Most Coveted Dangerous Game Calibers

I have to go with the 404J. Don't have one but I have this gnawing, nagging fascination with the caliber. I have a 375HH and the 404J seems so close that it is hard to justify it. But who needs justification when it comes to such a round? Someday, someday.

After reading all of the support for the 404 Jeffery one of two things is assured, either that caliber is as good as everyone says it is, or 404 Jeffery owners are more vociferous than others. BUT..... and there is always a but it could be both. Perhaps that is why I have two of them.

After reading all of the support for the 404 Jeffery one of two things is assured, either that caliber is as good as everyone says it is, or 404 Jeffery owners are more vociferous than others. BUT..... and there is always a but it could be both. Perhaps that is why I have two of them.
Well that's not fair so I think that the horrible guilt you are feeling should drive you to sell one of them to me! Just think how much better you will feel. Lol

I have a Lott and love it.

That said, it's way too young to be considered a classic must have for nostalgia sake caliber.

It's like arguing that a 375 Ruger is better than a .375 H&H. A Ruger is inferior simply because it isn't an H&H . :)
Ouch on the Ruger comment. Some of us here love it;)

I’m still trying to weasel my way into a .375, be it a H&H or a Ruger.
If your not concerned about the bullet “availability “ in Africa for the Ruger 375 I as well as several other members here love ours.

If your not concerned about the bullet “availability “ in Africa for the Ruger 375 I as well as several other members here love ours.

I’ve currently got a bead on one, but I’m poor young man trying to coordinate a few other pieces to get it done. We’ll see how these next couple of weeks work out.

I hear A LOT of people on here saying that .460 WBY is the best safari caliber ever made! Especially with a muzzle break

I don't know if it's. A lot of people, but there are some and I have never met anyone who could control their nervous piss bag from going off when they unleashed one of these mad dogs on something that wanted to kill them and stopped it dead in their tracks ever drop the bad mouth on it.

I have shot quite a few very dangerous animals with it I am happy to report that nothing ever needed a second shot to anchor it though my boyish zeal and desire for blood has gotten the better of me and a second has left the barrel by my blood thirsty nature and subconscious desire to double tap everything. And the big plus is that when a man is truly into the task at hand he never feels the recoil like a boxer in the ring or the players on the football field never hears the crowd.

I do not own a Ruger #1 for a good reason. If I got one I would not stop. There is a #1 in 35 Whelen I am ignoring currently. I am waiting for it to go away.

Will not happen,....

DSC02571.JPG

Will not happen,....
I just looked and the 35 is still listed. There are also number 1s in 9.3x74r, 6 mm Remington, and 204 Ruger. The rifles in 280 Remington and 25-06 must have sold because they are no longer listed. Thankfully they are gone, but others will certainly take their place. These are the real "dangerous game rifles." I must always be vigilant, least they will have me for sure.

I just looked and the 35 is still listed.

There are also number 1s in 9.3x74r,.... these are the real "dangerous game rifles."

I must always be vigilant, least they will have me for sure.

I would fall victim to the 9,3x74R......

:sneaky:

HWL

..this .35 Whelen wants you, :K Date:....no way out!

HWL

HWL, I really do not laugh that much these days. I do smile and chuckle I believe at least some each day. But that made me bust out. So, LOL. You are right. Right now however my son and I are planning for DIY spring bear and fall elk/deer in Idaho. This is our first time going west and let me tell you the gear we need is a major investment. I don't think I will buy another gun until after these hunts. So, Miss Whelen will just have to wait. Otherwise, I would be powerless against her charms.

I'm going to call it a tie between the 404J and the 450/400 Nitro Express...

Have the latter and jonesing for the former! ;)

The 450 NE 3 1/4 ought to get more love than it does, I think.

Then there are the 450 and 475 NE No 2 cartridges that are so cool because they are so large!
I have to agree with you on this one Tarbe. You have amazing taste in DG caliber for a guy that has horrible taste in 30 cal.
I’d have to add 470 NE to the list though.

Also throw in the 9.3x74 rimmed. It was an extremely popular caliber in the German colonies and is way underrated. Lord knows I love my 375 H&H at that caliber is just so iconic but the 9.3x74R will do absolutely everything the 375 will.
My 9.3 and I have become best buddies lately and I have to say the 375 hasn’t made it out of the safe much since I got the new mistress.

All about the elegance of the package as well - and nothing makes a more elegant or balanced rifle than a .375 H&H! The two below - one a custom rifle on a FN action and the other a R8 with classic sporter stock - exude that balanced elegance.

full

full

Which isn't to say .40 something can't be handsome as well. This .404 Jeffery was built on a CZ action by Craig Libhart. But in hand, it is a beast rather than elegant.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
All about the elegance of the package as well - and nothing makes a more elegant or balanced rifle than a .375 H&H! The two below - one a custom rifle on a FN action and the other a R8 with classic sporter stock - exude that balanced elegance.

full

full

Which isn't to say .40 something can't be handsome as well. This .404 Jeffery was built on a CZ action by Craig Libhart. But in hand, it is a beast rather than elegant.

full
I need a smoke and a nap after what just happen when I saw the pic of the 404.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Red Leg if you ever decide to get rid of that Jeffery I will gladly sell you my soul in exchange :LOL: even then I’m afraid it would come up short but hey the offer stands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinfredFin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!