More thoughts on 9.3x64

Hello Carl,

What a coincidence....!!!! Just yesterday I was reading an old Rifle Magazine, Nº 215, September 2004, where there are a nice articule about the 9,3 caliber cartridges. And there, your rifle were with the original owner!!!
The rifle seems to be exactly the same!!! If it is so, it cames with a lot of hunting histories!!!
Congratulations!!

Best!

CF

Rifle-215-Sep-2004-Articulos-9-3-mm.jpg
Rifle-215-Sep-2004-Articulos-9-3-mm-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Carl,

What a coincidence....!!!! Just yesterday I was reading an old Rifle Magazine, Nº 215, September 2004, where there are a nice articule about the 9,3 caliber cartridges. And there, your rifle were with the original owner!!!
The rifle seems to be exactly the same!!! If it is so, it cames with a lot of hunting histories!!!
Congratulations!!

Best!

CF

View attachment 421043View attachment 421042
Hi, i see very interesting indeed. Thank you for that information. I have heard something about a article of the origin of the rifle but that in was a swedish hunting magazine. Is i possible for you to take some more photos of the article from your magazine and email them to me?

Hello Carl,

Congratulations!!

Best!

CF

View attachment 421043View attachment 421042
Hmm there's a certain difference between a 9,3x74R and a 9,3x64. While I would assume a 9,3x64 chambering being really unique but the 9,3x74R being pretty common.

Hi, i see very interesting indeed. Thank you for that information. I have heard something about a article of the origin of the rifle but that in was a swedish hunting magazine. Is i possible for you to take some more photos of the article from your magazine and email them to me?
Hi @CarlMagnusPantzar, Your private information was removed from your post for privacy reasons. If you want to provide someone your personal information please do so in the Conversation/Private Message (PM) system, thank you.

As per our posting guidelines:
It is not okay to post your own personal information or post links to your personal information, including but not limited to email addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses or identification numbers. If you want to provide someone else your personal information please do so in the Conversation/Private Message (PM) system.

Hmm there's a certain difference between a 9,3x74R and a 9,3x64. While I would assume a 9,3x64 chambering being really unique but the 9,3x74R being pretty common.
Quotation:"So here's what I liked when studying the characteristics of the ammunition, the 9.3x74R cartridge is called a "gentle mother-in-law" ("mother-in-law" is also a "wet nurse" is a pood (40 pounds) sledgehammer in the blacksmith's saying), that is, translating to a hunting one, we get a very lethal, powerful caliber for a large-sized man, at the same time (when using the above bullets with controlled expansiveness), which allows you to apply accurate, without unnecessary tears and bruises wounds on a small target (roe deer and even if necessary for cauldron, capercaillie, black grouse)!".
But this is for double and other break-on guns; 9.3*64 is good for bolt-action and semi-auto too.

Let me revive this thread a bit... because of love for this great round!

I have a couple of questions and remarks which I will post in separate postings, easier to reply and criticize ))

Are there nowadays any manufacturers who offer the Brenneke chambered in their rifles?

I saw a couple of years ago that the new Mauser company (Blaser Group) had them in their cartridge list for the revived M98, but as of of July 2022 it's not in their list.

Voere of Kufstein, Austria, had them in their 2155/2165 Santa Barbara (?) Mausers, but both product lines are discontinued since 2020.

Blaser, CZ/Brno, Sauer, old Oberndorf Mauser, Steyr - they all used to list it in their main bolt action products.

As I see it today, only custom or high-end small series manufacturers are a real option for a new gun chambered in this cartridge.

Any other options ?

I am not yet a reloader (except for shotguns) and don't have the knowledge on that, but I talked recently during a hunt to a nice young fellow, who happened to be quite into reloading. And this guy regularly reloads the 9,3x64 for his father and his old Steyr S rifle.
He talked about reduced loads and that this cartridge is quite flexible and lends itself perfectly for a wide range of bullet weights and reloading to quite different hunting needs. He apparently "downloaded" the x64 to very moderate x62 levels, so his father can handle the kicking and has less energy on driven hunts on smaller game. Bullets used for that are either lead free coppers or the light SP 9,3s intended for the x72R.

If this guy is right (and I don't have any reason to doubt him, can't yet verify his approach in that either..), the x64 would be nice for those less fancy European hunts, where high performance is rather undesirable (destruction of meat).

As there is superb expertise here on reloading the x64, did someone do / has experience with something similar ?

Unfortunately I have not seen any manufacturers.
Now When I have spent some time with my rifle it’s astonishing how low recoil it’s sports compared to both 30.06 and .375!

Orsis might be chambering the 9.3x64 but … good luck with all the embargoes on the Russian Federation.

Bruce Mould's writings were prominent in having a custom Ruger No 1 built in 9.3X64; Yet to be hunted, unfortunately, but a few African PHs have said they'd welcome it in camp, chasing the larger plains game, possibly even Cape Buff... Just me being a bit contrary ...

Orsis might be chambering the 9.3x64 but … good luck with all the embargoes on the Russian Federation.
According to rumors, this cartridge itself was developed by Brennecke as the most powerful cartridge in the dimension of a conventional Mauser 98, which will not require a large redesign of the barrel, bolt group and magazine of this cheap army rifle. How true this is, I do not know, and I have never seen a detailed description of the conversion of a rifle from 8x57 to 9x64 (the old German designation for this caliber). Although in the USA it can be done in most states (in Europe, in my opinion, it is illegal at home).
But, as far as I remember from, alas, the lost forum "Hunting in America", there were a lot of fans of this caliber in the USA. Problems with the purchase of components for reloading were already there - enthusiasts made cases from magnum casings of a suitable size.

don't know about Orsis. I think the Kalashnikov Group (former Lmost bankrupt Izhmash) is currently manufacturing a bolt action Los-9, Push-feed, 2 stage trigger safety. IMHO, a profoundly ugly and crude gun. Topped only by the Tigr and Orsis, but both tactical military guns, aesthetics accordingly.

Honestly, these are not real options. Even without sanctions, I wouldn't. My understanding of a quality hunting rifle gravitates towards classic German and UK gunsmithing.

Harald Wolf also brought back to life the 9,3x65R Brenneke, same pressure and velocity as the 9,3x64 one.
Did he? I've read it remained an idea.

The x65R Brenneke is a fabulous concept, though.
Not to be confused with 9,3x65R Collath, a 120 years old lame duck for old drillings.

Bruce Mould's writings were prominent in having a custom Ruger No 1 built in 9.3X64; Yet to be hunted, unfortunately, but a few African PHs have said they'd welcome it in camp, chasing the larger plains game, possibly even Cape Buff... Just me being a bit contrary ...

Mary, Mary quite contrary.

Mate, if Bruce told you it will do XYZ, then it will do X, Y and Zee with change to spare.

I think it's the 9.3 X 62 that is legal for DG in some African countries so X sixty four is more of a good thing.

Bruce was straight to the point and knew his subject I don't think he was one to embellish things.

Anyway, I hope you get to hunt it somewhere soon.

Mine is a .375H&H but that's simply because it's widely known and easier to source.

Cheers Chris,

Did he? I've read it remained an idea.

The x65R Brenneke is a fabulous concept, though.
Not to be confused with 9,3x65R Collath, a 120 years old lame duck for old drillings.

Here is some about cartridge, i dont have the Hatari number wuich he writes about his rifle here and now.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 3.16.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 3.16.48 PM.png
    428.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 3.16.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 3.16.49 PM.png
    803.9 KB · Views: 73

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maxx532

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.