Most Coveted Dangerous Game Calibers

I sometimes wonder what would have happened if the ever-ban-happy British government had not banned the .450 NE in India (especially) and Sudan barely 9 years after the cartridge's introduction. To me the .450 has all the advantages of any nitro express cartridges and none of the disadvantages--straight walled case, super-commonly available bullets, low pressure, loading flexibility, etc.

The .450 BPE was possibly THE most common double gun cartridge at the tail end of the 1800s--surely not for dangerous game, but certainly for any kind of soft-skinned animals anywhere in the world. Thus, the .450 NE (1898 vintage, IIRC), would have followed suit, were it not for the ban that gave rise to the various .460-470 class cartridges, which essentially duplicated its ballistics while getting around the ban.

Today, the .450 NE is an extremely efficient round with modern powders, probably more so than the various bottle-necked cartridges designed for cordite. If I had to have a rifle custom-made, it would be in this caliber. Luckily, though, I have enough vintage pieces not to require that--..318 WR, 375 H&H (flanged and non), .450-400, .470 and .500 NE.

Just to shake it all up, from a Handgun Hunters perspective, .500LINEBAUGH, .475LINEBAUGH, and the .454CASULL.
these are for multi shot handguns.
You can get pretty much ANY caliber in a Single Shot, but a Big Bore Revolver with a Punch bullet is extremely effective, and you can get quick follow up shots.

The following list represents the dangerous game caliber rifles I presently own, The asterisks mark the calibers I have actually taken dangerous game with.

.318 WR FN Mauser
8X68 Mauser 66
.338 WM Winchester Model 70
.350 Newton 1916 Newton
.358 Norma Magnum Ruger 77
9.3X62 Oberndorf DSB Mauser sporter
9.3X64 Oberndorf sporter
9.3X74R Krieghoff Ulm DR
.375 H&H Krieghoff Teck DR/ Winchester Model 70 *
.450/.400 Farquharson
.404 Jeffery Oberndorf SSB Magnum action Mauser custom
.416 Rigby Oberndorf SSB Magnum action Mauser custom
.425 WR Winchester Model 70
.458 WM Krieghoff Teck DR *
.450 Watts BRNO ZKK 602
.450 C&W Krieghorff Teck DR
.505 SRE P14 Enfield action custom *
.505 Gibbs Granite Mountain Mauser action custom
.500 NE Krieghoff Teck DR

Under ideal conditions I would be willing to attempt to take dangerous game with any of them, but in less than ideal situations I would prefer caliber .450 and up.
I once experimented with a bolt action .577 in a 12 pound bolt rifle, but discovered that although the recoil was not objectionable, I was forced to step backwards two paces after each shot. I had encountered situations in Africa where that would not be possible, so I abandoned that caliber.
No .465 H and H? What's a matter with you! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!