Micro Red Dot Sight Options for Double Rifles

With a semi auto pistol what makes the big forces is the sudden stop at the end of the slide travel and that's what kills the reflex sights.

I wouldn't dismiss them, but I'd be very careful and I wouldnt be trying the lower budget ones.

I shoot 3 gun (quite a lot, and seriously), these reflex sights are very very popular in certain divisions in the sport. Without wanting to learn how to calculate it exactly, I can tell you with a fair amount of certainty that a big bore rifle is harder on then than a semi automatic pistol. Even in a slide ride configuration, with light springs and therefore fast slides, as well as hot loads (124gr 9mm going like 1400fps+), it doesn't come close to the abuse of a big bore.

There are reflex sights that are fairly durable on our pistols but will fail commonly on a semi-auto shotgun. This also tends to support my educated guess on a big bore being more violent than a pistol on the optic.

Regardless, however, I have seen many of them fail and have killed quite a few personally. The aimpoints arent popular in the sport so no data there, but the RMRs are very much so and I've never seen one fail. The Leopold's and Holosun have proven very good as well but again, just personally, I trust certain things for national championships but with my life I go with the largest amount of data. I know these are commonly used for self defense pistols too but let's be honest, if you hunt much DG you're more likely to use your big bore to defend your life than a pistol (thankfully)

I'll reach out to my friends at Trijicon and get their thoughts on big bores vs aggressive pistols on abusing the sights out of curiosity.
Thanks everyone. I bought a Holosun sight. It has a titanium base and hood and saw rifle test video. It looks indestructible with with vision both eyes open for fast shots. $300 Brownells

Thanks everyone. I bought a Holosun sight. It has a titanium base and hood and saw rifle test video. It looks indestructible with with vision both eyes open for fast shots. $300 Brownells
I switched to Holosuns on my competition shotgun and have so far been rather impressed. Which model did you go with?

Keep us updated on how it holds up on the big bore, I wouldnt expect any issues but first hand experience would be appreciated

I have recently purchased a Leica Tempus sight (2MOA) for my non-hunting, pump-action shotgun. However, I'm not convinced it's the right sight for the intended use. Since I wasn't able to return it, I spent another 70EUR and purchased a Recknagel mounting base for my DR. Total installation time under two minutes, on and off in a matter of seconds. I haven't had the chance to zero it yet, but I'm impressed with it so far.

K1.jpeg
K2.jpeg

I have recently purchased a Leica Tempus sight (2MOA) for my non-hunting, pump-action shotgun. However, I'm not convinced it's the right sight for the intended use. Since I wasn't able to return it, I spent another 70EUR and purchased a Recknagel mounting base for my DR. Total installation time under two minutes, on and off in a matter of seconds. I haven't had the chance to zero it yet, but I'm impressed with it so far.

View attachment 390169View attachment 390170

Looks great! I like the Tempus. I also have 2 of those Recknagel dovetail mounts which I use for cheap running boar range practice on my .22lr and my .223 Rem

Scrummy

Looks great! I like the Tempus. I also have 2 of those Recknagel dovetail mounts which I use for cheap running boar range practice on my .22lr and my .223 Rem

Scrummy

This sight is really nice with big window and very clear glass. I’ll get something for the shottie, something with 5 or maybe 7 moa dot.

This sight is really nice with big window and very clear glass. I’ll get something for the shottie, something with 5 or maybe 7 moa dot.
Interesting you are wanting a bigger dot.

My Benelli pump is mainly used for shooting turning targets at 25yds and in with slugs and I think the 3.5MOA Burris I have on their works well.

Scrummy

Normally, I prefer fine reticles and small dots but this is for 11” barrel 12g pump for home defence scenario. I was actually surprised that the 2moa dot was too small but I did some night time drills and for that I want a bigger dot, having said so 3.5moa is significantly bigger that 2 so it might indeed be sufficient.

Normally, I prefer fine reticles and small dots but this is for 11” barrel 12g pump for home defence scenario. I was actually surprised that the 2moa dot was too small but I did some night time drills and for that I want a bigger dot, having said so 3.5moa is significantly bigger that 2 so it might indeed be sufficient.

I understand. An interesting compromise might be the Burris Fastfire IV. Various reticles from a 3MOA to other crazy stuff.

1614027446972.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg