Monometal bullets for Deer

I have not shot any deer yet but in mid October my son will be testing some GS Custom 40gr hv in his 22-250 on deer I will make a full report on speed and performance on paper and hopefully deer then.

I was a little concerned about 40gr but after talking to the folks a GS Custom they said that 40gr was best match to the rifles twist. I will keep all the data and post to a new thread when complete.
Till then good luck and straight shooting to all.
Shawn

Yes I checked about 10 different cartridges at the gun shop and that is what I found. I checked 2 different brands also using their bullets. Then I loaded mine the same way and the accuracy improved greatly. I also spoke to the people at Barnes a number of times while figuring out the best loads for me and friends/family. This is why I posted that.

thanks you have undoubtedly saved me a great deal of time and money. I'll be trying the 129gr LRX in 270 win 24" barrel but at Barnes suggested COL the band isn't close to being covered. Long bullet protrudes well into the case. Not sure which powder to try first. Any suggestions you have are appreciated.

Superformance
IMR4350
H4831
RL22

^^^^ What cartridge are you loading those 129gr bullets in. If you can get .050-.080 jump you will probably be ok. If you are loading in a case smaller than 264win mag you really will probably be better off with the 100gr TTSX bullets and they fly a long way out there. This would be for hunting. If only target shooting where no expansion is needed then the 129 would be just fine. Just my thoughts on it.

^^^^ What cartridge are you loading those 129gr bullets in. If you can get .050-.080 jump you will probably be ok. If you are loading in a case smaller than 264win mag you really will probably be better off with the 100gr TTSX bullets and they fly a long way out there. This would be for hunting. If only target shooting where no expansion is needed then the 129 would be just fine. Just my thoughts on it.

it is for a 270 win. Barnes load data says I should get 3200fps and they supposedly open lower at 1700fps (2200 to be safe). That would mean 500yds (way further than I can shoot without a bipod and a bag). Should I start at their COL or load to the top groove and what powder do you like for the 270 I have never reloaded for it.

Thx

Sorry do not load the 270. Never liked it. Just me.
I would start loading at the top groove. If for some weird reason accuracy is poor(which has never happened to me) then change the OAL.
I would pick the powder that the Barnes data show for the highest speed with less than a 104% fill. I have seen Barnes show loads with about 110% fill but I could never get that much into the case. I usually try the top 3-4 powders they show to see if one is more accurate. Usually one is for me. You can do as you like but I have found that using their max loads to start with saves a lot of expensive bullets and time. I have never had a pressure problem using their max loads to start with or starting lower I was always able to get to the max loads safely. Some cartridges I have also gotten data from Hodgdons website and other reliable places(mag articles and such) that show higher loads than Barnes or more powder selection.

Hope this helps you out.

Sorry do not load the 270. Never liked it. Just me.
I would start loading at the top groove. If for some weird reason accuracy is poor(which has never happened to me) then change the OAL.
I would pick the powder that the Barnes data show for the highest speed with less than a 104% fill. I have seen Barnes show loads with about 110% fill but I could never get that much into the case. I usually try the top 3-4 powders they show to see if one is more accurate. Usually one is for me. You can do as you like but I have found that using their max loads to start with saves a lot of expensive bullets and time. I have never had a pressure problem using their max loads to start with or starting lower I was always able to get to the max loads safely. Some cartridges I have also gotten data from Hodgdons website and other reliable places(mag articles and such) that show higher loads than Barnes or more powder selection.

Hope this helps you out.

It sure does. Thanks.

You are welcome
Enjoy your rifle.........even if it is a 270 :)

I have had great success with 80gr TTSX bullets in the 257R/25-06 and 257Weatherby. I have some 100 gr TTSX to try in the 257Weatherby but since the 80gr ones work so well I have not tried loading the 100gr bullets.

The e-tips are much like the old Barnes X-bullet and it was a poor design. I love Nosler Partition just wish they would cut some relief grooves into the E-tip bullets.

Use TTSX and not the TSX. Seat them deep---to the top relief groove. Push them fast--seems the faster I push them in any caliber/cartridge the more accurate they are. The faster you push them the better the terminal performance is. Go lighter weight bullets than you usually use--they work like a lead core bullet 30% heavier--they also expand better.

We have used the TTSX bullets for deer/hogs and a sheep so far. Took a 30-06 with them to Africa but never used the rifle. I used a 338win mag with 225gr A-Frames and my daughter used a 257R with 120gr A-Frames---everything died and tracking was not required for more than 80 yards on any animal.

Very good advice IMO. I haven't used the TTSX or TSX in a .25 caliber but have used the 110 grain TTSX in .270 on deer and hogs. Performance is in a word....devastating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briansmith4631

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois