in my list, the .450 C&W, the .505 SRE and the .577 VSRE, I am adding a photo of all three, plus a photo of my .505 SRE rifle.

These cartridges were developed in the late 1960's and early 1970's, when ammunition for classic British big game cartridges seemed to be a thing of the past. The .450 C&W is simply a rimmed version of the .450 Watts, made from .375 H&H rimmed brass. I thought if it as a way to duplicate the .450 NE with modern powders and pressure suitable for a double rifle. It is the cartridge on the left.

The cartridge in the middle was made with the idea of duplicating the .505 Gibbs performance, but this plan was stymied by the fact that the Gibbs is a propriatary cartridge and bullets were not available, so I ended up duplicating the performance of the .500 NE with it. I used 570 grain .500 NE bullets with it. The cartridge case is simply a .460 Weatherby case shortened to 2.500" and necked to accept the .505 bullets.

The cartridge on the right is the .577 VSRE cartridge I mentioned in the text. The case was formed from .577 NE brass, shortened to 2.500", with the rim removed and an extractor groove cut in the base. It easily duplicated .577 NE ballistics, and I consideered it a success, except for the irresistable push produced by the recoil, so it found a new home.

The bullet in front is a Kynoch 570 grain .510" FMJ bullet for the .500 NE, which performed equally as well in the .505 SRE.

The rifle pictured is my .505 SRE, which has accounted for one rhino, three elephants and five buffalo. I consider it a success in every way.

9.3X64 001 (2).jpg
9.3X64 004 (2).jpg

What constitutes an adequate DG performance? What combo of bullet diameter, weight, composition,energy, velocity, and sectional density? What’s the minimum for Cape and Elephant?

What constitutes an adequate DG performance? What combo of bullet diameter, weight, composition,energy, velocity, and sectional density? What’s the minimum for Cape and Elephant?
In most countries .375 caliber or 9.3mm is the minimum for DG. There can also be other requirements like a specific energy level for a given species. You need to research where exactly you are hunting, what animals are on your list and what the laws there are. You PH will also be a big help with this.

I don't believe there is a specific law on sectional density, but keeping it above .300 is best. Cape Buffalo use a premium soft from the like Swift A-Frame, Federal TBBC, Barnes TSX or Norma Oryx. Elephant hunting is mostly solids with a flat meplat like those from CEB or a Woodleigh Hydro.

Of course bigger is (almost) always better, take the largest caliber you shoot well. For some it's the 375H&H, others can handle the .500 calibers and above with no problems. Lots of good choices out there. But you are the one pulling the trigger and writing the check...do your homework and practice A LOT with whichever boomstick you plan on taking.

Last edited:

Of course bigger is (almost) always better, take the largest caliber you shoot well. For some it's the 375H&H, others can handle the .500 calibers and above with no problems. Lots of good choices out there. But you are the one pulling the trigger and writing the check...do your homework and practice A LOT with whichever boomstick you plan on taking.

What he said. I'd go for the maximum one could handle rather than the minimum required by law.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross