More thoughts on 9.3x64

Not only SVD. In Russia also produced a civilian version of SVD - "Tiger-9", and bolt rifle "Los' (Moose)-9". The combination of the Moose-9 and cartridges of Barnaul plant (17.5 g, steel brass) - the cheapest of all 9.3 mm in the world. by the Way, in addition to the German RWS, there is also some French company that makes a few rounds in this caliber, one of them with the Nosler Partition, in my opinion-282 gn

The 9.3 x64 in Africa on DG would be allowed everywhere, I would have this too.
An excellent cartridge, more modern than the .375
It came onto the market in 1927 and the colonial world had long since been distributed there.
That it was banned in the English colonies on DG had only political reasons.Even the German Shepherd Dog has been banned or rebaptized,so @Wheels here in AH.
For Europe it is too strong (and too expensive).
@ HWL -Your historical notes on the 9.3 are nonsense.
Foxi

Last edited:
Well, yet for a large brown bear or wild boar ("cleaver") even in Europe it is better to have 9 mm than 7.62.
Caliber prices are really beyond reason: RWS brasses cost about $ 2, and no one else makes them.
This, of course, concerns me very little - these cartridges are available for us at 0.8-1.5 euros. True, not a very good bullet, a simple SP.

IMG_5195.JPG

shot with 9.3x64 in the thicket of CAR
(Speaking of CAR
A fatherly friend of mine (RIP Kurt) was in 1955 the first time in Africa, in CAR.
On his license were 4 elephants and 20 ! buffalo.
Those were still times........)

I once knew a rich good-for-nothing.
Who stayed with his brother two,or three hunting seasons in Mozambique, when the Portuguese still had that to say.
They shot the big game up and down with the 9.3x64 and were very happy with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Importantly, that 64 is placed in Mauser 98 without substantial engineering, and 375 - there is no.
In the US, I think it makes sense to use these brasses, due to their smooth feeding, after rebarreling for .375 bullets.

Not sure rws is manufacturing 9,3x64 brass, rumour has it that they now buy and brand them.. it's still fine brass though.

SHM Germany ( https://huelsenmanufaktur.de/homepage/ ) sells 9,3x64 brass as well. And they apparently ship it internationally.

9,3x64 is a marvelous round it almost equals 375 H&H in energy transfer and offers several advantages; i.e.
- less powder for equal ballistics;
- fits into a standard M98 action (and others), allows for a more compact rifle;
- it feeds more reliably in such actions;
- it doesn't feature the belt as 375 and headspace is defined by case shoulder;
- it has a higher SD;
- a reloader using more progressive powder can get along with a shorter barrel without the extra light at the muzzle.

It was a congenial development by Herr W. Brenneke, a shame that it didn't catch up with 375' international success.

Of course energy levels close to 6.000 J are not needed in Europe, but it's a fine choice for brown bear, heavy elk and maral. Having that level of a punch with 300WM-like trajectory is a nice thing to have when wounded game is paid as harvested...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 9.02.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 9.02.30 AM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 214
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 9.02.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 9.02.31 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 217
Last edited by a moderator:
first i should qualify why i have a 9.3x64.
having owned a 375 h&h with great satisfaction, i just had to see how claims of the x64 stacked up.
intended targets are donkeys, horses, camels, cattle, and ever hopeful of buffalo, in aust, and even less likely, african game up to and including buffalo.
here in oz, these targets in the desert can require a point blank range trajectory out to 300 yds, and enough killing power when they get there.
i will not abide using firearms that scratch things down, considering this a moral issue.
the 9.3 has proven to be a disappointment gun with nosler partition 286 gn bullets.
however 300 gn swift aframes turned that on its head dramatically.
the next test is 286 aframes vs 300, primarily due to the fact that the lighter bullet can run 150 fps faster at the muzzle, and surprisingly has a higher b.c. than the heavier one.
this will give better velocities at 300 yds for bullet expansion.
the 286 bullet has the same sectional density as the 300 gn 375 bullet, so in a way it is in that class, and ahead of the 270 gn 375.
the 300 gn swifts in stock will be kept for buffalo at closer ranges.
a guy gave me 400 cases necked up to 338 from 8mm rem mag.
these would compare with the 340 weatherby, and possibly beat it if the brass is tougher than norma made 340 brass.
probably great for all the species except buff and possibly cattle, compared to 9.3.
the thinking goes on, but testing has to be done.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
Mate I was looking a usedguns.com.au the other day and low and behold someone is selling 9.3x64 brass my son.
Check it out .
Bob.

I think that if it weren't for some of the "real" gun slingers around the world who frequent this site many of the fine old rounds would have disappeared and ones that are not being heavily pushed by major gun manufacturers would have never been heard of.

I tip my ragged old ball hat to you all

pushed by major manufacturers is a very relevent point.
and the fact that modern man is always looking for the excitement of something new.
with regards the 9.3x64, the case is of relatively modern design concept, taking into account reliable feeding.
bruce.

I owned a couple of them, brass was hard to find off and on, they are the equal to the .375 H&H or 375 Ruger, but a poor choice IMO over the 375s from all respects to a logical hunter...Today I,m totally sold on the 375 Ruger and I swore Id never go that route, the H&H had served me so well and Im usually a nostalgic, but this 375 Ruger is really something!! :)

but ray,
if you really want to find out how they relate to the 375, you have to try one in the flesh.
i did and am very happy with it.
once you have some cases, they cease to be an issue.
just buy a few every now and again when you see them to account for attrition.
i like mine as much as the 375 h&h, have it now, and see no point in changing.
bruce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.