Moose loads for .375h&h

Reaction score
Media
Evening gentleman I just confirmed today that I will be going on a cape Breton moose hunt this fall with the chance of a stumble on black bear. I'm wondering what loads you have used for moose size game?

I've worked a load up for it but intended to use it on whitetails. 235 grain flat nose at 1900-2000 fps.

I'm told the country is recently cleancut and shots can be as far as 400yards. My rifle is a zastava model 70 lh with a 1.5-4x20 leupold.

For the game you're describing and depending on accuracy, I think I'd work toward an objective velocity of about 2400 fps with a bullet like the 270 gr A Frame or 270 gr TSX. Not a particularly hot load so there won't be any surprises and, if accurate, would certainly get the job done for your purposes. Then to check the max practical range, sight in for 2-3" high at 100 yds. Set up some moose vital-sized targets (maybe 18-20" diameter bulls) at 250, 300 and 350 yds and find out basic accuracy and trajectory limitations for the shooter, rifle and ammo.

I use a 270 gr Swift A-Frame with H-414. Excellent accuracy and good trajectory. PM me if you want me to dig out my load data. As an aside, I don’t like short stubby bullets, they are not good for BC or penetration. That 235 gr bullet is fine for whitetail at moderate range but it wouldn’t be my choice on a larger animal.

I use a 270 gr Swift A-Frame with H-414. Excellent accuracy and good trajectory. PM me if you want me to dig out my load data. As an aside, I don’t like short stubby bullets, they are not good for BC or penetration. That 235 gr bullet is fine for whitetail at moderate range but it wouldn’t be my choice on a larger animal.

I'll send you a pm Bill , the 235 grains I'm using for my whitetail load are for .375 Winchester I'm using them because I stumbled apon a large quantity relatively cheap and there adaquite for deer at modest velocities.

Sir,

Graf and Sons has Speer .375 285 gr Grand Slams on sale at $17.99/50....if you think they're appropriate for your moose/bear “outing”.

Can't go wrong with a 300g Barnes if it shoots well for you.

Not sure about moose, but I have experience with Eland.
I figure they are pretty close in terms of weight.

First shot was full broadside at 100 yards on the right shoulder.
Bullet recovered just under the skin on the left shoulder.
Second shot into the left ribs as he was quartering away, maybe 125 yards out.
Recovered just in front of the right shoulder under the skin.
The two bullets recovered are the ones to the right, retaining 98% & 99%.

You can see how the right shoulder was completely shredded by the first bullet.
I don't think you will go wrong with 300 grain Swift A-Frames.
1596742448283.png

1596742629159.png

1596742766127.png

Woodleigh protected point in 270gr is very accurate in my M70. I could pretty easily shot out to 250-300 with it. 400 is a pretty good poke with a 375, I can reach out that far accurately with 350gr SMKs, but that isn't going to work for what you need.

I'll send you a pm Bill , the 235 grains I'm using for my whitetail load are for .375 Winchester I'm using them because I stumbled apon a large quantity relatively cheap and there adaquite for deer at modest velocities.
For whatever the hunt is costing you, I would suggest it's bad economics to scrimp on bullets. Other folks have given you some good suggestions, I'll throw 260 gr Nosler Accubonds into the fray as well as Woodleigh PPSP's.

Not sure about moose, but I have experience with Eland.
I figure they are pretty close in terms of weight.

First shot was full broadside at 100 yards on the right shoulder.
Bullet recovered just under the skin on the left shoulder.
Second shot into the left ribs as he was quartering away, maybe 125 yards out.
Recovered just in front of the right shoulder under the skin.
The two bullets recovered are the ones to the right, retaining 98% & 99%.

You can see how the right shoulder was completely shredded by the first bullet.
I don't think you will go wrong with 300 grain Swift A-Frames.
View attachment 361471
View attachment 361472
View attachment 361474
Man, don't you wish you could bring that meat home?!

Man, don't you wish you could bring that meat home?!
We took one of the inside tenderloins and ate it at the next camp.
Really wish I could have snuck some home.

That is a long range. Are you sure your optics is right for the job at that distance.

For whatever the hunt is costing you, I would suggest it's bad economics to scrimp on bullets. Other folks have given you some good suggestions, I'll throw 260 gr Nosler Accubonds into the fray as well as Woodleigh PPSP's.

It's less to do with scrimping and more to do with what can be bought within the time constraints. I've got less then a month to work up a load.

Those 235s mentioned are a whitetail load not a load I intend to use for moose.

I like to say a hot 338 with higher power and 50 mm lenses will be my choice (if) for that range. Yes Moose is large and you are not shooting at the Moose but its vitals which is not that big. May be the size of milk jug. My openion a 265 gr LR ACCUBOND will be good choice in a hot 338.

More over a good Moose country often have Big Grizzlies as well. So a few 275gr Aframe 338 ammo for back up in case.

Didn't you buy a 340 laser mark this year. That will do what you want with flying colors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg