Medium Bore Dilemma

@MRBlack , you are definitely lacking several calibers. My suggestion would be to acquire a 338WM initially, as they are readily available, then build a 350 Norma Mag. It would also be advisable to find a good, pre-war 9.3x62 to make sure you have the medium bore range covered. Putting a 35 Whelen in there wouldn't hurt either (I hear they can be moderately effective). Might be smart to put a 333J and 318WR in the safe as well.
Without these additions at a minimum, you will struggle to have the proper caliber for the assortment of game out there waiting to be pursued. A rifle for each species of animal is actually the best method to be sure and make the most humane kill possible.

(Btw-just show your wife this post to explain why these are needed)
@Woodcarver
He could get a little 338 win mag, a 9.3x62 and a mighty Whelen and spend a life time exploring the differences and similarities of theses thre alone. Let's not start on doing the same with the 375H&H and 375 Ruger then he can move onto the 416s.
So yes he needs more to find out what suits his needs.
Bob

there is an aspect here there hasn’t been up. How many shots does one want to shoot a year with his medium bore? If the caliber choice is fpr strictly hunting plus a few sigters by all mean why not chose something exotic like .318WR or the .333J?.

I haven’t shot my .333J in four years so I don’t care about cost of factory ammo if I was depended on that alone. My next hunt will envolve that caliber however. Looking forward to here in spring to warm it up. I will check for the first time how downsized 250grain sierra bullets works. The ironsights are regulated for the 300grain longpill but using the scope sighted in for the faster 250grain makes the rifle is even more versatile.
The 9,3mauser is a perfect choice. If one want more huff&puff in 9,3mm the Brenneke 9,3x64 or the DWM magnum 9,3x70 is a way. The 9,5x66 Vom Hofe is Rockstar but then the versatility of the medium caliber starts to vanish.

A perfect medium bore rifle is a rifle that can be build light, and if needed can bring down even the biggest if cornered in a tight spot.

I like many others, I would recommend one of .338WM, .35 Whelen or 9.3x63. .338WM hits hard but for me, at both ends. .35 Whelen is very interesting but where I am not that common and I'm challenged when it comes to reloading and gathering all the components (I have too many others already). So, for me, it is 9.3x62. You have 30-06 for bush with heavy bullets and flatter shooting with light ones. You have .375 for the same but at higher power level. Get 9.3 and enjoy the rainbows or the power up close. All in relatively light and comfy rifle with, also relatively, light recoil and blast. If .35 Whelen is popular in your end of the wood, it might flatten the 9.3 trajectory a little with lighter bullets. The 9.3 I like with bullets in original 285/286gr weight. All other calibers I seem to like a light and a heavy load for some reason. The 9.3 make life so much simpler. I think I just talked myself into keeping mine just for that.

Good day gents,

I am contemplating a possible weak spot in my current battery. I have several rifles in the medium game class (30-06, 280 Rem, 6.5-06) and several larger bores (375 H&H, 416 Rem, 500 NE) but don’t have much in between. I have a 300 RUM but have been considering a 338 Winchester for a little more mass on target. Do I stand to gain anything from a 338, or any other medium bores for that matter? Is there any other cartridge recommendations? I currently reload everything so oddball cartridges aren’t an issue. Thanks in advance,

-MR Black
You stand to gain the fun of owning another gun.

There are a few odd and interesting choices.
top two for me would be
333jeffery standard load of 300gr or lighter 250gr
or 318wr with the standard 250gr load

then perhaps
8x68S

but neither of these will do more or less than the 338’s.
they’re just different and effective.

There’s not much to gain from these over the 300’s or the 375 which you have.
Why not a 8x68 with 250gr woodleighs?

Good day gents,

I am contemplating a possible weak spot in my current battery. I have several rifles in the medium game class (30-06, 280 Rem, 6.5-06) and several larger bores (375 H&H, 416 Rem, 500 NE) but don’t have much in between. I have a 300 RUM but have been considering a 338 Winchester for a little more mass on target. Do I stand to gain anything from a 338, or any other medium bores for that matter? Is there any other cartridge recommendations? I currently reload everything so oddball cartridges aren’t an issue. Thanks in advance,

-MR Black
MR Black, good day to you sir. Ah, medium bore rifles near and dear to my heart. I offer the following choices with the understanding it's what works for you. First I offer the .358 Winchester. Light handy rifle in a short action that hits way above its paper ballistics. I get my best results with 225grn bullets. With 180's it will do anything a 30-06 will do. One of my favorites. Want a wide selection of bullet weights? Go with a 338-06. With bullets up to 225grn will almost match a 338 Win Mag (proven with a chronology) FACTORY loads. Only when you go with the heavier bullets does the Magnum outstep it. Less powder and recoil! deadly accurate. Want more punch with a 35? My close friend Bob Nelson will sing the praise of the 35 Whelen and for good reason. Another over achiever and able to use bullets up into the 300grn range. Matches the old Rigby 350 Magnum but with readily available brass and bullets. Just PM Bob and he'll share what he knows about that grand cartridge. Next is my personel favorite. The 9.3X62. With modern powders and the fantastic powders available now it's another over achiever. You can almost match FACTORY 9.3X64 ballistics and in a number of jurisdictions legal for dangerous game. Bullets up to 310grn are available. Wide selection of powders and seems to shoot everything into tiny groups. My last recommendation is the time proven and honored 375 H&H. All that's been said about this grand round is sufficient and I can't top that.
The bottom line is, choose what strikes your fancy. Not what someone else thinks you should have. That's the beauty of this sport. It's all about what you think. There's a difference between need and want. If you want it, and have the means, Then why not? Enjoy your journey sir. Looking forward to hearing about your selection.

Hi Rick,

Agree with your comments: "The 9.3X62. With modern powders and the fantastic powders available now it's another over achiever. You can almost match FACTORY 9.3X64 ballistics and in a number of jurisdictions legal for dangerous game. Bullets up to 310grn are available. Wide selection of powders and seems to shoot everything into tiny groups."

CF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winworldrealty

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.